408 Magnum YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 408 Magnum YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
dfeland

408 Magnum YJ

Not really a build thread but an engine swap. I have had the jeep since 1996 and it has gone through many changes. Currently it has Tera CRD60's, tera 4:1 low,37 bfg km2's and Alcans springs. I built a 4.6 stroker in 1999 and ran it up until now. The engine ran great and still had low miles but it was time for something different.

The original plan was to take a 318 and stroke it for a OBD 1 390 and install a 46rh trans out of a grand cherokee. I wanted to keep it internally balanced was the reason for going a 318. Then I found a 360 block already machined and a Scat internally balance stroker kit.

I ran into two issues that made me swap it from ODB 1 to an ODB 2. 1. I needed the ability to tune the engine because of the cam choice. 2. Because of length I had to covert the RH trans to an RE, meaning it went from a mechanical governor to electronic. I am not saying a 46Rh would not fit a YJ just not mine. As it turns out the V8 and shorter trans put me at 1/2" longer than the original 4.6/ax-15/231 combo. This meant that my driveshafts were not modified, so a plus there.

Here is a picture of the jeep.

Here is the engine ready to be dropped in with my helper in the background.

Here is the jeep with guts out ready for test block to go in and weld new motor mounts in. I used the AA mounts they just worked better for what I was doing.

Here is the trans ready to go in. I had the case powder coated for easy cleaning. I used a Lokar shifter 16" length, the linkage had to be modified to make it work for what I needed. Also I used a novak 231 shifter.

Here is a finished interior shot showing the shifter.

And last an engine bay shot.

The engine is a 360 magnum block with EQ heads and 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust. It has a hughes HER2228 cam with mopar roller lifters and Scat 408 stroker kit. I went wtih hyper pistons since I have no plans for forced induction.

The trans front case came from a 1994 grand cherokee and the OD housing came from a 2000 dodge 1500 4x4. I used the jeep case because it puts the starter on the passenger side. It has red eagle clutches and every upgrade from PATC including new electronics.

Overall everything came out great. The trans shifts good with lots of upgrades. The automatic took a little getting used to but I am getting there. Engine isn't perfectly dialed in yet but runs great. Only had it wheeling once so far and it did fine.

Enjoy!

dfeland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
84jeepcj7rock

What kind of intake/ fuel injection is that.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
dfeland

Off a 1997 dodge 1500. When i get the funds i will upgrade. Intake has been power coated same as trans case.
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
dfeland

Got the A/C charged with R-12 today. One step closer to being finished with this thing!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.