'75 CJ5 258 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '75 CJ5 258 Build

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 03-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
fuzzyhead
1975 CJ5 

'75 CJ5 258 Build

Well I figured I'd make a "build" thread for my 1975 CJ5 with the 258 I6.

A little bit of background:
My friend in high school (back in 1996 or so) had this '75 and a '76 CJ5. He took the '75 all the way down to the frame and rebuilt it. I helped him and his dad when I could. It was pretty fun. He put a fiberglass tub on it, a Skyjacker suspension and body lift, 31" tires, new wire harness, etc.

He removed the original V8 and put in the '76's I6. He also put the windshield and top from the '76 on it.

Well the windshield and top do not fit right because of the changes between the years.

He took the Jeep to college and stuff and don't drive or start it in 10 years or so.

A few years back I got the Jeep from my friend. I changed the spark plugs, wires, new battery, oil change, rebuilt the Holley carb and got it running great (considering the vacuum lines are all jacked up). I had to do some adjustments to the air/fuel mixture but it ran well for having sat for years. I bled the brakes and drove it to get gas. On the drive back the Jeep darted super fast and dangerously to the left. Scared the crap out me. Well me and my neighbor decided to put a belt on the power steering pump to see if it'd help stabilize the steering. We had to force the belt on. When we started the Jeep to test the steering, the engine sounded stressed. I turned off the engine and city off the belt to the steering pump so it would stress out the engine anymore.

A few days later the Jeep started backfiring through the carb and it wouldn't start. I thought the timing belt may have jumped a tooth and the timing was off. I started to take off the carb to rebuild again and I never really finished. So for a few years now I've been wanting to work on the Jeep but I just haven't done it.

A year or so ago I noticed fuel coming out of the gas cap. I have no idea what was going on. I don't think the gas tank has any vent pipes or anything so perhaps the heat caused the leak. I don't know. So last week I decided to drop the gas tank to see what was going on. I had about 10 gallons of red nasty gas in it. The gas tank has about a 1/2" of crud in it. The fuel sender is almost rusted in pieces. So I'm planning on getting a polymer tank (I saw Morris 4x4 has some. Only for a '76 on though).

I'm planning on rebuilding the carb again replacing all of the fuel components, hopefully within a few weeks.

fuzzyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.