The 40th Anniversary CJ That Never Was - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The 40th Anniversary CJ That Never Was

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeJeeper View Post
Sounds to me like you need a new master cylinder. One of our dodges at work was doing the same thing. Soft peddle that firmed up and the fountain in the reservoir. Bled brakes several times and it never got better. Finally put a new mc in and all was better.
Thanks for the recommendation. The symptoms definitely sound similar, but I tried replacing the mc a month ago and I am still having issues. Hopefully I didn't get a bad part.

I have done a lot of reading on the forum over the past few days, and it appears getting the rear brakes on a CJ bled properly is a challenge. The big problem appears to be the proportioning (combination) valve and how to "reset" it during the bleeding process. I am going to give it one more shot this weekend. If that doesn't work, then I guess I will try the corvette mc upgrade.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Found a sweet deal on Craigslist this weekend. I guy about an hour south of here was selling off all the extra parts he had lying around for his CJ-5. Here is what I was able to pick up

Got the four original Jeep CJ wheels with front center caps and 30" tires for $80 (one tire's bead has come loose, but it doesn't look damaged)

Also picked up Bestop hardware (minus windshield channel) and fabric for $75. The frame was what I really wanted, but the fabric was included so I took it. It has a damaged window zipper, so we'll see what I do with it. Missed the doors by an hour or so.

My little guy helped me set up for the picture.

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #18
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Nice score!

[I]"4 wheeling past the third standard deviation from the mean."[/I]
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77
Nice score!
Thanks. I was originally only going to get the top hardware, but I couldn't pass up the wheels and tires. Now I have to decide if I want to run the the new wheels or the steelies I have on it now.

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
Thanks. I was originally only going to get the top hardware, but I couldn't pass up the wheels and tires. Now I have to decide if I want to run the the new wheels or the steelies I have on it now.
JMO, if you are running stock-size tires, sand and paint the new ones. I wish I had a set. I'm running chrome "stock" on mine now, but if I had a pair of those like you just got, I would use them. But I am getting ready to jump to 33s and will need new wheels as well. However, I will keep what stock ones I have for good measure.

[I]"4 wheeling past the third standard deviation from the mean."[/I]
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
JMO, if you are running stock-size tires, sand and paint the new ones. I wish I had a set. I'm running chrome "stock" on mine now, but if I had a pair of those like you just got, I would use them. But I am getting ready to jump to 33s and will need new wheels as well. However, I will keep what stock ones I have for good measure.
Your opinion is always welcomed on this thread. The paint on the wheels is good enough I think that I could run them as is for now without refinishing them (once I get the one tire repaired of course). I will probably color match them when I get the Jeep painted.

I have actually read on a couple of forums that the chrome Jeep CJ wheels are highly sought after among the restoration crowd. You might be sitting on a gold mine there.

Unread 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Disc Brake Conversion Part 1.1

Disc Brake Conversion Part 1.1

I tired bleeding the brakes again this weekend. I was able to get firm pedal and the rear calipers appeared to be working. But I still couldn't eliminate the fountain of fluid out of the reservoir. Now I was really confused.

So I consulted professor Google to see if I could figure out what was wrong. After reading several different threads and articles, I learned some very useful information. The reason the manuals tell you to replace cover on the master cylinder while bleeding is because the residual pressure valve for the drums causes fluid to spray up when you depress the pedal. This means that the fountain I was working so hard to eliminate is actually an artifact of the system's design. At some point I may end up removing the valve like you would with a front disc conversion, but the system is working right now and I don't want to mess with it.

Did I mention that I don't like drum brakes

I received the BESRK parking brake brackets Monday and got them painted up today. New rear cables have also been ordered, so I hope to have them installed this coming weekend.

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

This weekend was an awesome weekend. I got to drive the Jeep for the first time in THREE YEARS!!! I have never been so happy to hear an engine start.

Before going out for the drive, I had my wife pump the brakes so I could watch the calipers engage the pads on the rotor. All was good, so I took her for a spin around the neighborhood. She stops really well... once the pedal is depressed about half way. I am putting the parking brake cable installation on hold (although the cables I bought look like they will work well) so I can try bleeding them one more time. I plan to start with a gravity bleed... and if that doesn't work we will try bleeding on a wood block.

Also got the "nose art" back from the artists at Victory Girl. Jerri is an outstanding artist and I can't wait to get the paint done so I can install the decals.

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Well... it has been two months since I lasted posted to this thread. It is hard to believe that it has been that long. But since it is June and our new addition is scheduled to arrive this week, I thought now was good time to check my progress against the plan. Here was what I posted when I started the project:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
... As it stands, the plan is for the build to unfold in four phases:

Phase 1: I am trying to have this done before our second child arrives in June.
• Brakes
• Steering
• Driveline fluids and seals
• Oil change, radiator flush and tune up (if one is needed)
• Check out the electrical wiring
• Clean up the tub and frame and stop/slow down rust.
I wish I had long list of updates and tons of pictures to pass on. Unfortunately, about the only thing that I can check of the list is the brakes. Life has once again stepped in to slow Jeep progress. Between family visits, travel for work and household projects, Jeep progress has been slow. That doesn't mean I haven't been productive:

And the work trip was to Germany, so its not all bad...

But the Jeep work has stalled (not the Jeep... it runs great right now and stops better than before ... just progress on the repairs). July is probably shot with the new baby coming. But we will see how August goes...

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Meet the worlds newest Jeeper... all 8lbs and 12oz of him.

Unread 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday and time with family.

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #27
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

I brought it home from the shop today. That was a learning experience. She looks awesome, but now the build plan is in total chaos. For those still following along, a full update will follow shortly.
image-2618168638.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.