5.9 ZJ build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 5.9 ZJ build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #61
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Well got a little problem. 4 link might be coming sooner then I thought. I took my SYE tailhousing off and put some new RTV on it because it was leaking pretty good and noticed this.

Theres only a little 1/2" bead holding that side on and the passenger side is also starting to pry off from the top. I planned on doing a 4 link soon but dont have the funds right now and this is my daily driver so sort of a problem. I have a TTR-90 that im going to try and sell and should be able to get $600 for it and buy all the parts I need. Just a ballbuster because ive been working every day for the past 2 weeks to get it ready for Grand Slam. Im contemplating trying to weld them up so I can drive it around to get to work and what not but I know its not gonna hold.

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #62
ajmorell

Ronnie, I may have missed it, but did you use the IRO bracket kit on your 8.8 (looks like it). Just curious how you like it if so....I've got everything sitting in my garage for my 8.8 right now less a master install and a locker.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #63
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Bang them back into place and weld them up. they'll be stronger than stock.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #64
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Ronnie, I may have missed it, but did you use the IRO bracket kit on your 8.8 (looks like it). Just curious how you like it if so....I've got everything sitting in my garage for my 8.8 right now less a master install and a locker.
Ya using the IRO kit. I like it, was simple and straight forward with the directions they give you. Only thing I changed was the shock mount location and moved my lower ca mounts up so they werent hanging down as low as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Bang them back into place and weld them up. they'll be stronger than stock.
Thats my plan when I get back from Harlan, probably going to see about building my 4 link real soon though. Student loans are the bees knees (until i kick myself when I graduate)
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #65
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Pretty much got all my parts for my 4 link now. Waiting on a truss and heims, tube inserts, and jam nuts for my upper arms. Got some RE lowers for $150, they are 33.5 bolt hole to bolt hole. Ive got some 2" .250 wall and 1.5" .250 wall laying around so I plan on lengthening them to around 38.

No turning back now :supz: Ohh and sorry for the ****ty pics, apparently my smart phone's camera isnt the smartest and takes blurry pictures if you dont hold perfectly still for 10 seconds.

When I get a better camera with a flash I might try to take more, but heres a couple pictures of the torn unibody. Its just as bad on either side.

There is also a hole to the left of the opening in this picture to that is covered by that plate.

Im pumped though, been wanting to do this for a long time. I just called to have some steel cut up to plate the inner frame rails as well since the TnT stiffeners only wrap along the outside and bottom of the unibody.

Ohh and have my adjustable uppers and lowers for sale now, wont be making a post on here yet since trying to sell them locally first but if someone takes the time to read this and needs them id probably be obliged to sell them.
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #66
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Alright so SLIGHT change of plans. I sold my short arms already and a figured why not try and sell my axle instead of chopping a perfectly good bolt in 8.8 up. So Im going to be selling my 8.8 and my 30 for $1600 and buying a friends full width 44/8.8 with 4.56s and lockrights front and rear. With the money from my axles ill have enough to buy the axles and build them to fit my zj plus other expenses. Jeep might be out a little while longer but I think itll be worth it.
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #67
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

I havent had any bite on my axles. I listed them for a decent bit more then I expected to get but I cant sit around and wait much longer so Im going to cut my brackets off my 8.8 tonight. Truss and heims from Ruffstuff came in today so Ive got everything I need. Our voltage knob on our Hobart 140 sheared off though somehow when we let someone borrow it so the welder is stuck on 4 which is max and is to high to weld to my unibody. So now Im stuck waiting on a new knob coming in before I can weld most of this on.

Made some new coil mounts for the frame in the rear. Took ryans idea from his thread.
Frame ground down and coil post removed.

All these bud light cases are paying off

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #68
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Borrowed my buddies Hobart 187 to finish the 4 link. Think I might try and get one soon, this was the first time I welded with a 220 and really liked it. Also first time I welded to the unibody, that was fun...

Ruffstuff truss, need to grind it down to fit a little better. To big for the 8.8 axle tubes.

Stiffeners cut out

clamped up

Got to dark to take pictures of them welded up. Hopefully have the axle mocked up under it tomorrow.
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #69
ajmorell

Nice work. I think your price was maybe a little high but certainly not unfair. Reasonably I think you could get $1200 for the pair. So if you're keeping the Explorer 8.8, what are your plans for the front? Keep it and just link the rear?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #70
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Yeah Im keeping the 30 for now. Down the road when I have something else to drive Im going to sell it and build a FSJ 44 to get a little more width then the waggy. Id really like to cut down a HP44 to around 64 but doubt ill go through all that.
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #71
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Finished the Jeep last night. Still got a few things to button up, made my stock brakelines work but need to get an extended one soon. Rides a lot better, still have a little bit of body roll but nothing like it used to be. I think I might try and put a sway bar on it still. I made the posts on my coil buckets to close to the frame so need to cut those off and move them out a little. No completed pics, waiting to use a decent camera instead of my cell phone.

Inner truss piece welded on

Lowers mocked up

One of my upper tabs for the truss. I angled the truss back and made these tabs so my uppers didnt mount up so high. I could of cut the truss down another inch but figured this would be easier and it works.

Tacked

Burned in

I need to get a new set of shocks to for the rear, running these Mazda B3000 napa shocks and they arnt the best. Also need a rear diff cover, my stock one got peeled off a little and has a good drip to it. But its driving now and glad to finally have some wheels again.
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #72
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good ron. I saw your Jeep downtown today and didnt even think about it even knowing yall had just finished it. Ill holler at you tomorrow if you'd like and come snap some pics with my DSLR.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #73
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ View Post
Looks good ron. I saw your Jeep downtown today and didnt even think about it even knowing yall had just finished it. Ill holler at you tomorrow if you'd like and come snap some pics with my DSLR.
Ohh ya man sounds good i finish up with class and work at 4 today so pretty free.
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #74
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

A few more pictures flexed out on the rock in our front yard. Going to actually get some decent ones with a real camera of the mounts and everything when I go home tomorrow.

Unread 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #75
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

So managed to get a decent camera. Heres some better pictures. My numbers turned out good, 85% antisquat and 0 degrees over/under steer. I still dont understand roll axis height to much but mines at 26 if I remember right from the spreadsheet.
Need to make some new hardlines instead of using my stock ones all ghetto rigged.

Stiffeners

unibody plated and cracks welded up

unibody link mounts. Im not completely done with the lowers, I still need to make two triangle gussets and plate that so there is a skid in front of the mount. That mount just hanging there would be a nice anchor on a rock. I also plan on boxing in the upper mounts as well as the mounts on the truss.

Got a few more things to iron out, it never stops. Something is really loose upfront. Ive tightened my track bar steering and control arms and havent found it yet. My ballistic joints are squeaking loud as can be too. I tried to put grease in them but it just shoots out of the zerk and wont go in the joint. Probably need to pull them out and take them apart.

Not related to the build but we set up a booth on campus for the club and had a good turn out. Hopefully get some new guys that like to beat the piss out of their rigs too :smt106

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.