76 cj5 350 sm465 205 full width axles. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
ElyTodd
Endless pipe dream but :)
1990 YJ Wrangler 

76 cj5 350 sm465 205 full width axles.

Getting ready to start my project. Any good build threads I should take a look at? How far will I need to strech it out? Planning to use yj springs. I want to build my own shackle perches so any ideas there would help. Have found several motor mounts which is the best bang for my buck. I am on a limited budget but not in a hurry to get it done. Off road use only. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions to come but for now any advice from people that have done a similar build would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 PM
levergun
1979 CJ5 

Garage
So, I have a slightly similar build. 79 cj5, Chevy Dana 60 front, Chevy 14 bolt rear, amc 401, ford t18, Dana 300.

Which axles are you running?

I would not run the 205. Way to big for a jeep. Unless you want a 6" tcase skid drop.

The picture is the best I currently have (dark and cold where the jeep is) but shows my outboarder spring hangers
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

1979 CJ5 408 AMC dana 60/14b, T18, d300, PSC hydro assist
1948 Willys CJ2a LS 4.8/sm465 scout 44's
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
ElyTodd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanx!! looks great. i have the 44 in front and 12 bolt out back im planning on putting under it. as of right now im trying to decide how far forward i can move my motor mounts. if i run the radiator in the back like i was planning anyways it looks like i can come forward 4 inches and still have room to work with. is 4 inches too drastic? reading all of the builds i can find everyone stays under 2 inches.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-10-2015, 11:44 PM
levergun
1979 CJ5 

Garage
The issue usually isn't in the radiator area. It's in the steering box/oil pan. If you go more than 2" forward with the engine you start getting the axle to oil pan clearance really tight. Especially under bump. So, You stretch the axle forward. Now The steering isn't inline so you have to stretch the steering box fwd. Also, now your shackles are hanging out the front so you don't gain any approach angle. Also moving the engine that far forward will put the shifter for the trans under the dash, so you'll have to build a Z shifter.

So I guess the question is what are you attempting to accomplish by moving the motor forward? Also rocks or mud?? I'm guessing mud from the radiator mounting. And what size tires?

1979 CJ5 408 AMC dana 60/14b, T18, d300, PSC hydro assist
1948 Willys CJ2a LS 4.8/sm465 scout 44's
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2015, 06:31 PM
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looking forward to some pics of the progress

its a rusty one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #6 of 6 Old 12-17-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
ElyTodd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have been working up on the slope so havnt gotten anything togeather yet. Be home next week and going to start in on it. Would it be worth the hassle to spend the money for the adaptor to run the dana 300 transfer case? It would save me a lot of room but that 500 that could be use elsewhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.