Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

84 cj 7.5 lcog

156K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  Steven_mc 
#1 ·
I've been enjoying reading everyone else's builds, thought I would throw mine up here. I bought this Jeep about 10 yrs ago. PO had the AMC 360, a 3" BL and a 4" Skyjacker lift on 33s. Rode like a go cart the springs were so stiff.
I had the 360 built. It now puts out 325hp and 400ft/ lbs

#2 ·
After that, I reduced the body lift to 1", did a spring over and went to 37s on WE beadlocks. I also bought a 77 FSj for the 44s. Reheated those to 4.88 w a Detroit in the rear an true trac in the front. After patching the frame a few times, I decided to replace the rear of the frame and 3 link it with an All Pro SAS kit I had bought for my 01 Tacoma. Used 14" Fox air shocks. Went great down the highway and handled Offroad really well, but unloaded and leaned pretty bad when taking turns. Wheeled it like that for a couple of years until the frame cracks started showing up again. Never buy a Jeep from the NE.

#3 ·
I knew I had to build a new frame. My wife wanted the back seat to go back in and the cage extended to cover our 2 young kids. I decided to stretch the CJ, to keep the fuel cell, lower it to be safer an extend the wheel base. It was already 99" from the front SOA and rear 3 link. I decided on a 110" WB, 12" body stretch in the rear wheel well, front 3 link and rear 4 link.

#4 ·
I did a little research, not enough on materials and design. I'm lucky to know Scotty Bobby of Scotty Bobby Customs who builds amazing buggies an I love his front 3 link design. I started out with 40' of 2"x 3" rectangular tubing. .120 wall.

Attachments

#5 ·
After stuffing an Atlas between stock frame rails and doing the full width kit for the SOA, I decided on doing strait frame rails with a center to center width of of 31". This would give me more room than stock for Atlas an exhaust and not be any wider that the previous SOA to negatively affect the front tires at full lock.

Attachments

#7 ·
dayriesw said:
Awesome. Very tuned in. I would love to start with a tub and steel for a frame and built a jeep. Btw, that CJ is nice looking.

What is the drive train that you are going with?
I have an AMC 360 from a '77 FSJ. Pretty built but I still need to upgrade to EFI. The original T5 which is about the only thing original anymore. Trying to keep most of it Jeep tho. Atlas 4.3. Spider 9 rear with 40 spline Moser axles and a spool. Found a killer deal on it that I couldn't pass up. Front axle is D44 from a '77 Cherokee Sport. Still have the original axles and a Detroit True Trac.

#9 ·
Started mocking up the front 3 link. Front axle is a Waggy D44. 65" WMS to WMS. Decided to go with BTF for my tabs, shock hoops an axle truss. Used a rear axle truss on the front. Drilled a hole in the top for the breather. The frame mount for the upper link is a scrap piece of link tubing recessed through the frame with the tubing adaptor welded in. Pics will come. File size is too large

#15 ·
Im guessing you are going to run track/panhard bars front and rear....I had a Cherokee with well im not sure if I would call it a 3 link front and rear...it had 2 gusseted y links and 2 singles tubes one each front and rear...with only 2 mountings at frame front and rear....travel and flex were sick...then again so was I when I realized it ripped itself in half under the rear bench, despite my exo cage...still using the rear axle and and links under current project..they measure 51" in length with RE coils and trying an experimental super long radius arm setup in front...ill prolly change this later as it seems to bind a bit but haven't really been able to test it...but all my links are 50-51"s and are connected to my frame in the center...hopefully ill flex moderately well in front and like a monsta in rear...but my truck is mostly for bottom badlands muddy sandy hilly trails as opposed to rocks...anywho ill be watching...

#16 ·
freaknajeep said:
Im guessing you are going to run track/panhard bars front and rear....I had a Cherokee with well im not sure if I would call it a 3 link front and rear...it had 2 gusseted y links and 2 singles tubes one each front and rear...with only 2 mountings at frame front and rear....travel and flex were sick...then again so was I when I realized it ripped itself in half under the rear bench, despite my exo cage...still using the rear axle and and links under current project..they measure 51" in length with RE coils and trying an experimental super long radius arm setup in front...ill prolly change this later as it seems to bind a bit but haven't really been able to test it...but all my links are 50-51"s and are connected to my frame in the center...hopefully ill flex moderately well in front and like a monsta in rear...but my truck is mostly for bottom badlands muddy sandy hilly trails as opposed to rocks...anywho ill be watching...
Ill have to measure my links. The lowers are all the same. Think they are around 36". I will have a trac bar in the front. I am going to run w/o one in the rear. I should have enough triangulation in the rear to keep it in place. The big question will be if I need a sway bar for driving on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.