56 CJ5, My old jeep but new project. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 56 CJ5, My old jeep but new project.

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
brnbrady
1956 CJ5 

56 CJ5, My old jeep but new project.

Hello,

I bought this 1956 Willy's in 1991-1992 and drove it for a year or two as my regular driver. After driving it for a year or two I was having problems with it. I carried a timing light in the car and would adjust the timing on the side of the road when it started running rough. My dad and uncle looked at it with me and found that there was no compression in one of the cylinders. After further inspection they noticed what appeared to be a repaired crack in the block. So at that time I parked it in my Dad's garage and found another car. So this has not sat for 20ish years.

I just had this shipped to my house in Colorado and intend to bring her back to life. I am still trying to figure out what my plan is. I am currently exploring engines, and trying to decide what path I am going to go with that.

I will post pictures with my progress, and please feel free to offer any advice along the way. I am a novice at working on and restoring cars so am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Bernie

img_20140812_183138540_hdr.jpg   img_20140812_183603313.jpg  
img952014081195130128528.jpg

brnbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Toyojake
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cool Jeep man. Any updates? What are you going to do to it?
Toyojake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks to be in amazing shape, do you have any other pics of it?
Unread 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
84jeepcj7rock

Check out the most recent JP magazine. There is a really clean Cj5 in there with a Chevy 4.3 in it. One of the cleanest builds I've seen. Wish I still had my '69.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
brnbrady
1956 CJ5 

I am trying to figure what I am going to do with it. It has a cracked block and could use a suspension overall. I haven't had much finding an engine that would fit fairly easily that is in good shape for a good price.
brnbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Toyojake
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Would it be to difficult to find a drop out from an XJ/TJ... the 4.0/AW4/231 set up? Or a GM drop out with the 5.3/4L60 and computer, harness, etc. OR are you trying to keep it carb'd?
Toyojake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.