4wheelrampage's Silver LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 4wheelrampage's Silver LJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4wheelrampage's Silver LJ

Well, long story short I sold my TJ and bought an LJ. Best decision I have ever made. It also helps that I got a sweet deal for it. It really helps that some how I came out ahead.

2005 Unlimited with 102,000 (I need to update the mileage when I remember to look at exactly what it is) on the clock.
The entire vehicle looks like I ordered it in '05. The interior is with only one exception 10/10. The engine bay looks just like the interior another 10/10 besides the brake booster.

It is all stock except for a CAI and a 2"RE BB with matching shocks. It came with hard top, soft top, bikini top, the stock rims with yokohoma geolander tires, and another set of rims with KM2s. All tires are 31s and all tops match the condition of the vehicle... brand new from what I can tell.

Out with the old (and it will be missed, not much, but a little):

In with the new (and it will be dearly loved):

Therefore, tasting a drop of antifreeze actually makes you stronger :)
[/quote]

Mac users : control+option+command+8
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool LJ, congrats looks like a nice rig to start building on.

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pre delivery bump. It probably just got interesting. More on the way.

[/quote]

Unread 03-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

[/quote]

Unread 03-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

begin wall of text:

So the LJ has +/- 130,000. Long story short old motor blew so a new one goes in. I have just received my freshly rebuilt LQ9.
It has the 317 heads and an LS6 cam. In the previous post the motor is between the frame rails, however sadly the mounts
have just been ordered so it's not actually in yet.

The transmission is the 4l80e. It will be mounted to the np231 then stock axles. Still to be ordered shortly is essentially everything else.
Transmission to xfercase adapter, transfer case mount, slip yoke eliminator, various other transfer case junk, drive-shafts, radiator and fan,
and lastly all the other stuff I'm missing. At this point it's not that I don't have plans to lift, It's that my budget for the Jeep is done as is
imaginable. Beyond all the stuff I just mentioned, I will be talking to local exhaust shops to see if an entire system can be made up cost
effectively or whether I will have to order headers and have them do from the headers back.

Things I need to finalize. Not just what fuel pump, but fuel system in general and power steering. Also torque specs for any and everything
related to the motor and transmission. I just realized that most of the text above would fall under needing to finalize technically, but hey,
here's to redundancy and a *****in' new motor

I will not be integrating into the jeep harness or computer. I will be running aftermarket gauges in the stock dash. I am going of the visual
in my head right now, so bear with me. But the plan is to mount the gauges on the black part of the cluster that traditionally has the
numbers and info and fun stuff. The entire vehicle will be rewired by me. I am already predicting this dragging out. My goals for wiring are
for it to be simple and accessible, making it easy to fix. This is half way accomplished for me. The motor came from the builders with a
stand alone harness that includes the transmission. It has provisions for all accessories including outputs for gauges, fuel pump, etc.
The only thing I will focus on wiring at first is obviously making it run, but also be street legal. The stereo will probably be one of the first
things i focus on as well for fairly obvious reasons. Total time frame for wiring is a couple weeks maximum because I can't stand to drive
a half assed ride.

That may or not have been coherent, it felt like it came out as a jumbled up mess, but there are just so many things to take care of it's
hard to remember it all without my notes and spread sheets. That being said:

The goal for this build is to be reliable/worthwhile/cost effective vehicle. I believe this motor transmission combo fit those criteria best.
I am sure I left out some details, if you want to know in advance how it will work ask away, it will only make my build easier. Other wise
stay tuned and all will get sorted out eventually. Overall there is no solid time frame other then ASAP. ASAP allowing for it to be done
right. Since reliability is important over everything else, doing it right really will be the only way. Having said that, I know I will do tons
of stuff wrong. But oh well, nothing that can't be fixed and nothing I can't learn.

No real work was put in today, so random pic of the day is as follows:

Pic of 317 Heads With casting number:

post-saving-pre-proof-read edit: you can also see the 42 PSI Big Green fuel injectors in this pic
[/quote]

Unread 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This post will be for my continually updating list of ordered/installed upgrades, I will edit in other crap later, but for now and for ever the top, below this, will contain swap parts more or less.

SWAP:
-LSX4u.com "Vortec Max" LQ9 6.0L w/317 heads, "LS6" cam (204/218@.050 .550/.550 lift 110 LSA), 42 PSI Big Green injectors, standalone harness.
-LSX4u.com 4l80e
-Novak Motor Mounts
-Novak xfercase shift kit
-Novak 4l80 to np231 input shaft kit
-Novak HD np231 kit includes wide chain
-Novak SSYE
-Novak Transfercase Mount
[/quote]

Unread 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So when I said I wasn't lifting I may have lied. Every time I think of lifting the first thing I think of is currie's 4in lift.
With a price tag of 2k that's not in the budget. That works out well, because I would rather lift 2in, and do fender
tricks until I go for custom suspension. I am planning on piecing together a super soft affordable 2in lift.

Initial plan with the littlest recent research possible:
Stock arms initially with Blistien 5100, or the Rancho RS9000XL. I am confident in the Blistien 5100s as I just installed then on a buddies ZJ, and from what i have read the RS9000s are comparable. The only thing I question is then the springs. There all I have ever felt are stock springs with stock shocks, stock springs with R.E. shocks, and then R.E. springs and shocks, so I really have no idea. I am initially thinking either OME springs or possibly savvys progressive rate springs, however I will still need to do more research before that happens.

After pausing and reading slightly, I will order 5100s over the 9000.

Edit: along with the swap and stuff means all the old stuff is for sale, keep in mind the motor has a blown head gasket due to over heating, I am assuming water pump, however I am not about to diagnose one more thing on that engine so it is what it is. However the transmission was still working fine when it the motor blew.
[/quote]

Last edited by 4wheelrampage; 03-25-2015 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: I got this thread bumpin'
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got off the phone with Dave over at Novak. Every part I am receiving from Novak is ordered. It is looking like a couple week wait time for the trans to xfercase, but everything else should arrive in a timely manner. After we got off the phone he called me back and reminded me about their xfercase mount that I didn't order. So thanks for that. As far as I can see I still need to find motor radiator, trans radiator, trans shift linkage, and then driveshafts. After those get sorted I believe I should have all the parts for a running vehicle again. Oh and exhaust and fuel pump of course.

Update: Novak will be sending me everything except the actual billet adapter for trans to xfercase. So I will have all the everything together, then its just a matter of throwing on the adapter and firing it up.
[/quote]

Unread 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well brown santa came a little while ago. A proper update will come later, but in the mean time a question.

What is the most effective way of removing the "locking ring" on an 05-06 fuel tank with out using the FSMs recommended special tool? If that was too vague, it's the ring that holds the whole fuel pump assembly to the top of the tank.

I know it rotates counterclockwise per the FSM, but that sucker is in there good. Maybe I just need to try harder. I was thinking I could just stick a few screwdrivers under the tabs to prop them up, then hopefully spin it out from the "hump" that holds it in. Though that's probably over thinking it a little.
[/quote]

Unread 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So it appears brute force is the answer to removing the lock ring. I broke the plastic outlet so ill be needing a unit anyways.

The next problem.

After recieving all the parts for the 231 I either have an extra and wrong shift fork, or I did not recieve the bigger ring gear thing. From the other hd rebuilds ive looked up, they retained the stock fork. I'm assuming I will end up using the stock sized fork.

Original fork and ring

Original ring with the new fork
[/quote]

Unread 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well an update:

I've run about a tank of gas through it so far. Completely different vehicle obviously. It was fun to see how much better it got as various kinks were worked out.
Drove with open headers to the exhaust shop, maybe a bit more before i dropped it off. It was too much fun, but loud doesn't even begin to describe it. I initially thought the driver exhaust would wrap around the front of the oil pan and hook up with the passenger side and back. However stock clearance allowed for it to go straight back past the transfer case then Y into a Dynomax muffler then single pipe out the stock location.

The radiator I picked up from a local place works much better than expected. Honestly perfectly. Temps come up nicely, my spal 3000cfm fan will easily will keep it cool at idle, and at around 30+ the rad takes over. I believe my torque app has been sending logs, however I have never done any of this before so I'll see if I even recorded anything and report the findings. That crap sure used my data, but that's another story.

Stock shifter is still the plan, I am going to talk to a local cable/tube/long flexible thing guy and see what we/he can work up. I will be looking up the stock shifter "throw" length. (Correct term?) Also similarly the throw length for the 4l80 which I would assume will be the easier of the two. Having said that I guess looking up the throw length for the 42rle would have the same result.

Air filter is a temporary solution. Both in and out for coolant are on the passenger side of the motor. My problem is the radiator is cross flow and the upper hose is the one that has to go across. This hose goes right in front of the air intake with a guesstimate of 5 inches of clearance. It's not hopeless, but not ideal IMO.
I see three solutions:
1) Run a 45* fitting off the intake down under the hose then out to let's say the stock air box location for now.
2) Find new upper hose solution and run a normal "off the shelf" intake
3) Something, Something, Work, Shaker Hood. With a side of Work.

Lastly the adapter from trans to xfer case has a pinhole leak in one of the clocking holes, planning on filling the hole with something to be determined. J.B. weld sounds easy now, yet a probable P.I.A. later. I'm not above it though. A quick under jeep google resulted also in threaded caps to fill the holes which I think will be easier later, however I don't know about their practicality as of yet.

Other then that it's like a golf cart on steroids. If that was scatter brained I apologize, life just seems to get crazier and crazier. The Jeep SLOOOOOOOOWLY got up and running, however I will update with pics/solutions soon and hopefully get out wheeling sooner rather then later.

P.S. Gauges: Shout out Redlyner he got his factory gauge cluster insert from http://www.12voltunlimited.com/Jeep-...anel_p_11.html for about $215 I would have a hard time making something as nice and professional for less so that will eventually happen.
[/quote]

Unread 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking build up! Going to be a monster!!!

REDLYNER Racing #4550

HANKOOK TIRES * Rugged Radios * Savvy Offroad * Raceline Wheels
Clayton Off Road * DynoMax Exhaust * High Performance Graphics

Instagram: redlyner4550
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.