350 conversion questions complete novice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 350 conversion questions complete novice.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Jparker1992
1994 YJ Wrangler 

350 conversion questions complete novice.

I'm extremely new to working on vehicles but want to learn and i love my jeep so i would really enjoy learning how to work on it. I am planning to convert it from a 4cylinder to a 350. I was referred to advance adapters for their kit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My other question is how do I check and see what transmission is in my jeep. Also if it is an ax15 is that really suitable for a 350 conversion. I have heard differing opinions on that. I appreciate any helpful input thanks

Jparker1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
angelhitman
1969 C101 

Ok I will try to direct u some but there are many experts on here that can rattle info off top of there heads more precise facts. 1st clarify what jeep u have. 92 yj? Or xj. I believe the 2.5l often had the ax5. But u can check Novak they generally got some good info 2 nd what are u intentions ? Daily, rocks mud all the above? What is the sbc u are using ? Carb, tpi, ls1? Are u changing ur rear end ? Do u like clutch or auto? And finally what is ur budget?

A stock 80's 350 puts out low hp moderate toque 260ish hp and 280ish ft I lbs torque.

A 2012 ls3 can easily get 500 go 450 ft lbs torque.

1st combo probably ok for a dana 35 rear ax 15 combo on 31's mild offroad. 2nd motor not so good.

Also tire and gear size are factors. I've seen 2.5l snap dana 35 axles with 35 " tires. Doing mild climbing.

Simply put. When u increase the torque in a drive train regardless if it is a 350 or a a cummins. U have to match the components behind it adequately.

I run a tpi 305 from a z28 with a sm420 tranny from a early Chevy trk into a dana18 transfer with a dana 44 rear. And I wish my rear was a 60 or a 9 inch ford. I don't daily drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

"Praise jeepus" because everyone has to worship something. (hitman)
angelhitman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Jparker1992
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 1994 jeep wrangler with a 4cy and ax5. i honestly dont know much more than that. im just buying what i need and having a mechanic put it in. as for use nothing too serious really just the occasional mudding and light hauling if i need to move some stuff. i have no intention of rock crawling but i would still like to lift it. Forgive my ignorance i am brand new to this.
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
angelhitman
1969 C101 

No prob. Mild to moderate off road and musing I would do a sbc carb motor with an automatic like a short turbo 350. Auto will help cushion the torque to rear end. I would do a 8.8 ford rear end with disc upgrade to insure to handle the torque. If change rear and want a good all around clutch set up I would do a nv4500 5 speed. Either way u will need adapters check out Novak. I believe most complete IMHO then a decent brand lift say 4" set of 33 inch tires and nice rims to match gear front and rear axles to match what u want and enjoy. Add aluminum radiator and fan to match engine.

U may want to join a local club. U can find similar people with local experience and could help u with a fabricator that can help direct u in parts they will need. A lot of fabricators like to get there own parts because they know what works best and saves money in long run.

What is ur budget. A friend did a 350 stuff in late 90's and it cost a pretty penny to pay someone else to do. I would imagine ur looking at $3000-$5000 in doing this paying someone else

Keep working on it don't get discourage keep researching and talking to people. Watch for Craigslist deals and on JF parts . I have bought a lot through those venues. I even got my turn key tpi on cl. But don't buy till u and ur fabricator come up with a game plan. I know I have done the opposite and bought with intent and often is fitting a square peg in round hole costing more then it should.

Unread 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
angelhitman
1969 C101 

Final thought I don't know if u have a mechanic or fabricator? I mean no disrespect to any mechanic but if u are payng someone to do a 350 stuff in a jeep that is not experienced in it then u are paying for there experimenting. Go with a shop with jeep fabrication experience. Most jeep shops have done this a dozen times and have learned each time. They would be best on advising u on this. Again this is easily found through a club. Here we have awesome shop close to me. And yes they see part of my club. Good luck hope I have helped

Unread 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Jparker1992
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you That honestly helps a lot. I was also wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to just go with a stock 6 cylinder and ax15. Unfortunately cost is an issue and it's looking as though a 350 conversion would cost more than I had thought. Since I won't be doing Any serious off roading I don't think I really need a 350 or equivalently
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A 4.0 swap is almost as much work and money as a 350. You would have to get motor, trans, and t-case. The 4-banger trans and t-case are a different spline count (21 vs. 23) then the 4.0 stuff. How much are You willing to spend? Give us a number and We can tell You if You can get it done for that. You Might want to think about selling the Jeep You have and buying one that already has a 4.0 or v-8 in it. Not trying to piss on Your parade but a motor swap is kinda a major undertaking. I did a Vortec 350 swap in My last YJ and I figure it costed Me around $5000+ by the time I was done. That included swapping in a 8.8 axle. I did all the work Myself. Sure it can be done cheaper but if its cobbled together it will not be reliable and cost You more money down the road.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Jparker1992
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got you. I don't want to sell the jeep in all honesty since its my first. I may just fix it up and leave the motor as is. I'm willing to drop between 4-6k though. I won't be able to do the swap myself however so I would have to pay for labor. It is seeming as though it would be best to just buy a jeep with a 4.0 though the more I look at it. Is there any where I can find like a complete list of parts id need for the swap to a 350 or 6cy? I know novak and advanced adapters have kits but I'm sure they don't include everything I would need
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

First off this should be posted in Advanced Tech. This section is for peoples ongoing builds. While you are here find some that involve 350 swaps. Most people document them pretty well. You can search this site and Google will yield some good results as well.

I have 2 pieces of advise:

Swap out the rear axle like angelhitman mentioned.

Go fuel injection

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Jparker1992
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok thank you. my apologies for using the wrong part of the forum >.< im new here but you all have been very helpful. my searches on google have usually taken me to kits by novak or other people asking the same question.
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im in the begining stages of a 5.3 swap. I have the motor, trans, hp30 and an 8.8 already. I just made a list of most of the parts I need to put this all together and came up with $4700 and thats without tires and wheels, which I also need. Motor and trans are the easy parts to buy, its all the little stuff that adds up fast. My wife about crapped her pants when I told her.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
angelhitman
1969 C101 

You may want to think of two different plans here.
1. 350 or any none stock swap going to cost. Watch for deals. Friend just sold 8.8, d30 , all moly axles 513 gears locked front and rear with 37 goodyear reds? with beadlocks and transfer and tranny from a 92 yj for below 3000. Pretty much bolt in. So look for deals. Save up. Do not try to guess what u will need as u go. U will always buy stuff wrong.

2. If u are looking at 4.0. That is easier. Look for and wait for a 4.0 91-95 yj that is salvaged or wrecked. 2500 should get u a turn key drive train. Work deal with ur mechanic to swap the drive train including computer and harness. Make sure if wreck it has not been on fir. Offer left over chassis and old parts to mechanic. Or take it to scrap yard for. A few bucks. 2-3 hundred. Or if good part it out. U may get lucky and get a dana 44 rear. But ur 410 gears behind a 4.0. Would be a good daily driver weekend offroad. Would help with larger tires. In the end I think u would come in around 4000. Ps. Have mechanic do lower end bearings while out. They tend to go out over time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.