83' CJ7 jeepy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
83' CJ7 Jeepy

Hey all, Haven't really posted on the forum, but I have looked through it EXTENSIVELEY for ideas and any help I could get with my CJ...
Anyway, I thought I would do my own build on here to show what I have done, what I'm doing and what I plan to do... This is my daily driver, so I need everything to remain practical for everyday highway use, but I also plan on doing some wheeling trips so I'd like to be able to run blacks..... But now to her story...
My brothers bought this jeep about 7 years ago (2008) and it was a total POS! Body needed lots of repairs, needed new floors, hadn't been moved in quite some time and it showed... (Ill post pictures of it where it stood the day my brothers picked her up.) My brothers both worked on it pretty hard with the mentality to have it done and get it to the beach (Demo Point) asap! Well, with everything they did to her, (repairs and repairs and repairs, nutter bypass, fresh paint, soft top etc..etc..), they got it a helluva a lot better than what it was and made it look pretty decent (Inside/Outside and underneath so that any rust was really stopped cut out and repaired) they never made it to the beach as more projects came up and the Jeep went to the back burner of the priorities list... Fast Forward to 2014 when I turned 17 and I knew I was going to need a vehicle soon. I was originally going for a 60's Jeepster Commando as my dad used to own one back in the day, then I really wanted a TJ because of the 'luxury' that came with that over an older Jeep (Coil springs, a/c, F.I., and modern style dash). But the CJ had still been sitting there left alone and neglected. Finally my brothers convinced me to do the CJ. And since then (Summer 2014), this Jeep has been taking all my time and effort!! I'm not going to lie here, my first upgrades were KC lights (I've always loved seeing the smiley face covers ) and a winch. The jeep hadn't even been running reliably yet and was far from road worthy. My brother and I tore down the stock Carter BBD carb and cleaned the whole thing out and got that thing running OK.. Next I needed a new starter, so my brother gave me his that he had for his 68' Gladiator. That Carter carb would constantly get gunked up every time we ran it (because the gas was obviously crappy quality), so I knew that was going to get swapped soon enough! The tires that were on there were BEYOND dry rotted so I ordered a set of GT Radial Adventuro M/Ts and mounted them up and plasti-dipped the chrome rims black. Anyway we got her running well enough to be able to drive her back to my house from my grandpa's (Sorta), on its about 10-15 minute journey the jeep died at a light about 3 minutes from my house and we had to jump her to get her home. But she made it!! This was at about Nov 2014.. Next, since the suspension was the stock suspension, it was definitely time for a lift... Keeping in mind the roll over factor I decided on a 2.5" Rustys lift and got that on late fall which made her sit quite a bit higher considering how much sag the stock springs had in them. Since then I bought an 84' CJ that was gone beyond any return and I took the engine and any other parts that were salvageable and scrapped the rest of it.. Got the engine rebuilt (July 2015) and swapped that 4.2 in over the engine that my brothers put together (4.2 block with 4.0 head), as that was always a headache... between the different length push rods that were necessary for the conversion, to the ports in the head that would leak coolant if you tried to use a 4.2 head gasket or even a 4.0 head gasket (RTV was my friend), to discovering that my block was cracked....
All the upgrades and things I've put in are as follows (May be missing some):
-2.5" Rustys Lift
-5x 31x10.5x15 GT Radial Adventuro M/T
-JCR DIY Bumper kit w/ stinger
-Smittybilt Rear Classic Bumper
-HEI Summit Ignition
-KC H4 Headlights
-6x KC Long Range Lights
-Windshield Mounted Light bar for 4 of the KCs
-9000lb Badland Winch
-VIAIR On board Air 2005
-Horn Blasters Train Horn
-Uniden 520xl CB
-Firestik 4 ft antenna
-48" Patriot edition Hi-Lift
-Weber 32/36 Carb
-Full Exhaust system (Flow Master series 40 Muffler)
-Poison Spyder Louvered Hood
-4.75" Pocket Flares
-New Wiring Harness (Bought used but uncut)
-Moser 1 piece Chromoly Axle Shafts (AMC 20)
-Aussie Locker (AMC 20)
-20 gallon poly. fuel tank
-Hard Half Doors
-Smittybilt Euro taillight guards
-New Soft top frame (It had the wrong frame for the Bestop super top)
-VDP American Flag mesh top
-Fire extinguisher (and roll bar mount)
-Cb to am/fm/cb antenna splitter
-Smittybilt Center Console
-Tuffy Rear Consoles
-100 amp Alternator
-Aluminum Radiator
-Original Style rear plate mount
-Smiley Face w/ American flag bandana mopar tire cover
-Pioneer Head Unit
-1600 w. Amp
-400 w. Amp
-Kicker L7 10"
-2x Kicker 5.25"
-2x Pioneer 6x9"
-K&N snorkel adapter for the weber carb
-6" K&N Cone Air Filter
-SpeedHut CJ Speedometer cluster (Not installed yet)
And the REBUILT 4.2 258
There will definitely be more to come so I hope maybe anything I've done can help anyone else is planning/ doing so feel free to ask any questions!!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2319.jpg   IMG_2243.jpg   IMG_2503.jpg   IMG_2302.jpg   IMG_2270.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny83; 09-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 AM
aussielocker
Vendor
1980 CJ7 

That's quite the CJ build!

Thanks for sharing and for keeping another CJ on the road

The Origional Aussie Locker, now made 100% in the USA with the best materials in the industry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Office: 585-723- 1489
post #3 of 22 Old 10-05-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
Got the speedhut gauge installed works great looks great!! Ordered Truck-Lite headlights today as the KC lights are just terrible I'm sad to say... Also I ordered Bestop upper door sliders for my half doors to fit with my hardtop. Patching any marks in the hardtop and painting it before I put it on- new gaskets are ordered so I can put in the tinted widows I have for it. Busy weekend to come
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2579.jpg   IMG_2530.jpg  

post #4 of 22 Old 10-24-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
There was a local Jeep meet at the Museum of American Armor.. proceeds went towards restoring an original WWII Willys.. pretty nice turnout overall!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2881.jpg   IMG_2913.jpg   IMG_2883.jpg  

83 CJ7 Fully Restored 'JEEPY'
post #5 of 22 Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
Late Update::
So after 4 months with the rebuilt 4.2 my block was cracked again.. A hairline crack from the middle freeze out plug about 8 inches towards the front and it was weeping coolant.. so we thought that maybe we'd be able to temporarily fix it until we could find a good donor to replace the engine. Well we broke out the welder and patched it up . Not 4 days later my engine blows out the effin freeze out plug on the expressway and left me stuck 1/2 mile from my college 13 miles from home. So I had to get a tow home and that weekend we got a Jasper 4.2 and put that in-- 2 months later and knock on wood so far so good!

post #6 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Sprungover

looks great. What paint did you use?

1989 YJ, 1977 CJ-7
post #7 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 PM
PostaljeepSS
1974 DJ 

That's a nice looking rig! I really like that color.

74 DJ5C - 383 SBC, TH350, D44
46 CJ2A - Dauntless 6, T90, D18
88 XJ - Stock as it gets
post #8 of 22 Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprungover View Post
looks great. What paint did you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostaljeepSS View Post
That's a nice looking rig! I really like that color.
Thank you both! Paint is actually a ferrari blue (Ferrari Azzurro) deltron paint.

post #9 of 22 Old 02-16-2016, 06:26 PM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice job young man.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #10 of 22 Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Nice job young man.
Thank you good sir! Thank you for your service!

post #11 of 22 Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 AM
energeticmister

Nice build!

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #12 of 22 Old 02-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking jeep! The blue is spectacular. I look forward to seein more of it.

Good job!

1993 YJ & 1961 CJ3B in pieces
-Jerry
post #13 of 22 Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
So I wanted to test out my suspension today... 1 year later lol.. and I flexed a little bit, I didn't disconnect my discos but I think she did pretty well. Evidently I found out I have to trim some of the rear body behind the fender flares
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2121.jpg   IMG_2115 (1).jpg   IMG_2118.jpg   IMG_2119.jpg   IMG_2120.jpg  

post #14 of 22 Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
So its been a little while since I last updated, in the meantime my Jasper motor gave out on the expressway and died at 60mph-- after we got it home and got to inspect it we discovered that the piston rings had melted to the pistons... Engine temp had been normal all the way until about 10 seconds before it shut off. So we got the engine honed, put in new pistons and I'm driving it again. Also in the downtime my brother and I installed the Ruff stuff GM 7/8 TRE steering kit. I'm very impressed with the overall beef of it and I'm not worried about messing that up any time soon, we also modified my bumper and cut out the center section (3/16), welded in 1/4" plate and drilled holes for a winch mount. I resprayed the bumper, mounted the winch got the engine in and running when I got to test the winch after it being off for about 8 months I came to discover that the motor is corroded and no longer functioning as well as being out of warranty (HF). SO I'm looking at going the Warn route- the name, reliability and warranty are really just making me kick myself in the a** about not doing that in the first place. I'm looking into the VR8000 as its price is pretty appealing and its specs seem pretty comparable to warn's other models. The one nice thing out of all of this is at least the mounting pattern is the same for both winches so no need to drill new holes and plug weld the old ones. Anyway winch should be in the next few weeks/months and I'm thinking of going on a club wheeling trip in June at Rausch. So all in all just gotta keep on Jeepin on!
Heres some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2729.jpg   IMG_2774.jpg   IMG_2817.jpg   IMG_2815.jpg   IMG_2860.jpg  

post #15 of 22 Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Johnny83
1983 CJ7 

Garage
I also purchased the Volt meter and oil pressure gauge from speedhut while they were running a promotion so now my whole cluster is complete and awesome! My brother fabbed up a nice switch panel for my switches- It looks awesome and so much better than a radio delete panel!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2934.jpg   IMG_2802.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.