80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #46
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today was a busy day, I started out at the machine shop, picked up my flywheel. They surfaced it and put a new ring gear on it for me.

Then I picked up my NV4500 from the transmission shop.

and headed over to my buddy's house to get the garage cleaned out.

Then I got all my tools and the jeep packed over there.

It couldn't happen a moment too soon, because on the way down it sprung a massive oil leak I guess it wanted to go out with a bang.

The motor is still good, it is just throwing oil, don't know where from. I think it is at the front cover somewhere.

Also got the 304 up on the stand, yanked the headers and carb, drained the oil, tomorrow I am going to take the wire wheel to it and get it all cleaned up and painted, it will be tan like everything else on the jeep.

As well here is a pic of the MORE engine mounts I bought, they are pretty!

I am excited, this thing is really starting to shape up. I am hoping to have it back together in about a week and a half. Already chomping a the bit to drive it.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #47
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you keeping the dana 300? if so, what adapter are you using?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #48
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Are you keeping the dana 300? if so, what adapter are you using?
Keeping the 300, using the Novak conversions adapter.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #49
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Yep you already have a jump on me as far as the engine goes because mine hasn't even made it to my cousins shop yet. I'll go ahead and forfeit now.
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #50
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Yep you already have a jump on me as far as the engine goes because mine hasn't even made it to my cousins shop yet. I'll go ahead and forfeit now.
Well you know not having a job does give me a slight advantage. Not having a place of employment means do not have things competing for my time so I can stay focused on the Jeep. That and right now while I am building it I am 240 miles from my Girlfriend, so my distractions are pretty low.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #51
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast

Well you know not having a job does give me a slight advantage. Not having a place of employment means do not have things competing for my time so I can stay focused on the Jeep. That and right now while I am building it I am 240 miles from my Girlfriend, so my distractions are pretty low.
Would that be considered cheating?
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #52
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Would that be considered cheating?
Nah, cheating would be if I still had my welding and fabrication shop!

I had to shut it down last year after I was in a bad car accident and broke my back.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #53
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast

Nah, cheating would be if I still had my welding and fabrication shop!

I had to shut it down last year after I was in a bad car accident and broke my back.
Ok.... I'll give it to you.
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #54
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok.... I'll give it to you.
Well I just bit the bullet and bought a new aluminum radiator and a set of cast valve covers for the 304. figure if I am putting all this work into it might as well do it right.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #55
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today was a busy day, did a bunch more cleaning up on the engine. Got all the accessory drive stripped off of the front of it. Cleaned up quite a bit of it with the wire wheel. Tomorrow I am going to get some small wire brushes and simple green and attack the rest.

Then I got busy getting the engine pulled. I was amazed at how easily it came out.

This is my first Jeep project and I am really beginning to appreciate what a well built rig Jeep's are, they are simple by design, and AMC did one hell of a job designing that 304 V8. I like how the oil pump is part of the front cover, it is simple effective and easy to work on. I also like how the oil filter is on its side, this will make changing it less of a mess.

What was real fun was trying to get the engine high enough to clear the grille.

If you notice the end of the boom on the picker is up in the rafters.

Got it high enough and rolled the Jeep back out from under it.

It was a damn good feeling having the motor out and on the floor. Tomorrow morning I will get after the transmission. It isn't going to take much to get it sitting on the floor. Then the long process of cleaning up the engine bay begins. Going to be all that much more fun because the 258 started throwing oil, everything is covered in it.

I would have stayed later tonight, but by the time I shut down I was toast, my back was absolutely killing me so it was time to hang it up.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #56
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Fixing to head back down in a bit to get some more done on the jeep. Been hurting pretty bad, I am doing this project with a broken back, so I am having to be careful and take it slow. Been in a ton of pain this morning. Not sure how much will get done today.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #57
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Well didnt get anything done yesterday, I was hurting way too bad.

Today I ripped the front clip off, scrubbed, scrubbed, and scrubbed some more, the seam sealer on the fire wall is all shot. Here are some pics.

Also finally got the trans dropped, and I painted a test patch on the firewall, I think the Rust Oleum is going to look great!

Tomorrow I am going to do some more scrubbing down and cleaning up, then going to treat all the rust with ossfoa that will have to dry over night, then I will paint it, then do the seam sealer, then paint the sealer.

In the mean time going to finish getting the engine cleaned up and painted. As well need to patch the bullet hole in the floor, tomorrow I will be getting my new welder so I can get crackin on that.

I am going to go take a nap now. Catch up with you all tomorrow.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today I ordered up a ton of stuff, got a passenger side fender on the way, ordered a dual battery tray.

Also got some stock style fender flares and ordered new wheels.

I needed new wheels because the Wagoneer Axles are 6 lug. It is actually cheaper to go 6 lug than it is to convert the axles to 5's.

Still waiting on my new welder. It "should" be here tomorrow. I am kind of stuck until it shows up.

Today I did get all the old seam sealer cleaned out, sprayed everything down with rust converter. Tomorrow morning I am going to get the seam sealer in, then assuming my welder is here get the bullet hole patched.

Then Thursday I should be able to paint the frame and firewall. Then if everything goes right Friday or Saturday the engine will go back in. Then I can get the front put back on. and hook everything up, then start worrying about getting it drivable!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #59
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today was a busy day, I picked up my new Lincoln PowerMig 256, got it all put together, then I wiped down the fire wall and squirted seam sealer in it and had to call it a night because they were having a party.

Tomorrow I have another seam to seal, then I will patch the bullet hole. Once that is wrapped up I will roll the jeep outside and let it sit in the sun to let the sealer harden, then I will get down and dirty getting the engine cleaned up the rest of the way, and the transfer case.

Friday I will paint the frame and firewall then Saturday I will hopefully be stuffing the engine and transmission back in it. Then it is just a matter of getting it all hooked up and the sheet metal hung back on it. Getting really close to having it running again now.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Today got more done, got the necessary plug to get the welder plugged in and fired up. it is absolutely awesome, it has digital gauges this is going to come in real handy.

I was able to get the bullet hole welded up, got the rest of the seam sealer in, tomorrow I am going to clean the frame and firewall again, then I am going to start priming and painting. I should be stuffing the motor Sunday if everything goes right.

Also when I got home Brown Santa had left me some more goodies.

There were 5 of these:

and one of these:

Ordered it from Collins brothers, paid a pretty penny for it, but it was worth it.

has a small crack on the back by the lowest bolt hole.

But that will be really easy to fix.

Should be getting more deliveries in the next couple of days. I am getting really close to having everything I need to get it on the road, I am pretty happy about this. I have a video I will post a bit later.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.