5.9 ZJ build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 5.9 ZJ build

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Appreciate the compliments .

Missed GSSE up in Harlan because the two other Jeeps I was going with backed out last minute. Wasnt about to make a 4 hour drive without a trailer to KY and risk something exploding. Going out to Gulches ORV park in Laurens SC tomorrow with a few buddies.

Got the sliders all finished. Took a little longer then I imagined but I think they turned out alright for my first fab project that I tackled alone. Again read first therefore don't completely rip me a new one on my booger welds .

2x3 box cut to length and capped.

Tacked up before I pulled it out to completely weld up

Mounted

Going to be adding a piece of 1.75 .120 wall tube, probably HREW, angled up as kind of a door guard. Will allow me to pivot better around rocks etc etc. Have to wait until I move in this week to the new house and get our buddies bender mounted.

Like this but will be angled up probably around 30*

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Also got my crossmember, its painted and ready to go in.
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Well I got to Gulches today ran the trails for 20 minutes and the jeeps well above 240. I dont know what it is but four some reason she cant take being in 4wd . My efan motor is completely dead, yet before I got there I made sure it was running. Karma. I'm planning on replacing it with a regular clutch fan from a 5.2. Just need to find one and a shroud. But my other buddy did flop his 4runner .

Unread 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Niner bud! I had a guy offer me a his silver 98 5.9 limited with 85K miles and 2 grand for my TJ, I thought about it long and hard and turned him down, it was such a hard decision, and seeing your makes me think I should have taken him up, haha

Anyways, keep it up, Crawled it.
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Ordered a couple tube inserts and heims from Ballistic on 8/31, non of which were back ordered, and haven't gotten an email with a tracking number yet. I planned on building my radius arms for our trip this weekend but now thats out the window. I ordered all new bushings for me RE arms in the front and plan on replacing the bushings in the axle housing on the D30. Ive got some nasty axle wrap in the front when I tap on the brakes. Need to get that fixed before the trip. Hopefully this will solve my popping and creaking noises I'm getting from the front.

Also went to another Jeep dealership about the tab for a 231 and apparently the ZJ never came with a 231. I'm fairly certain the guy ordered me a tab for a Cherokee with a 231. I tried telling him over and over I need the tab for the case ID Dave had posted but who knows...
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Long post copied from mallcrawlin...

I need some input now though. Im trying to get my jeep done and wheeling but I have a serious monetary problem. As of now im $700 in the whole and am making roughly $200-300 a month spending money after rent gas food etc which needs to go towards paying off that $700 before I can bat an eye at Jeep parts.

Keep in mind I plan to stay at 35s and not go bigger. I know people say this but funds will keep it that way and I want to maintain a somewhat clean 5.9.

Heres what I have purchased already.
Waggy 44 4.56s detroit flat top knuckles stock shafts warn premos 6x5.5, has a truss and set up for stock control arms.
8.8 with 4.56s and an aussie, completely bare housing.

I also have the clayton crossmember and all materials to fab the front radius arms.

I need everything for the steering, inserts, highsteer arms, tubing, hiems. I need to build new mounts on the axle for the trackbar and a new trackbar/body side mount. For the rear I have nothing as far as links/joints/brackets and truss go and I would also need new dutchman shafts to match the 6x5.5 bolt pattern.

I found a TJ dana 30 locally with 4.56s for $200. My thinking is I could sell the 44 and buy the 30, leaving enough money to buy brackets for the 8.8 (leaving it on all adjustable short arms) Slap the axles in and wheel on my 33s. I would be able to buy everything to get the jeep wheeling and not have parts sitting in my garage for another year at least.
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Escout03
1998 ZJ 

Absoluetly sell the D44, but have you thought about picking up the D30 w/ 4:56 so you wont miss that deal and then dumping the rest at your debt?
Escout03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escout03 View Post
Absoluetly sell the D44, but have you thought about picking up the D30 w/ 4:56 so you wont miss that deal and then dumping the rest at your debt?
Very good point, Im waiting on a PM from him back about the axle. I posted the 44 on pirate and nc4x4 so hopefully I get some bites.
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #24
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Sold my 44. Got what I paid, $800. The guy who bought it had a HP30 with 4.56s, lockrite, chromos, WJ highsteer, new tb bracket, yukon joints, solid cover and a ton of other stuff on it. He said if he cant sell it hes gonna try and part it out. If he does Im going to see if I can snag just the axle with gears and the locker. I would think $400-500 for it? I need chromos but can't afford them at the moment.

After I deposit this money in the bank tomorrow Im using $300 to pay off part of that stupid wreck, then buying brackets for my 8.8, 5.5 coils for the front, longer sway bar links for the rear to actually get a sway bar on this beast and maybe some shocks and a diff cover for the 8.8.

I have three tests on wednesday but done after those. This weekend is our fall break too so we have monday and tuesday off. Even though I have to work friday through tuesday I'm hoping to get a bunch of stuff done.
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I don't have a camera at the house at the moment.

Today was a good day. I notched my gastank skidplate because once I put the uppers in and rotated the pinion back the trackbar bracket was hitting it. Also replaced bushings in my upper control arms. Got a package from IRO with my 8.8 swap brackets, some 5.5 coils for the front, rear sway bar links and bar pin eliminators. I have everything I need now besides new shocks for 5.5" and the actual HP30. Will be mounting my 33 trxus mts on Friday. Expect some work to get done finally.
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

So I got my new 33 trxus mts mounted so naturally my roommates peer pressured me.

YouTube - 5.9 Grand Cherokee burnout

on to build

Heres what I finished with. I attempted to drill out a new moog rubber bushing for the upper arm to fit a 9/16s bolt instead of the smaller stock one. The sleeve in the bushing got so hot it begun to press out of the bushing. I guess more oil and a slower speed. I tried 1/2" first and then was gonna use the 9/16s bit because its a little duller. I might try going up in size bit by bit.

I still need to weld in my clayton's crossmember but I dont believe Im confident enough in my direct overhead mig to burn it in and I'm using a 110. May just take it to a shop down the road and have them burn it in with 220. Couldn't be more then a few bucks.
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looking good, my friend on her Jfox21 has some clayton rear long arms and some IRO front long arms. Hes a good wheeling buddy of mine and ive known him since middle school. If you ever have any questions i would ask him, he has a little 110 welder, but i wouldnt trust that with any suspension parts. Id say find a friend that has one and have him help you out. I got 220 in my garage thanks to my dad.
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #28
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Well we've had pretty good experience with the Hobart Handler 140. My roommate built his ZJ with it, we've had three TJs and a YJ built. If you know Kirby on pirate he lived with my roommate before he graduated and basically built his whole TJ with it (did go back over everything with 220 when he got one though). We switched our handler over to gas from flux core and it's so much better.

Finished the long arms last night at 2:30am. Didn't get a chance to paint them, was to tired and had to get up for class this morning. I think they came out pretty good for my first attempt at building a suspension. Only thing is my front tires are howling a little bit now. I didn't put a tape measure up to check the toe last night, figured it would be easier today when it's light outside.

I still don't have a camera, only picture I have. Took it as I parked and waited for the bus to class.
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Only managed to break my shortside CV shaft in the front and that was on the last trail Sunday before we left. Overall a great trip. First time wheeling it all weekend and not having to park it for something. She did great too.

Only video I have now, waiting on my roommate and other guys to upload pics.
YouTube - Ronnie on Kodak

Also though anyone who ran ballistics poly bushings, did they squeak like crazy the first time you went out? Either my ballistic joints or the polys were raising hell almost the whole trip. I greased them all before and checked them again after I got back. This trip only just made me want to get the rest of my stuff done asap...
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Kodak is fun man i cant wait to try it and take the hard line in march

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.