80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #76
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Maybe I have missed it but what kind of fender flares are you getting?
I am just going back stock, my tires only stick out about an inch.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #77
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

post some pics of the engine/trans installed.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #78
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today got cut short, I forgot to bring my slide hammer, so I didn't get to get the engine in. I have to pull the old pilot bearing and put in a new one, id be tempted just to run it, but the old one is buggered up pretty bad so I am not going to risk it.

The fact that I have been in a lot of pain has been complicating things too I am having a hard time walking so it is making progress slow going. I am seriously ready for this to just be over with.

I did managed to get the transfer case all mounted up to the transmission though. I was surprised how tight of a fit the transmission output shaft to the novak conversions input shaft was. I had to use a dead blow to get the transfer case to go on and seat up.

It is probably better that I am waiting until tomorrow to mount it up anyways because it means the RTV will be able to seal up over night before I start messing with it.

I did also wire wheel the frame and paint it with the rust oleum rubberised undercoating.

All that is left to do now is to put the new pilot bearing in, mount the flywheel and clutch, then I can bolt the engine to the transmission, bolt up the motor mounts, then I can stuff it in!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #79
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nick I hadn't seen your thread until you posted on mine so I looked at your profile and found yours. I think you're really going to like the NV4500 tranny. Seems to be the best of both worlds, tough and has an overdrive. I'll subscribe and watch now! Hope the pain goes away too, makes it tough doing anything.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #80
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nick I hadn't seen your thread until you posted on mine so I looked at your profile and found yours. I think you're really going to like the NV4500 tranny. Seems to be the best of both worlds, tough and has an overdrive. I'll subscribe and watch now! Hope the pain goes away too, makes it tough doing anything.
I think I am going to enjoy it too. I have stuffed several of the 4500's in different rigs, I really like the transmission.

Unfortunately I couldn't sleep last night and woke up in a ton of pain this morning so I am going to be taking the day off from working on it. I am flying up to Houston with a buddy of mine and bringing his car back to corpus. Going to have to wait until tomorrow to get it all stuffed in.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #81
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today was a busy day.

Got the engine and transmission mated up. Forgot to bring my clutch alignment tool with me, so instead of being able to line it up easy, I wound up just hanging the clutch, left the disc loose mated it up and was able to tighten the clutch down through the hole for the throw out arm.

It all worked out.

Finally hoisted it up, rolled the jeep in, stuffed it in its hole.

Having it in place was such an awesome feeling.

Tomorrow I will be building a transmission cross member, then once I do that I will start getting the front fenders cleaned up and bolted in place, and the grill and hood. I have a few repairs that I need to do to the grill but it should not take too long. Going to be a great feeling seeing it all put back together.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #82
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

That tan looks really good especially with the black valve covers.
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #83
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
That tan looks really good especially with the black valve covers.
I sure thought they were purrdy, when I put my accessory drive back on I am painting all of it with rust oleum bed liner, it will give it a similar look. I think it should be pretty sharp.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #84
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good! let us know what you decide on the trans cross member.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #85
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
looks good! let us know what you decide on the trans cross member.
For right now its going to be a piece of 2x2" .120 wall box tube with 2x1/4" on each end bolted into the original holes in the frame.

My Energy suspension trans mount has 3 holes in it to mount to the cross member, going to bolt down all 3, that should be enough to keep it from torquing over too much. I think that with the MORE motor mounts that it will be in there good and solid.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #86
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Not a bad days work for a guy with a broken back Looks good man I have tossed around the idea of going with the same color as you and twinstickd20 but can't decide. I know it seems to be fairly common on the internet but there is definately no one in my area that has one that color...come to think of it I've only seen one other cj in my area. Anyways the engine looks great man those valve covers are sweet and when you do your trim with the bedliner it should all blend in well. How do you think the bedliner will hold up to the heat of that 304? I would hate to see you post pics with black puddles melted all over everythin in your engine compartment.
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #87
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Not a bad days work for a guy with a broken back Looks good man I have tossed around the idea of going with the same color as you and twinstickd20 but can't decide. I know it seems to be fairly common on the internet but there is definately no one in my area that has one that color...come to think of it I've only seen one other cj in my area. Anyways the engine looks great man those valve covers are sweet and when you do your trim with the bedliner it should all blend in well. How do you think the bedliner will hold up to the heat of that 304? I would hate to see you post pics with black puddles melted all over everythin in your engine compartment.
You know that is a good thought. I am going to have to drop a line to Rust Oleum and find out how temp sensitive that stuff is.

I actually like the color a lot, I am ex military so it does kind of grow on you after a while.

I do like black as well though, The next jeep I build will be black, or metallic brown. Not sure yet. I think the next one I build will be a Scrambler. Thinking about building it with a 4BTI Cummins.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #88
Nightstr
1969 CJ5 

Looks good! I always wondered if there was a cover that whent right infront of the fly wheel. Is it supposed to be exposed?
Nightstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #89
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Got my transmission cross member built tonight.

The pics suck because I forgot my camera, took em with my cell phone.

Tomorrow will get it bolted in and finished up. Then I can start working on getting the accessory drive put back on the engine. Need to get the power steering hooked up, also have to clearance the front cross member on the frame.

I will remember my camera tomorrow so you all can see it installed.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #90
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
Looks good! I always wondered if there was a cover that whent right infront of the fly wheel. Is it supposed to be exposed?
No, there is a dust cover.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.