84 cj 7.5 lcog - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 84 cj 7.5 lcog

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #226
84jeepcj7rock

Micky and the guys at Mild 2 Wild did a great job fixing the hood and laying down the Winter Chill

image-1794728713.jpg

84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #227
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
. Just seen your Jeep on Crawls FB page.
I thought that jeep looked familiar.
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #228
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Dude, I thought this was a real time build. I was about to say you work really fast.

Just seen your Jeep on Crawls FB page.
I did everything in about 4 months. It helps when your wife is pissed about having to park her car in the driveway. Lets just say she kept me motivated to get out of "her" garage. I wish I had known about this forum when I started.
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #229
84jeepcj7rock

I tried to make a new tranny cover from the leftover 6061 that I cut out of the corner guard for the wheel opening. Tried to beat it with a hammer. Nothing. Heated it with a Mapp torch an beat it. Nothing. Put 2 4x4s under the back of my Tundra. Laid the Aluminun on it. Heated it w torch. Used the Hi Loft to jack the Tundra off the ground with the base of jack on the aluminum. Nothing. Took it to a shop and put it in a 20 ton press. Got maybe a 1/4". Holy **** this stuff is tuff.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #230
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock
I tried to make a new tranny cover from the leftover 6061 that I cut out of the corner guard for the wheel opening. Tried to beat it with a hammer. Nothing. Heated it with a Mapp torch an beat it. Nothing. Put 2 4x4s under the back of my Tundra. Laid the Aluminun on it. Heated it w torch. Used the Hi Loft to jack the Tundra off the ground with the base of jack on the aluminum. Nothing. Took it to a shop and put it in a 20 ton press. Got maybe a 1/4". Holy **** this stuff is tuff.
Yeah I ran into that problem also, I ended up cutting slots and bending it that way.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #231
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
This statement alone is making me consider whether I should save the extra coin for aluminum armor. I thought it was just a gimmick, but if that's your experience, I guess it could really take a beating, huh?
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #232
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ
This statement alone is making me consider whether I should save the extra coin for aluminum armor. I thought it was just a gimmick, but if that's your experience, I guess it could really take a beating, huh?
Stuff takes a beating then usually springs back.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #233
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post

Stuff takes a beating then usually springs back.
Any transfer of damage to the body itself?
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #234
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:

This stuff is unreal. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it. It's 3/16" and much stronger that 1/4" plate. And lighter to boot. It my scratch easier, but like Hendrix says, it just goes back to shape.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #235
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:

Any transfer of damage to the body itself?
I am assuming you mean body damage behind a corner guard. It is reasonable to think that if you hit hard enough to bend the aluminum and body panel in, then the aluminum might spring back and not the body panel. However, there are enough fasteners holding the two together that this shouldn't happen. If it did, I would just take a rubber mallet and beat the inside back to shape and no one would know.
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #236
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yea, I saw this on the other website too. Why not just cut to present time and show the end pictures/wheeling pictures?

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #237
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok now your just kicking all the rest of us while we are down....lol....sweet fab and a real paint job to boot!!!!!....not cool man not cool....it is a good thing my pistol is a piece of crap or id just have to use it on myself...lol and my jeep.......love the color btw...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #238
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I like the color. I wish I could bring myself to put a real paint job on mine. On the other hand, a rattle can paint job is easy to touch up when you drag a tree down the side of your rig.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #239
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Yea, I saw this on the other website too. Why not just cut to present time and show the end pictures/wheeling pictures?
Where would the fun be in that. honestly, I thought I would get more feedback as a real time build and I am not a pro, so I was hoping to learn by it which I have. I wish I had known about this site before I started. Would have been huge.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #240
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61
I like the color. I wish I could bring myself to put a real paint job on mine. On the other hand, a rattle can paint job is easy to touch up when you drag a tree down the side of your rig.
The color is Winter Chill from a '12 Grand Cherokee. Gotta keep it Jeep. Got in a real off camber spot the other day and drug a tree down the side. Wife was pissed. Thanks for the compliments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.