78 CJ 4.0L Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 78 CJ 4.0L Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Oh yeah, make sure you run the 4.0 flywheel as it has the tone ring for the CPS, the 4.2 will not work with the 4.0. So if you decide to go with a manual trans you'll have to find a flywheel.

addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Any year that had a fuel injected 4.0. Don't get a Renix computer..... that system won't work. If you decide to use the auto computer you will have to ground out the NSS wire on the computer if you are running a manual trans. If you get a non SKIM computer it will eliminate that system. The SKIM module is a black box with a red connector, I think it was behind the glove box somewhere in the ZJ if I remember correctly. It is about 4"x3"x1.5" or so.

Do you know wiring? One BIG thing that will help ypu a lot is getting a FSM (Full Service Manual), a factory manual, it shows everything, all the wiring, color coding, etc.
I will have the computer out of my 95 Cherokee Auto, So Instead of buying a new computer I would rather use that one.. you said if I use that only I just have to ground the "NSS" Wire? I will buy a show manual for the wiring diagrams on my Cherokee, I am pretty good with wiring so I think I can handle it. Will the Manual show the NSS Wire or can you point me in the right Direction?

Thank You
drive78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Oh yeah, make sure you run the 4.0 flywheel as it has the tone ring for the CPS, the 4.2 will not work with the 4.0. So if you decide to go with a manual trans you'll have to find a flywheel.
Can I swap over my flywheel from my 4.2L and get that aftermarket balancer CPS? If I use the 4.0's it would of had to come out of a manual truck right? my auto will have a flex plate.? I dunno what would be cheaper get the front balancer kit or a new flywheel and modify my existing belhousing
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive78CJ7 View Post
Can I swap over my flywheel from my 4.2L and get that aftermarket balancer CPS? If I use the 4.0's it would of had to come out of a manual truck right? my auto will have a flex plate.? I dunno what would be cheaper get the front balancer kit or a new flywheel and modify my existing belhousing
You can go any route, Hesco sells a balancer kit but I heard it's sometimes a pain to install. If you went this route you can run your 4.2 flywheel.
$289 - http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...098&catId=7902

Give Novak Adapters a call and see what it would cost to have them machine your bellhousing and then price out a 4.0 flywheel on Ebay and go from there.
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive78CJ7 View Post
I will have the computer out of my 95 Cherokee Auto, So Instead of buying a new computer I would rather use that one.. you said if I use that only I just have to ground the "NSS" Wire? I will buy a show manual for the wiring diagrams on my Cherokee, I am pretty good with wiring so I think I can handle it. Will the Manual show the NSS Wire or can you point me in the right Direction?

Thank You
1.) Cavity E4 (10G Red) from donor to 10-12G red from CJ for main power feed to dash and steering column.

2.) Cavity H2 (14G Yellow) from donor to 14-16G Light Blue
from CJ for ignition (+) crank.

3.) Cavity B6 (12G Dark Blue) from donor to 14-16G from CJ for ignition (+) crank and run.

4.) Cavity C4 (14G Dark Green with Tan tracer) to 12 G wire hooked to (+) side of E2000 fuel pump.

5.) If your are using a PCM from a donor with a computer controlled auto tranny then you must also ground the wire from PCM cavity #30. This is the "neutral sense" wire from the tranny that tells the PCM that the vehicle is in park or neutral and is OK to start. I think the wire is black with a yellow or white tracer.
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Ok so I got the motor out. Took me about 5 and a Half Hours (By Myself) Using a lift, engine lift, Set of tools, and force. Went fairly smooth..

Steps I took:

- First set the car on the Lift wile it was still running.
- Got the engine warm to test the compression wile I still had the engine hooked up to the battery. I pulled all of the plugs out and tested each cylinder, cranking it over 5-6 times. I got a reading of around 150 on all the cylinders. I figure that due to the constancy I am looking good but I have not looked up the spec yet.
- Next I lifting the truck up and drained the Coolant out.. As much as i could, still got a lot off the floor.
- I pulled as much stuff out of my way as I could to help pull the motor out later. I pretty much ripped out the grille, radiator bracket, loosened up the fan shroud, Then pulled up the AC condenser and radiator. Anything I though was in the way I just pulled out.
- I took off the AC Compressor earlier to get out the Number 1 Spark plug and just left it to the side.
- I removed the, Coolent hoses running into the car, Steering hoses, Wiring to the Modules, and cut the wiring going down to the tranny and transfer case, and cut the wiring going to the fire wall, removed the fuel line and tranycooling lines and were mounted to the motor.
- I next lifted up the truck to remove the bell housing bolts.
- To get to the bell housing bolts on the top I put a tranny jack under the tranny and unbolted the bracket that supports the trans/transfercase. This allowed the engine to swing down and make it possible to get to the top bell housing bolts.
- I took all out but one (two actually, I did not see the last one hiding behind shift cable assembly)
- I jacked the transmission back up and bolted back the mount
- Wile the truck was still in the air I took off the inspection cover on the bell housing and took off the 4 bolts holding in the torque converter
- I next just took the nuts off the bolts running through the engine mounts to get them ready
- lowered the truck and hooked up the chain to lift the motor. I bolted the one end on the AC compressor bracket and the other end through the intake manifold in the back right of the engine.
- I lifted the engine up a bit and forcefully wiggled the bolts out.
- More lift on the engine and some more wiggling and It popped right out (kinda eventually)

I am keeping the donor car around until I get everything in my CJ just incase I forget a part to transfer over
img_2427.jpg   img_2428.jpg   img_2429.jpg  
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Wiring is not too bad, five wire hook up. The BIGGEST problem you may encounter, since it's a ZJ, is the SKIM module, built in security system, make sure you get the SKIM box too if it has it. Or you can get a ECM from a YJ or XJ, they don't have SKIM and they can have manual trans.
So I have finally got the 4.0L into my CJ, I have been plugging and sorting through all the wires to see which ones I need and do not need. I have hooked up the wires going to the ignition, run, and power to the CJ Fuses. I have also put in a Neutral safety switch in. Fuel pump is in as well.

I went to start it up and it Runs for 1 sec and then dies.. I think it is the SKIM Mod.. I was warned about this but tried to look past it anyway.. However I bought a XJ PCM online and will hope this will be my only other problem as far as getting it running... I have also used Novak to do my CPS conversion on my T-150 bellhousing, however I have had some trouble with them and there work and not sure if that will hold the engine back from running as well..

We one thing at Ia time I sapose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.