80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #151
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

More progress tonight.

three of the body mounts on each side are pretty screwed up, so I am getting them fixed up, two of em were free spinning, I fixed both of those tonight.

I still have a lot to do, going to get the welding to the underside done and get it sprayed with under coating so I can get it mounted up on the frame.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #152
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Been getting more done, got the new tub's body mounts about all welded up, I need to test fit it on the frame to ensure the last two are in the right place, then I will be able to finish welding it up and get everything locked down in place.

This morning I towed the frame over to the car wash, hosed it down good and came back and sprayed it down with a bunch of rust converter, it will have to soak for a few more hours until the rust on the frame is neutralized, then I am going to attack it with some under body coating.

The next big evolution is going to be dragging the tub up on my trailer, running it to the car wash and blasting it clean underneath as well.

Sometime this week I am hoping to have it all finished up and mounted on the frame. I need to cut the slot in the floor for the shifter and I need to test fit the tub before welding up the last two body mounts that I had to completely rebuild.

Getting so close to having the tub back on the frame I can taste it!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #153
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Been getting more done, got the new tub's body mounts about all welded up, I need to test fit it on the frame to ensure the last two are in the right place, then I will be able to finish welding it up and get everything locked down in place.

This morning I towed the frame over to the car wash, hosed it down good and came back and sprayed it down with a bunch of rust converter, it will have to soak for a few more hours until the rust on the frame is neutralized, then I am going to attack it with some under body coating.

The next big evolution is going to be dragging the tub up on my trailer, running it to the car wash and blasting it clean underneath as well.

Sometime this week I am hoping to have it all finished up and mounted on the frame. I need to cut the slot in the floor for the shifter and I need to test fit the tub before welding up the last two body mounts that I had to completely rebuild.

Getting so close to having the tub back on the frame I can taste it!
You gonna have it ready for the move back to MT. We will have to meet up for a run this summer.
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #154
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Also worth mentioning I got a new trailer:

It has made it so nice moving this thing around, when I took it to the car wash loading it was so easy.

this is because I built a winch mount on the trailer for my 12K winch:

Works like a charm and I love it because it is making my life so much easier.

The trailer is a 2013 Kearney 20' all steel car hauler, great trailer and with the steel deck no wood to ever rot out!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #155
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
You gonna have it ready for the move back to MT. We will have to meet up for a run this summer.
I am trying really hard to get it put back together and running, not sure if it will be driving when I make the move but it will be close.

I am going to have to build axles for it before I can get it driving again, I can do that in MT if I have to, but I would just assume do it here, I really want to have this thing on the road before I make the trip because it would be nice to have in case my dually happens to break down on the way up, I wont be totally screwed and on foot!

But definitely once I get up there I am going to want to get out and do some wheeling. I am really looking forward to it.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #156
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

I got the rust hole in the floor under the B pillar closed up and fixed.

It seems to me at one point what happened is that enough dirt accumulated in there it keep moisture from draining out, I suspect this jeep spent a lot of time with the top off and over time that area stayed wet long enough to eat through right there, The rest of the tub is thankfully very rust free.

I am looking at it now realizing soon all that will be left is some body work and paint and the whole thing can go back together for good. That is a pretty amazing feeling remembering where this thing started out at.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #157
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Off to the car wash baby!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #158
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

And we have video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKV1d0uWfQ

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #159
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

And now the moment we all have been waiting for!

Feels damn good seeing that!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #160
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Took the Jeep to Coffee and Cars for the first time this morning on the trailer, holy moley was that place packed! The last time I went there was hardly 40 or 50 cars there and it was raining, not so this morning.

It was fun maneuvering twenty feet of truck and twenty four feet of trailer through the parking lot with so many folks around.

Was great seeing everyone who made it out, I was/am dead tired because I was up all night doing auto cad so don't mind me if I was a little out of it :homer:

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #161
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

I am Nick's sense of righteous accomplishment!

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 04-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #162
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

In the last couple of days I finished painting the frame, got the new fuel lines installed and got the body mounts finished up:

The rear mounts were a real mess this is how I fixed em:

Made a pair of plates out of 1/8" plate:

Of course this meant having the tub up on its side as well.

Then sprayed all the bare areas with undercoating.

Then put it all back together:

And I got a little artsy:

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #163
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

very nice work, looks awesome

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #164
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ is starting to converge with your CJ7 in some ways Haha! I have a Renegade hood and CJ7 fenders that I am about ready to install. I am currently running an M38A1 grille and hood, with chopped YJ fenders.

Keep up the good work man!

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.