3/4 ton YJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 3/4 ton YJ

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #91
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

haven't started yet, lol ive got another 60 with 30 spline Yukons that im putting under it for now just w/ 37"s i think it will hold. I was just thinking future with 35 spline chromos. My steering should be here soon for my front. Im basically using the same axles as you and doing the same thing. Ive got two sets of front waggy springs im thinking about putting in but i'll have to get a fuel cell to do that and i dont really want to do that or modify my factory tank and skid.

jeepster1407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #92
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Modify the factory tank... especially if you have a plastic tank... you can cut and notch the skid then heat and remold the tank. Then you dont have to buy a fuel cell or have to worry about losing the back seat or installing a tank.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #93
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ya that's what I'm leaning towards doing. Did you modify your tank any?
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #94
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have an aftermarket tank... but I did still have to clearance my tank. I will find the link on P4x4 for the stock tank mod.

Unread 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #95
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I haven't updated this much... probably because not much has changed... I added some synthetic line to my warn. But that is about the extent of it. I have however started making plans for some improvements in the next 2 months.

I have excessive blowby... so I am thinking about taking off the head and looking at the cylinders. Baring any ovular walls I think I am going to rering the pistons and all new gaskets in the motor. I picked up another TF999, so I am going to put a transgo shift kit in it and weld up the breather vent under the bellhousing and move it to the top of the transmission. Also I have been kicking around the idea of rewiring all the accessories.

Finally, one of the things I really want to do... I am thinking about making my windshield "quick release". I am thinking about drilling out the pins in the windshield hinges and putting a spring loaded quick release pin in there. Any thoughts?

Unread 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #96
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ5 View Post
So I haven't updated this much... probably because not much has changed... I added some synthetic line to my warn. But that is about the extent of it. I have however started making plans for some improvements in the next 2 months.

I have excessive blowby... so I am thinking about taking off the head and looking at the cylinders. Baring any ovular walls I think I am going to rering the pistons and all new gaskets in the motor. I picked up another TF999, so I am going to put a transgo shift kit in it and weld up the breather vent under the bellhousing and move it to the top of the transmission. Also I have been kicking around the idea of rewiring all the accessories.

Finally, one of the things I really want to do... I am thinking about making my windshield "quick release". I am thinking about drilling out the pins in the windshield hinges and putting a spring loaded quick release pin in there. Any thoughts?
I'd like to see how this would work. Sounds like an awesome idea!
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #97
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to get my rig ready for the wheeling season. Doing all the little stuff to keep her running right. I plan on working on the electrical and the drivetrain.

Put an optima red top in her today... Gonna fab up a battery tie down (I have a pretty trick idea for all the YJ guys). I dug around the shop and found some wiring harnesses for my hella headlights. Much better than having exposed wire connectors. I also got a fuse box out of a ford ranger. I am going to rewire all my accessories through it. Lastly I plan on getting a 136 amp alternator to help with powering all the crap on my rig.

I also picked up a set of cheap baja claws. I took the groover to them. Grooved 3 lbs total out of all 4 (the picture is just from 1 tire). I put in 10 oz of airsoft BBs in each tire.
img137.jpg   img135.jpg   img131.jpg  

Unread 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #98
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Knocked out a battery tie down for the optima... and here is a couple of pictures of how I plan to wire up my accessories. Its cheap and convenient.
img145.jpg   img146.jpg   tie-down-1.jpg   tie-down-2.jpg  

Unread 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #99
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got a little more done today. I got the optima bolted down... and started on my windshield modification.

For those who don't know the hinge pins are welded on the ends. So I started by cutting roughly 1/4" off either side. I cleaned up the cuts on the hinges a little (have more to do with a die grinder). Then I hit is with some PB Blaster and knocked the hinge pin out. The wiper motor connects from under the dash. You can disconnect it there. The hinge pin is 7/16ths diameter, and right now I have a 4" bolt going through it. I will buy a couple of 7/16ths spring loaded quick release pins. It got dark before I finished and could snap a finished photo. I also wanted to throw a poser shot in there too.
p1030735.jpg   p1030736.jpg   p1030737.jpg   p1030738.jpg   p1030739.jpg  

Unread 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #100
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Been steadily working on this thing... I replaced my battery cables (increased my voltage just by doing this)... I was suprised how much old gnarled up terminals hinder your electrical system. I also wired up my secondary fuse box. This thing is so convenient. I have my light relay, my cb, my efan, my OBA all wired up through this box. It is easy to get to and cleaned up all the wiring. I also read an interesting thread in the YJ section about a severe case of blowby (which my rig has). The owner merely cleaned the inside of the valve cover and the baffles, replaced the vacuum lines and cured his rig of puking oil. So I gave it a shot. I had a valve cover gasket I had purchased last summer and never used, so I figured what the heck. I took it up to the car wash and degreased the engine and we'll see if I still have issues. Finally, I took one of my old 30 spline full float rear shafts and cut the flange off. I figure if I break a rear axle shaft I now have a cap I can bolt back over the hub/spindle so fluid wont puke out all over.
img153.jpg   img148.jpg   img151.jpg   img152.jpg   img149.jpg  

img150.jpg  

Unread 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #101
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not much response... but I will keep on updating this.

I hit the junk yard and got a volvo fan relay... plan on getting that wired up here soon and I will have the high setting on my efan. Although the low speed setting has always been sufficient.

Also picked up a 97 4.0 out of a cherokee with 200K on the clock last Sunday. Got it cleaned up and on a stand monday afternoon. Tore it down, this motor is in great condition. It still had the cross hatch on the cylinders! I purchased new rings, rod bearings, valve stem seals, all new gaskets, a timing chain, t-stat and a tune up kit. My buddy owns a media blasting shop, going to have the whole thing blasted and start reassembly of the motor.

Going to get my antiwrap bar on soon, I had to dig up another set of FSJ front springs after I hashed my rear springs wheeling without an antiwrap.

After the motor gets rebuilt I will start right into my TF999. My transgo shift kit and rebuild came in, I figure I will snatch the whole drivetrain out at once and replace it all at once.
img161.jpg   img166.jpg   img167.jpg   img168.jpg  

Unread 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #102
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome build. You're one of the first guys I've seen put a sway bar back on a YJ. Understandable though with the SOA setup. Looking forward to some wheeling pics.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #103
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man...

yeah, the waggy springs are real soft, I would get a lot of body roll, so I hooked it back up. It is getting close to wheeling season... trying to get it right to have some fun this year.

Unread 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #104
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ5 View Post
It is getting close to wheeling season... trying to get it right to have some fun this year.
Same here. I've been getting ready since my last trip in December. Right now I just need the HD Dana 30 pinion yoke to put on my front axle. Then I'll be ready.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #105
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Motor has started to be reassembled. Got the crank dropped back in and the main caps torqued back down. New rear main while I was at it. Easier to change the thing while its on a stand. More work will be done on it in the next few days.

In the mean time I started tearing into my transmission. These torque flights are really easy to work with. No real specialty tools needed, a pick set and some good snap ring pliers. I took the pan off and pretty stoked by what I found. Turns out this trans has an electronic solenoid for a lock up converter. Unfortunately my 91 doesn't have the electrical connection for a lock up converter off the pcm. BUT, this is a simple 1 wire solenoid that is internally grounded. So I am going to hook a switch on the dash with a 12V+ and wallah! have a "4th gear" when I am on the highway.

Also, will some of you guys who have rebuilt a transmission take a look at these bands and clutch plates. They look like they are in good condition to me. I actually believe this thing might have been recently rebuilt due to the fact that all of the gaskets looked new and oil seals.

I am going to start modifying the valve body for the Transgo shift kit.
img190.jpg   img193.jpg   p1030744.jpg   p1030749.jpg   p1030750.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.