84 cj 7.5 lcog - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 84 cj 7.5 lcog

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #61
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj

Im not saying you have to go full hydro, cant the box be pushed back farther or is it into the radiator?? Maybe the picture makes it look worse than it is You could also go with an astro box its a forward throw box like the jk but way way cheaper. I just think you would benefit from not having so much frame sticking out in front of your grill and your drag link sticking so far out in front
The current box is as far bak as possible. I actually had to move the tie rod b/c it was hitting the uber thick BTF diff cover. I would consider the Astro/ JK style box, but there is just no room. The bottom of the radiator is pushed forward to clear the diff. The grill was gutted. There is less than an inch between the rad and front o the grill. I'm already cutting the front of the grill to make room for the PS hoses. If there was room for the box, not sure I could mount it to the frame there b/c of all the material I had to remove to clear the tie rod at full stuff. The shock hoop and extra gusset/ fish plates should reinforce that area for what I need. Thanks for the comments. Ill take all I can get.

84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #62
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj

Im not saying you have to go full hydro, cant the box be pushed back farther or is it into the radiator?? Maybe the picture makes it look worse than it is You could also go with an astro box its a forward throw box like the jk but way way cheaper. I just think you would benefit from not having so much frame sticking out in front of your grill and your drag link sticking so far out in front
P. S.
I can't move the current box back b/c the pitman arm will hit the tie rod
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #63
84jeepcj7rock

Oh my, the hood clears the shock towers. Thought I was gonna have to cut some holes

image-3048936344.jpg
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #64
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok here comes my 2 cents...lol first off let me start by saying you know I think your build is sweet, but what did you use to cut those fenders? your bowie knife???? no wait I know a hack saw...lol I don't use anything but my angle grinder for cutting even cut 2 6"round hole in the 1/8" plate for dsh in the big dj...with a little practice you can make much cleaner sweeter cuts..now I do have a plasma but its broken at the moment so really its just a big metal box...second im assuming or guessing that the pics are not at ride height so maybe your approach isn't as bad as other due is saying but I can understand his point tho all the traction and gearing in the world wont do a thing if your framed or diffed...I have boocoos of experience in this category...lol...I remember this one hole/obstacle, and there was this tree that could move. no matter what line I took to try and get out that tree ended up right in front of me..tore my truck to heck and back after about 30min I said f*** this and whipped out my handy dandy chainsaw and well off we went...moral of story if I could have gotten my bumper up over the side where I was trying to get out that tree would still be alive..lets bow our head for the fallen...just out of curiosity are you planning to write up a budget page on the costs of the materials I would like to see approx. cost for the frame and premade mounts tabs towers etc..?...I could just go virtual shopping and do the math my self but im lazy..

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #65
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep
ok here comes my 2 cents...lol first off let me start by saying you know I think your build is sweet, but what did you use to cut those fenders? your bowie knife???? no wait I know a hack saw...lol I don't use anything but my angle grinder for cutting even cut 2 6"round hole in the 1/8" plate for dsh in the big dj...with a little practice you can make much cleaner sweeter cuts..now I do have a plasma but its broken at the moment so really its just a big metal box...second im assuming or guessing that the pics are not at ride height so maybe your approach isn't as bad as other due is saying but I can understand his point tho all the traction and gearing in the world wont do a thing if your framed or diffed...I have boocoos of experience in this category...lol...I remember this one hole/obstacle, and there was this tree that could move. no matter what line I took to try and get out that tree ended up right in front of me..tore my truck to heck and back after about 30min I said f*** this and whipped out my handy dandy chainsaw and well off we went...moral of story if I could have gotten my bumper up over the side where I was trying to get out that tree would still be alive..lets bow our head for the fallen...just out of curiosity are you planning to write up a budget page on the costs of the materials I would like to see approx. cost for the frame and premade mounts tabs towers etc..?...I could just go virtual shopping and do the math my self but im lazy..
Lmfao! I think I just got hammered by the guy that used a keg as jack stand. Lol. For the record, I used a plasma to cut the fenders and no, that is not how they will stay. Just needed to get enough room to clear the tires while it is sitting on the bumps. Which brings me to the original issue. Yes the approach angle is better at ride height but not ideal. Should be fine for clearing speed bump at the local mall. As far as cost of materials, I try not to add things up. If my wife ever finds out, I'm in deep S@@@!
I think 170 for the 40' of 2"x3", 120 for the BTF front shock towers, 100 in misc tabs and around 300 for GenRight rear shock mounts and transmission mount. So with welding / grinding supplies, misc plate for fish plates/ gussets and I still have to make front and rear bumpers, I'll be close to grand for the frame and suspension mounts. I didn't need to see that. It's a lot easier to digest when you just spend a hundred here and a hundred there.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #66
84jeepcj7rock

I love the clean looks o the Walker Evans CJ buggy built by Campbell Ent. So I went with a basic 2" tube up front and the 1.75" BTF grill hoop. This pic is at full compression. You can see by the shadow that the bumper isn't real crazy out front. I plan on running 4" of up travel so the approach angle should be decent

image-4175186002.jpg
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #67
84jeepcj7rock

image-2538791359.jpg
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #68
84jeepcj7rock

Took my old winch plate and cut it down to fit as low as possible. Got lucky, the winch just barely fits between the passenger side frame and the steering box. Any thoughts on how to tie it into the driver side frame.

image-545151715.jpg
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #69
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
So, you get stuck and you cut a tree down? Your recovery skills must be as good as your typing skills.

Sorry to the OP but that had to be said.

Nice build by the way.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #70
84jeepcj7rock

No problem. Well said.

On to more Jeepin.

image-2410964972.jpg
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
84jeepcj7rock

Just got a sweet Dead Monkey in the mail. The only good monkey is a dead monkey.
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #72
84jeepcj7rock

Gusset plate for the driver side frame rail. Ties in with the shock hoop and grill hoop. Brought it forward to reinforce the steering box mount. Cut some holes in it to add to the weld surface.

image-1000483546.jpg
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #73
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
So, you get stuck and you cut a tree down? Your recovery skills must be as good as your typing skills.

Sorry to the OP but that had to be said.

Nice build by the way.
Ok first off I wasn't stuck I was in a red clay bowl with 2' of water at 2:30am with wife and 3 tired kids....winch burnt a spot in main armerture earlier that day when we were recovering a buddys k-5 blazer w blown454 and 54x33 flotations who decided to drive his drunk self across the river...20 miles upstream it was raining heavy, water came up about 3 inches by time he was coming back water picked up his truck and carried him down the river...it took six trucks, 4 canoes,3hrs and1 naked dude to recover what was left....he lost 25000$ in his all ceramic supercharged 454...and I can't stand a Chevy...anyway where we were riding had several entrances....and we headed back to the house around 12:00 on a 1.5 hr journey thru trails you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy...once in the bowl i had no other options...when you run 44s highlifts don't do much and no-one was answering the phone...the tree had been being beat on for years and was badly eaten up with carpenter ants and prolly would have fallen sooner tan later...and yes my typing skills suck I have carpal tunnel and tendonitis and hitting the stupid little letters on phone hard...secondly I was defending brother on his approach not ragging...nor was I bragging about having to cut down a tree....but I threw the story in to basicly share a time when approach angle would have helped me out....and then there's the fact that my poor recovery skills made me almost $3000 that year...recovering the trucks daddy bought for thier spoilt rotten kids who should never have been any where near off-road....

To the proud owner of this build...I'm glad you could see my humor and I hope you got more from my post than the above quoted did...and personaly from the side with the uptravel your talking about it should be pretty wicked...as far as hammering ya I wasn't really from the pics the cut just looked a little wavy...that's all...

Last edited by freaknajeep; 09-22-2013 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: wrong wording
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #74
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Just got a sweet Dead Monkey in the mail. The only good monkey is a dead monkey.
On for fear of lookin dumb...ummm what is a dead monkey???

Unread 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #75
84jeepcj7rock

Muppet Labs sent me some killer stickers. I'm sure you've seen his build on here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.