35's no lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 35's no lift

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

35's no lift TJ

I've had a couple jeeps and while all built how I liked at the time, all had 4.5"/6" of lift for 35's and 38's. Although the 38 was on a full width YJ trail jeep.

That brings me to this point.

Was looking for a built rig but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I wanted to save that money! So a few months of looking around I found an 03 rubi, auto, 138K on the clock. perfect.

At the guys place I bought it from.

Boner stock.

As far as a built plan- I knew I wanted zero lift, highlines, TT and something that wasn't 7500 lbs. Was pretty set on 33's from the beginning as I didn't want to re gear for 35's, plus they would be easier on the drive train as we all know RCV's aren't cheap.

That being said, I did a good bit of research and calling around and decided Savvy was the best option. After I whored myself out for a few months, I cleaned up on their website.

However, It took me about 3 months to get the first round of mods done as work had me to

and

So once I got back I started on the Novak Cable shifter. That was a ***** to get to with no body lift and the oem skid plate. Looking back, I would do it in a completely different order.

Got you you little bastard!

Then went the body lift for the TT.

MML

Painted steel hardware for TT with POR 15. Anyone that has used this- the orig can is the worst design, hardly "reusable".

Did a little hood louvering with the PSC Kit. Along with new radiator, flush, thermostate and belts, i run very cool. Probably too cool.

That's all for now. I gotta do something other than sit on here.

blysccr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So after doing the body lift I put on the Savvy cross member. That wasn't too bad, the directions are very well laid out- albeit outdated. Got that on, saw how much space it cleared up to do the novak. Body lift and TT crossmember will make that a lot easier.

Also, I would have taken my front fenders off to do the MML. Note for you guys thinking about doing something similar.

Savvy arms on the ground.

and gas tank skid. Saw a thread "Bump and Grind" that raised the GTS up even more. Daddy like that.

some jk turn signals- easy peasy

Bought this. Researched the **** out of them. Yes the Lincoln powermig just came out but this was out for a couple years. I like the gun and consumables, but you have to order them. Which looking back would have made the lincoln a better choice but this has a little more ***. I was throwing too much heat on some 1/2" plate which is more than I'll ever need.

This brings me to my next stage- fenders and steering. I know i needed to beef up the steering and looked around for some time for upgraded steering for 0" lift Tj's. I called up JCR offroad because most people seemed to be happy with their kit, so I got their Over The Knuckle kit along with the correct tapered reamer.

Before I ordered the kit I explicitly asked if this would work for a stock height TJ. Their answer was a resounding "yes, you won't have any problems"

BS.

As you can see the tie rod was rubbing the OEM track bar. The tires would turn approximately 3-5". Not enough. So I had to pay to ship it back and got 75% refund and 25% store credit.

Can't say I would ever do business with them again after my store credit runs out. Ordered rear bumper to frame braces three weeks ago, still waiting on them....

Anyways, back to the drawing board. Thank goodness TMR customs makes a stock TJ taper insert. Picked that up from a local dealer. Luckily 7.15 degree taper is 3/4" which is the diameter of the hole for the insert.

Life saver.

As you can see the fenders were already put on. Sorry for the lapse. I got mad thinking about JCR again.

Anyways they are the PSC Defender XC Taper 3" flare. install went well. Jason at Krawl Offroad hooked me up with the fenders and the inners.

Install went well. Fit pretty darn good. Was nervous about installing the fuse block under the hood.

31's no lift and highlines.

33's

did a couple little things- e code headlights, orsham bulbs and aftermarket harness.

Healtech speedo healer (more on that later)

Almost forgot- Mac's cold air intake.

10/10 would buy and install again. I F-ed it up as you'll be able to see.

I did this before i did the fenders because I knew realestate was going to be tight. Sorry again.

^ that's where I blew it. put too close to the back of the cowel. Don't do this if you get MCAI.

Kit came 100% complete. Good packaging and darn good directions, but I still messed up. Make sure you clean the intake tubes as there is spooge on them. Verdict- sounds good. Have the annoying cone filter intake at 2K. Can't say gas mileage is better because it sounds soo good, even on stock exhaust, when you're up around 3K. Definitely runs better. Cleared up buncha room.
Unread 12-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
itsnotmyjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was originally thinking of picking something up and doing 35s and no lift, but I ran across a good deal.

I like where you are going with this build. Keeping them low!
Unread 12-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had to weld in the inserts and also complete sway bar mounts with braces. It doesn't look pretty, but it'll hold....I hope. Much more proficient gluing metal after a few pounds of scrap.

Cut rear fenders. Mark 3 times, cut once, right?

realistically I cut to the pinch weld. Left me with this.

got me some tailights. I had Litedots on my other jeep (did I mention I liked them at the time?) and they weren't worth it, in my book. So I got these. A hair big but when's the last time you've had a problem with someone saying it's too big?

Some wiring. YMV. Keep in mind the other side has to be grounded to make it work.

They look nice. I like. 70$ for the pair.

and there she is on her on weight.

That brings me to last week. Started shopping for tires. Was set on 33's. Found a good deal on 35's and bead locks. Seller couldn't get specs, didn't know how to measure back spacing. So I drug my feet and when I get a free weekend they were sold. So I started looking for used 35's because a local guy has a very similiar setup, but with 2" lift springs, and he's going to run 37's. That didn't take much to sell me.

So I got these .

And everyone knows the 42rle and even 33's are a stretch for stock 4.10's, so S1036s, or Jester Fab on pirate hooked me up with these

5.13 Nitros. I hope I made the right choice. I couldn't find much bad about them, not nearly as much as Yukon, but the sample size is smaller. So take that for what it's worth, but I'm gonna try them and see how it goes. They are getting put in as we speak.

You can see some steel to make a bumper, and I have the other stuff in the house- spindle, latch, lugs for spare, etc. (but not bumper to frame brace from JCR just sayin)

Also got a Tatton rear cv shaft. Forgot about that but oh well. It looks pretty and heavy duty. I like. Have vibes around 50, the gear guy is taking a look at my pinion angle today too.

That leads me to right this very moment. I'm getting new 35's MTRw/K on the cheapo rims. They have the right back spacing for the next round.

I'm planning that to be...duh duh duh

Swag offroad body mount lifts, outboard the rear shocks and fix the rear spring angle. Get me some weld on beadlocks with the ever illusive aluminum rock ring. Looking pretty hard at black magic pads and centric rotors.

Not sure what I want to do with a rear bumper or rear bumper tire carrier. I have the stuff to make my rear but like the clean rear look and more centralized weight. Jury still up on that front.

Probably do rotors after payday because of the 35's.

I know I don't want to get bigger than 37's because I still like to drive this bad boy on the street. That being said, I'll maybe eventually get rear alloys that support 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Front RCV's and warn lock out kit with vanco BBK? (why not just build a 60, right?) Maybe a truss if I mid arm it? Not sure what I want to do with the axles as a whole. They should be fine. I don't mind using a little throttle here and there, but this isn't rock racing.

If I kept your attention this long, let me know what you think. Haven't wheeled it yet so I gotta put it through it's paces, right?
Unread 12-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your build thread put me over the edge to start one. I like it! I also want to do boat sides, do you have any pics of the inside?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotmyjeep View Post
I was originally thinking of picking something up and doing 35s and no lift, but I ran across a good deal.

I like where you are going with this build. Keeping them low!
Unread 12-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
axxxgijoexxxa

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a nice looking jeep! Looking forward to pics with the 35's!
Unread 12-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You and me both. I hope they fit and i still get oem up travel. Wheels are 3.75" back space so should stick out plenty.

BM pads and rotors ordered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxgijoexxxa View Post
Thats a nice looking jeep! Looking forward to pics with the 35's!
Unread 01-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

5.13's are in. they are somewhat loud. Installer said "I don't know if I've ever installed an easier to set up set of gears". So everything looked good and went in fine and got to specs no problem.

Sounds like the 31" all seasons are boggers. Maybe not that bad but it is noticeable.

Jeep is torquey. Been breaking in the gears. Jeep feels right, can't wait for the 35's tomorrow.

Also will mess with blue monkey speedo healer when I get the tires on.

Small oil leak I need to track down as well.

Oh, and BM pads are in. Ordered 12/31/14 and showed up today. Respect!

rotors and 2" extended lines to be in this week will plan on bleeding brakes this weekend.

Also got an IAS CO2 tank on the way. Was going to build one myself but with shipping was cheaper to just buy from IAS. Will post pics
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tires fit. 35" MTR w/ K. 3.75" back spaced cheapo steel wheels.

Need to adjust steering stops a hair.

Haven't flexed it but looks to have plenty of clearance.

Speedo Healer is plug and play. Works perfect. Gears still a little loud but not as noticable now.

JCR "Just made and will ship today" my bumper parts. Not going to use them again. Ever.

Hoping to get to the brakes this weekend. 35's are a little harder to stop than 31 9.50 15's

Unread 01-07-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
reichard117

2014 JK Wrangler 

Deals Gap in a Cuise?! surely you could have found something more turn friendly. I bet it was still fun though. I like how you cleaned out Savvy. I would build a TJ pretty similar. What's next??
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haha that's before I was part of the Emerald Isle club. Believe it or not, but that handled pretty well. Hanging with a noob on a sport bike pretty well.

Yeah I guess I did. I don't usually do that, but after the research it seemed that for everything I wanted they were the best. Looking back I should have pushed for a complete jeep parts discount lol.

Next step is to make sure I have adequate clearance. Looks like I should be fine but I need to flex it out.

After that I want to outboard rear shocks and straightened the springs. I'm concerned that after out boarding my springs will easily be unseated. Not feeling a longer spring but we'll deal with that when needed. Eventually chromo and rcvs I guess. The rubi 44's should be good for 35's with an auto.

Then I want to do the swag body mount lift and do a boat side. I can't see the stock rubi rocker guards lasting too long.
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hoping Mudb8 will see this and learn me some shock/bumpstop/uptravel lessons!
Unread 01-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

got rear calipers swapped around and bypassed the charcoal canister. Hoping it won't throw any codes. process was easy peasy. Will get the Black Magic ebrake kit when I do rear chromo's

waiting on brake lines to do centric rotors and BM pads. Looking to do rear Chromo. I'd like to go with revolution but haven't seen any for a TJ rubicon.

Control arms were about 1/2" off front and rear and side to side. going to set at stock length (15.75" front and rear) and check some clearances.

Finally got a vacuum brake bleeding kit. Should be simple.

Will start collecting parts for rear shock towers, spring, and swag body lift for round two. Hopefully get to see some rocks here soon, can't wait to try out those MTR's!
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
blysccr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bled brakes. Took forever for my extended lines to show up. Vacuum brake bleeder is sweet. After the first go round of break in I thought I just wasted 200 bucks. Drive around for 10 mins and hit the brake pedal aggressively and locked up the mtrs. Needless to say the hype is legit.

Planning on checking clearances tomorrow. Haven't adjusted control arms yet- just got off Jack stands and did brakes tonight.

Will put to stock length.

Also- looks like there is ample parking brake cable for me to relocate for rear caliper swap without black magic brackets. Will look into that later.

Looks like I am using this space for my own enjoyment. Does my build really suck that bad? At any rate I'm putting everything here to keep track of it. Pirate flip off smiley.
Unread 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
crankwalk
2014 JK Wrangler 

I like the height , not too tall. You used some well engineered parts on there.
crankwalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.