62VeeDubs TJ build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
62veedub
1998 TJ Wrangler 

62VeeDubs TJ build

Iíve been lurking here for a while now and figured itís time to share my storyÖ

In February of this year, I took out a small loan to buy my cousins Jeep. It had been parked at my house for a while anyways, so why not make it my own!

She was in quite a filthy shape, so it took a lot of cleaning. I almost wore out my pressure washer cleaning the built up gunk off! I started taking care of some minor maintenance issues. My hope was to be able to start a build on her in about a year, after everything was in good, working order.

June 2nd was a fabulous day, after all, it was my birthday! Well, some POS decided they needed my Jeep more than I did, I woke up to find it gone. Such an awful feeling knowing someone else was doing only god knows what to MY Jeep!

A couple of weeks went by, and just before the insurance company was going to pay out (I had full coverage on it), it was found only a ľ mile from home. It was a great sight to see her again! The POS that stole her took the complete top/upper doors, spare tire/mount, brand new battery, and some other misc items.

I towed her home and waited for the insurance to do their thing. Which took way longer than it ever should have. I ended up towing her to the local dealer to have them work up an estimate. When the dust settled, the insurance company totaled her out. They paid off the small loan I had taken out, and I was able to buy her back with the check they gave me. Financially, I broke even, but for the most part ended up with a free Jeep!

I now have the task of finding some replacement parts, some of which needed to be replaced anyways. Not having a top though, means I wonít be driving her until summer.

First off, I bought a new AGM battery from OíReillyís and Iím making new battery cables. My son is a locksmith, so he cut me new keys and installed a new ignition switch so next time it wonít be quite as easy to ďjimmyĒ her started.

Iím hoping that next month I can start replacing the cooling system. The radiator is shot and the hoses look pretty bad too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
62veedub
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is one of the cables I made.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1968.jpg  
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
62veedub
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So, when the Jeep was stolen, the thief syphoned all the gas out. Once I got it settled in a place a could work on it, I put 5 gallons in it. Since gas prices have dropped, I figured it would be a good time to fill it up. Even though it's not on the road yet, it will be soon (I hope!). I bought 2 new gas cans and filled them up. I added a bottle of fuel stabilizer to the tank, and poured in 5 gallons. Then I started pouring the other 5 gallons in. About half way through, gas started pouring out onto the ground from under the TJ. It seems the thief was nice enough to cut the filler hose!

In a couple of weeks I'll be changing the complete cooling system (all but the heater core). I guess the next project after that will be a new filler hose! I hope I can do this without draining and dropping the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.