84 cj 7.5 lcog - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 84 cj 7.5 lcog

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #256
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJeeper
How cold is it there?
Avg around 50deg

84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #257
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We had our first freeze the other night and now all the belts in our paint booth are squealing. Standard v-shape belts. I was just wondering if the outside temp played a factor. Does it go away when you actually let run a while?
TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #258
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
We had our first freeze the other night and now all the belts in our paint booth are squealing. Standard v-shape belts. I was just wondering if the outside temp played a factor. Does it go away when you actually let run a while?
It's very erratic. It seems to get better as it warms up. But if I stop at a light. It starts all over again. Sometimes I can hit high RPMs in 3rd gear and it will go away. Other times, I can lug it in 4th and it will stop. Non stop while wheeling.
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #259
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This a shot in the dark but put just a little lithium grease on each pulley and see if it quits. If it does you know you still have a place that's not riding quite right. If it fixes it wipe it all off and keep looking.
Unread 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #260
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
This a shot in the dark but put just a little lithium grease on each pulley and see if it quits. If it does you know you still have a place that's not riding quite right. If it fixes it wipe it all off and keep looking.
Let me make sure I have you right. Put lithium grease on the pulley. The idea being that it will reduce any friction from misalignment and therefore reduce squealing. If it does not reduce squealing, then the problem is probably the PS pump or water pump since the belt and alt have been replaced.
Unread 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #261
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post

Let me make sure I have you right. Put lithium grease on the pulley. The idea being that it will reduce any friction from misalignment and therefore reduce squealing. If it does not reduce squealing, then the problem is probably the PS pump or water pump since the belt and alt have been replaced.
Sounds right to me.. Except instead of greasing all pulleys at once, it would be better to go one by one... That way you'll know which one it is, if it its indeed the culprit.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #262
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ

Sounds right to me.. Except instead of greasing all pulleys at once, it would be better to go one by one... That way you'll know which one it is, if it its indeed the culprit.
That's what I was thinking. Now if I could spend less that 12hrs at work, I might actually get to fix this thing
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #263
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ
This was the point. To isolate a pulley or an issue. How ever the grease will spread fast.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #264
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:

This was the point. To isolate a pulley or an issue. How ever the grease will spread fast.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it when I get some time. I love this forum. It is a serious resource!
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #265
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I use "Prozac" grease myself..."lithium" grease only works if your belts are bi-polar or manic depressive...the "Prozac" grease should make all belts happy I think....but on a serious note wouldn't adding grease to the belt just make it slip more....kinda like when I used WD40 on the squeaking on my disc front brakes on my first car(76 olds cutlass)...the squeaking stopped!...but then so did the stopping...don't laugh this is a true story...the can does say "stops squeaks" in big ole letters...my stepmom bout rang my neck(she was driving it at the time)...and to think I later on became an ase certified master mechanic(way back in the early 90's) on euro-trash to boot...well good luck with what seems to be your squealing nemesis...just thought id add a little humor to your day...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #266
84jeepcj7rock

Yeah I just finished reading that on your thread. Lmfao.
It will definitely make it slip but it should isolate whether or not the squeak is coming from the belt or a bad bearing etc. it probably won't charge worth a **** until I clean the grease off. Just picked some lithium up at the Summit Store. I'm like a kid on crack when I walk I that place. Too much eye candy!
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #267
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The lithium grease idea was a diagnosis type idea. Not a fix.

What is this summit store you speak of and where might I find one?
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #268
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
The lithium grease idea was a diagnosis type idea. Not a fix.

What is this summit store you speak of and where might I find one?
Summit Racing has a retail store on the south side of Atlanta. I think they have 4-5 around the country that are attached to their distribution warehouses. 20,000 sq ft of polished intakes, cooling systems, superchargers , you name it. Kid in a candy store.
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #269
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

So just read through this build. Creamed my paints a few times along the way. Loving it man keep it up!
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #270
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski
So just read through this build. Creamed my paints a few times along the way. Loving it man keep it up!
Thanks man. Trying to get everything buttoned up and a new set of tires so I can drive it cross country. Plan is to leave it in Phoenix at a buddies until summer so we can hit KOH and Moab sometime around Easter Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.