85 CJ FrakenJeep AKA Blackcheep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 85 CJ FrakenJeep AKA Blackcheep

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAMP Research Powersteps - A Morris 4x4 Center Promotion

Unread 11-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
blackcheep
1985 CJ7 

85 CJ FrakenJeep AKA Blackcheep

The build began this weekend. Well more of a rebuild/finish. I got this Jeep partially complete. Stripped the items I needed out of the way to clean up the rust. It seems the holes get bigger as you cut the rust away. Plasma cutter is coming in very handy. I knew it would one day. Its pretty solid compared to others I looked at. Itís a winter project so I will try to get pics and details as I get it done. Hope to have done for the spring.

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Thanks J

blackcheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
spartan717

Subbed. I do so love CJ builds
-Why are you still reading this?
spartan717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Deeremech
1983 CJ7 

Black
I'm going to start doing the same after thanksgiving! Hopefully not too much rust
image_1447623847847.jpg  
Deeremech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
blackcheep
1985 CJ7 

Day two complete....

Beauty Jeep Deeremech I think your ahead of me already hahaha

Well more rust than I expected but not as much as I feared. Make sense? The driver floor was toast. Failed the screw driver test. Its very scientific . The frame just back of the front rear spring perch is soft on both sides. Thought it had a good frame hard to tell till you tear into it. I am going to get some steel channel and fix it with the strong stuff. Also going to make some reinforced holes so I can flush the dirt out. Stuff pics didn't show. I have the rad out and all the really sketchy wiring removed. I have never seen so many splices in my life. The heater controls and wiring is much worse than I hoped. I may need to find a whole setup from another jeep. Many things missing. Looks like some made a GM control fit and broke a control cable. Will have to see what's out there. I am also thinking a replacement dash might me nice. Will have to see if that fits the budget. The aluminum checker plate is getting old already . Got all the rust cut out. Went bigger than the actually damage in few spots to clean it up. Cut out some old poor repairs from years ago by the looks of it. It seems the jeep was once white with orange stripes. That would be sweet . The black paint is barley attached comes off if you just look at it. The red is very thick under it so makes a huge mess to sand off. Will have to try some other techniques. When the panels were hot from cutting it rolled off so might try that method. I figure it will be black again. Plan to paint it with DOM16. Pulled all the stuff on the motor that was not needed. Surprised it ran so good with all the vacuum leaks. Getting a new rad and water pump. Got to order some sheet metal and some steel tomorrow. Will update as it progress....

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Unread 11-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Deeremech
1983 CJ7 

Looks good so far! My frame is junk as far as I'm concerned it could be repaired but I found a deal on craigs! A mint cj7 frame from a guy who moved up here in Maine from New Jersey it had been in a garage for 20 years sitting on jack stands for $400.
I think that I'll be in the same boat with rust. I'm gonna send the tub off to a media blaster and then fire up the welder. It's a trail rig I just want rust gone.
Unread 11-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
blackcheep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeremech View Post
Looks good so far! My frame is junk as far as I'm concerned it could be repaired but I found a deal on craigs! A mint cj7 frame from a guy who moved up here in Maine from New Jersey it had been in a garage for 20 years sitting on jack stands for $400.
I think that I'll be in the same boat with rust. I'm gonna send the tub off to a media blaster and then fire up the welder. It's a trail rig I just want rust gone.
Just two small spots in the frame. I am gonna go over kill on the repair as i want to make it trail tough. Its going to be a trail rig too but just barely street legal. Sounds like a nice find on the frame. This one has had a frame if someone would have just removed the bump stops it would be fine. Hole under each. The tub is not too bad. If the floors were more bad and the back had gone much further i would say a tub was needed but then i wouldn't have bought it hahahaha . Didn't get any pics last night not much happening. Just setup my new toy err ahh tool. Picked up a esab tig welder got a killer deal on a demo unit. Just need to do some practice and then get to the patching. More to come.......

Josh
Unread 11-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
Deeremech
1983 CJ7 

Which tig did you get, I'm thinking about that new esab 3 function unit (mig,tig,stick)for my home shop, I have millers at my fab shop but I don't need a big machine at home.
Unread 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
blackcheep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeremech View Post
Which tig did you get, I'm thinking about that new esab 3 function unit (mig,tig,stick)for my home shop, I have millers at my fab shop but I don't need a big machine at home.
My buddy in the business wouldn't sell me one of those it was less money too. Said no good. I got the caddy 2200i? or 220i I forget the exact model. Its works really nice. I just have to learn how to use it hahaha.

Small update. Fresh off the 3D printer a bunch of custom size hold downs. I made a whole bunch of different types and then will print out the exact sizes i need. Should work out pretty slick.

[/URL]

Josh
Unread 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
blackcheep
1985 CJ7 

Progress Slows....

Well not feeling it this weekend. I think a bit of cold or something has set in. Some update pics. The frame cleaning was interesting. There was some serious mouse activity at some point in the driver side frame rail. Pulled a decent nest out and lets just say the odour was unpleasant. My patent pending tool is awesome. Dollar store wire brush (who knew) and some old fish sticks from work. You can see how much crap came out. I cleaned up once before the pics. There was a ton of sand and rusticles. The patch panels may get scrapped and redone not super happy with them and couldn't find my plasma ruler. Also figure i would show my poor mans plasma table . Got the spring mounts off that went pretty easy. More progress soon. Going to focus on learning to tig weld before I go much further.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.