80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #61
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #62
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The videos are a great idea. I love how detailed you are in explaining your steps!

The only problem I saw is your welder is red and not blue....just kidding. I have the Miller version of your welder and its awesome! Until you figure it out, I recommend using .30 wire...and when you get tired of buying the argon gas, and when you realize you cant weld outdoors with our south TX wind using the shielding gas you will switch to a flux core wire.
You can do some beautiful welds using the gas, but only inside the shop. A little breeze and weld goes to ****.

How much did you pay for the engine/trans adapter? and how do you plan to set up the clutch? are you gonna use some type of linkage or hydraulic?

I am down in McAllen if you need a hand. I only ask you have some Coors on hand.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #63
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Time for todays update.

Got the firewall primed.

And painted!

Tomorrow I am going to work on getting the frame cleaned and painted, and try to finish getting the engine transmission and transfer case cleaned up and painted. Then either Sunday or Monday they will be going back in!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
Nightstr
1969 CJ5 

Nice build! You can't even tell there was ever a bullet hole there.lol
Nightstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #65
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
Nice build! You can't even tell there was ever a bullet hole there.lol
Thanks, it is coming along slowly but surely.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #66
OilBurnerCJ
1976 CJ7 

You should check the price of cj's. He did ok. Didn't you buy a 2005 LJ? I'm sure it wasn't overpriced! C'mon man, try to be supportive of our fellow jeepers.
OilBurnerCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #67
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurnerCJ View Post
You should check the price of cj's. He did ok. Didn't you buy a 2005 LJ? I'm sure it wasn't overpriced! C'mon man, try to be supportive of our fellow jeepers.
I am not sure what you mean by this?

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #68
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Well only one picture for what I got done today, but it is a good one!

Finished cleaning and scraping on the motor earlier today, finally was able to mask it off and paint it up. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially with how the cast aluminum valve covers look on it.

I also got my bell housing painted, and started cleaning up the transfer case, the T case was filthy, and even more fun, I broke both of my torx bits trying to remove the 6 bolts that hold the input shaft in place, so I wound up having to drill them out. That was not fun. Luckily I was able to get one of them out in one piece and will be able to use it as an example to get some new ones.

With a few whacks from a hammer I was able to loosen the stubs up enough to pull them out with a pair of vice grips. Tomorrow morning I have a doctors appointment, after that I am going to be heading down to the parts house to get the novak conversions input shaft swapped in, then I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, get it painted, then bolt everything together and it will be ready to be stuffed in!

The next thing I have to worry about is finishing some cleanup on the frame rails, then I am going to paint them with Rust Oleum Undercoating. Then I will be ready to slide the drivetrain in place, and to start seeing what will have to do for a transmission cross member.

Hopefully I can be driving it by Saturday because that is when the temp tag on my other truck runs out.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #69
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Hey man lookin good so far. Good to see somebody else doing most of the work the hard way lol. Outside instead of in a nice shop or garage(wish i had that option but oh well). I am about to do pretty much exactly what you are doing in a week or two. I am going to be pulling my 258 and dropping in a sweet 304.I need to get some pics of it,it is one sweet looking engine. I really like what you did with your's cleaning it up and painting it to match your jeep looks real good. I have a buddy that is going to help me with my engine swap and let me use his basement to do it. LOL we will be hitting the rafters too since his house is an older one and who ever built it only ran the basement 10 blocks high.
I am planning to pull the front clip before I pull it into the basement and that should give us just enough clearance to get the engines in and out. good work so far man keep it up.
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #70
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopki1 View Post
Hey man lookin good so far. Good to see somebody else doing most of the work the hard way lol. Outside instead of in a nice shop or garage(wish i had that option but oh well). I am about to do pretty much exactly what you are doing in a week or two. I am going to be pulling my 258 and dropping in a sweet 304.I need to get some pics of it,it is one sweet looking engine. I really like what you did with your's cleaning it up and painting it to match your jeep looks real good. I have a buddy that is going to help me with my engine swap and let me use his basement to do it. LOL we will be hitting the rafters too since his house is an older one and who ever built it only ran the basement 10 blocks high.
I am planning to pull the front clip before I pull it into the basement and that should give us just enough clearance to get the engines in and out. good work so far man keep it up.
Thanks man, it has been and adventure.

When you do your swap I strongly recommend the MORE motor mounts, they are really well made. They bolt on in the factory location, and will make everything go real smooth.

Pulling the clip is a good idea, I kind of wish I had pulled mine, but it wasn't too bad of a deal. being my first jeep project I didn't realize you could pull the engine trans and t case out of a jeep as a whole unit. That is how I plan on putting them back in.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #71
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Looking good man. Love to watch a good CJ buildup.
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #72
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorty View Post
Looking good man. Love to watch a good CJ buildup.
Thanks!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #73
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

It was a long day today I spent all of it getting the input on the transfer case swapped out and chasing parts. It took a bit to find the counter sunk machine screws that I had to drill out, I also picked up some 1/4-20 studs for my valve covers. Will finish installing them tomorrow I locktiteed them into the heads hoping they will not back out. I have some nuts that are about an inch long I am going to put on them. will make it where I can tighten them with a socket or wrench easily.

Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, paint it and reseal all of the covers. and then it will be time to mate the engine tranny and transmission. I was hoping to have all this done yesterday but we had a tree down at the house so I spent it messing with that.

There is still a lot to do but inching closer all the time.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #74
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Just tracked the stuff I am waiting on from quadratec It will be here tomorrow morning. This is the fender flares and the dual battery tray. This should be everything I need to get the front end put back on and get it running.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #75
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Maybe I have missed it but what kind of fender flares are you getting?
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.