5.9 ZJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 5.9 ZJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #46
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Got the 8.8 mounted up under the jeep for the test fit. Had to grind out the upper control arm mounts a tiny bit, my teraflex uppers are slightly wider than stock for some odd reason. I had a hell of a time getting them in the stock mounts and these new beefier ones werent happening. My blackberry decided to stop taking pictures though so need to borrow a digital camera sometime soon.

Got another cool picture from TnT garden at gulches. Wish she took one going up from this angle but ehh cant complain when I never even bring a camera.

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #47
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Well after having this axle for what feels like years (and probably is...) its finally under the Jeep. Only thing is I cant find my rear sway bar anywhere and after driving it yesterday and today I really need it. I borrowed my buddies worn out 35 km2s for the hell of it. The rear has 5.5" springs in and the front is still rocking 4.5"

Found a d30 with 4.56s and a lockright for $250 so picking that up today. Still has stock shafts so will be rocking 33s on it for our windrock trip next weekend. Got to get that axle swapped in and some more little things done before the trip but should be good to go. That will be my first trip locked front and rear, really looking forward to it.

Random pic axle primed

Unread 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #48
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Very good progress so far on your jeep! keep up the good work
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #49
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
Very good progress so far on your jeep! keep up the good work
Thanks man, means a lot when Ive spent probably 30 hours on it the past week and half instead of studying for exams. Finals are in a month and all ive been doing is Jeepin haha

Swapped my "new" D30 in with 4.56s and a lockright. Pretty much ready to go for the Windrock trip. Just need to tighten everything and check fluids.
Everything disconnected except arms

Old 30 Out

New one in

5.5 coils front and rear now

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #50
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

So I have the chance to get some 35 krawlers for cheap but problem is Ill be rocking a stock 30 for a little while. If I did get them all my money/savings would go straight to building a 44 or buying one, dont even want to fool around with this 30. I wouldnt be to worried about DDing it with the 35s for a little bit on the 30 and summer is coming up so I have a lot more time to work and wrench. Decisions decisions...
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #51
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Just got back from Windrock today. Had a hell of a good time, nothing broke and the jeep did great. Just have a nice clunk every now and then when making hard right turns. Love having lockers front and rear, but did find myself getting in a lot more tougher situations. Time for some bigger tires and build a 44.

Unread 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #52
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

thats a sick burnout u did lol.

<--Mods in profile
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #53
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato1111 View Post
thats a sick burnout u did lol.
You should see it now locked with 4.56s. Burns both tires and just sits there.
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #54
tato1111
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
You should see it now locked with 4.56s. Burns both tires and just sits there.
i didnt think thoes v8's had the potential, i guess ive been missing out.

<--Mods in profile
tato1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #55
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

A brand spankin new set of 35x12.50x15 KM2s are on the way to my house. Should be here friday or monday. Just need to go buy some dynabeads and will be mounting them at our house this weekend if they come.
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #56
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Got my 35s on and took my rear plastic bumper cover off. Me and a buddy of mine came up with a design for a rear bumper and going to start making it when we get back from Uwharrie. Wish I could use google sketchup worth a damn and post it. Basing it off this one on pirate

Bored outside today

Rear bumper off

Went to Irmo SC yesterday for the first OffroadSC.com Spring Offroad Festival. Towed the RTI ramp down there. There was a great turn out, had an awesome time.

Some other pics from the show they had an RC comp crawl too, was pretty fun.

Unread 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #57
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

A few more pics from the show

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #58
Jeepguy91

Really interested in seeing how you do your rear bumper. That is exactly what i want on the rear of my jeep.

89 XJ- stock for now
Jeepguy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #59
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Yeah so adding a few more things to my to do list... Like a cage.

The whole weight of the Jeep went on the skidplate and all my tires came off the ground, the jeep pivoted and rolled over the ledge. Literally had no control over it. Leaked a ton of motor oil Id presume out of the dipstick and a ton of tranny fluid. We pulled the plugs and there was no oil or anything on them. Once i fired it back up it poured some more tranny fluid out. We towed it back to camp and let it sit for the night. In the morning I added more trans fluid and oil and it didnt pour any out. Ive always had a constant transmission leak coming from my coolant lines and a slight one from where the case and transmission meet up. Im going to replace the input seal on the transfercase and the output seal on the transmission. From what Ive read the tcase is easy, just pulling the tcase and then 4 bolts and you get at the seal. Havent found info on the 46re but I think it should be just as simple as well?

Im going to be looking for a daily driver. I really want to get a 90 models cummins or dirtymax but I think with gas prices the way they are I need to look into a more gas friendly vehicle. Anyways heres some more pictures.
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #60
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

So getting the jeep ready for Grand Slam. I finally pulled my crossmembers off and cut my tcase skid of that I temporarily welded on instead of making it removable back in December when we headed to Harlan. Replaced my tcase input seal and trans output seal, tcase is still leaking where the tailhousing mates up to the back half of the tcase. Looks like the tranny fluid ate through the RTV.

I need to tackle my rubbing issue though. I rub a good bit on my rear of the rear passenger fender. The left isnt an issue but need to figure out what to cut on the right. Ive never messed with cutting sheet metal and filling holes and what not so hopefully I dont hack it up to bad. Ive been searching trying to find something that isnt to extreme like Niels cut but havent had any luck.

Can see where its rubbing and where ive hit the **** out of it with a BFH. Took the rear panel off and debating where I need to cut. Any advice would be helpful.

Also got wheel spacers front and rear to try and cut down on the rubbing. Never said in the ebay thread that the studs on them were metric... so I had to order 20 1/2 open ended lug nuts so I can mount them. These look like I should be wearing them around my neck not putting them on my Jeep.

A little wider stance with the spacers mounted
before

after

Like my new beadlocks?

I wish, my roommate got a set of aluminum beadlocks for his zj. A buddy of mine has some trailreadys for sale and this pic makes me want to snag them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.