'85 CJ7 gear shifter knob thread size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '85 CJ7 gear shifter knob thread size?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Skurz
1985 CJ7 

'85 CJ7 gear shifter knob thread size?

Anybody know for sure the thread size of the gear shifter knob on an '85 CJ7 with a T5 tranny? I can't seem to get a definitive answer off the net. I think that it's 3/8-16...I think. But some sites are saying that it's 3/8-24. From what I've read, the '80-86s are the same, and the thread size is the same for the T5/T4/T176/T177 and Dana 300s... but what is that thread size?
If anybody knows without a doubt, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Skurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

I have an 82 cj7 and I ordered a 3/8-16 from the vendor that sells pool ball knobs here and it did not fit my T4. It doesn't seem to be wide enough or the threading is different because it is not catching.
apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Skurz
1985 CJ7 

Nobody's jumping all over this one I see. Like I said before, I couldn't find anything conclusive on the net, even from vendors. One guy would tell me that it's 100% this size, the next would tell me that it's 100% that size. I ended up getting a universal fit one, which looks awesome, but was a piece of junk. The knob is great looking, but that's about it. It came with different size sleeves and 3 teeny weeny little allen head bolts that are supposed to hold it securely to the shaft...yeah, right. The first time that I would have shifted her into 2nd the knob would have ended up through the windshield of the guy behind me. Anyway, I modified it and it's super tight now. I think that the only way to know for sure what will fit on your shifter is to go down to the good old hardware store, buy a couple of nuts..say one 3/8x16 and one 3/8x24 which are your two likely candidates. Keep track of which is which, and the one that screws onto your shifter will give you your answer. But from what you said, it sounds like you need a 3/8X24.
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Skurz
1985 CJ7 

I spoke to one guy who's been selling shifter knobs since forever, and he told me that Jeep CJs varied from year to year, between 3/8X16 and 3/8X24 thread patterns. He even said that they often varied within the same model year and that it's impossible to say which one you have without looking at it or trying a nut on it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.