2013 JK Rubicon "Sarge" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2013 JK Rubicon "Sarge"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
Sac2013

Looks good, really like the color!

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #47
KPM171
2013 JK Wrangler 

GREAT Write Up!!

It's wonderful to see other folks that are insanely detail oriented when building up their rigs as I am. I'm in a 2013 JKUR and debating the same AEV suspension set up when I do finally break down and get a lift.

Keep up the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazman View Post
Thanks to everyone for all of the encouraging words...

Here is my build summary for "Sarge", my 2013 JK Rubicon--though a Jeep is never truly ever finished. After all, a Jeep is just a down payment on accessories. I am considering this my Stage 1.5 build since it decidedly more than just a budget boost lift and new wheels, but also falls short of a 4" long arm lift and 37+" tires (...someday...). For a daily driver and weekend warrior I think it fits my needs almost perfectly---almost because for about 340 days a year it is perfect but the other 16 I wish I had more lift and bigger tires!

List of components including vendor source, pricing and personal rating:
***** Great item and great quality. Considered an absolute "must-have".
**** Good item and quality. Would definitely buy it again. No complaints.
*** Decent item and/or quality. Impartial but would likely buy it again.
** Poor item and/or quality. Would not likely buy again. Look for alternatives.
* Utter Crap. Regret wasting money on item. Destined for scrap bin.
No rating: Haven't installed or used item.

(A) Suspension:
Lift: AEV 2.5" Dual Sport Lift (Northridge 4x4) $949.95 ****
Axle Gussets: EVO Inner-C (Northridge 4x4) $60.99 ****
Front Sway Bar Links: EVO HD Links (EVO Mfg) $94.99 ***

(B) Wheels and Tires:
Wheels (5qty): Black Rhino "Imperial" 17x9 (Les Schwab) $161.00ea ***
Tires (5qty): Toyo Open Country MT 295/70-17 (Les Schwab) $335.00ea ****

(C) Front Bumper:
Smittybilt XRC MOD Center (4 Wheel Parts) $399.99 **
Smittybilt XRC MOD Bull Bar (4 Wheel Parts) $49.99 **
Smittybilt XRC MOD Mid-Width End Caps (4 Wheel Parts) $99.99 **
Winch: Smittybilt X2O 8000# (4 Wheel Parts) $399.99 **

(D) Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier:
Rear Bumper: Smittbilt SRC Rear Bumper (Quadratec) $499.99 *
Tire Carrier: Teraflex HD Hinge and Tire Carrier (Northridge 4x4) $499.99 ****
Jack Mount: Rugged Ridge Jack Mount - Modified (Quadratec) $94.99 ****

(E) Armor and Protection:
Siders: Ace Rock Sliders (Northridge 4x4) $319.95 *****

(F) Auxiliary Lighting:
Bumper: KC Slimlight 100 Watt Fog Lamp Pack (Quadratec) $176.99 ****
Windshield: KC Slimlight 100 Watt Driving Lamp Pack (Quadratec) $169.99 ****
Lower Bumper: Cree High Power (10w) LED Light (Amazon) $26.00ea **
Switch Mount: Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Pod (Quadratec) $29.99 ****
Windshield Mount: Poison Spider A-Pillar Mount (Northridge 4x4) $29.99 *****

(G) Interior and Misc:
Seat Covers: Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers (Quadratec) $169.99 ****
Tailgate Storage: Smittybuilt G.E.A.R Tailgate Cover (Quadratec) $59.99 *****
Grab handle: Master Craft Roll Bar Handle (4 Wheel Parts) $19.99 ***
Fire Extinguisher Mount: Rugged Ridge (4 Wheel Parts) $26.99 ***
Inclinometer: Rugged Ridge Inclinometer (O'Riley Auto Parts) $29.99 ***
Window Vent: AVS Ventvisor (Quadratec) $44.99 ***
Tuner: AEV Procal (AEV) $149.00 ****
Tow Harness: Cooltech Tow Harness Kit (Cooltech) $119.99 *****

Recovery:
Snatch Block: Smittybilt 18,000# (Quadratec) $24.99 ***
Hi-Lift Jack Accessory: Wheel Lift Adapter (Amazon) $34.09 ***
D-Ring Shackles 7/8 Shackles: (Northridge 4x4) $19.99 ***
Receiver Shackle: (4 Wheel Parts) $29.99 **
Recovery Strap: 30' x 2" Strap (4 Wheel Parts) $39.99 ***
Tree Saver: ARB 16'x3" 26,500# Tree Protector (Quadratec) $47.99 ***

Summer Gear:
Mirrors: Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation (Quadratec) $59.99 ***
Soft Top: Bestop Trektop NX Frameless Top (Quadratec) $655.99
Trail Doors: Body Armor Tube Trail Door (Quadratec) $289.99
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #48
Gudtime
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Kewl Pics.. Maybe its just me.. but I have seen the 'Gecko Green and now this color' at the local Jeep Dealer..and I am sorry.. but I 'Hate them Both' ! My Son has a 2012 JK..in 'Dark Blue'..looks okay, but shows the Dust more than my 'White Cherokee Sport' does ! (Mud is a different story, eh !) Each to his own I guess.. but the 'Orange, Gecko Green and GI Joe Green'..are sure not my color preferences !
I maybe 'Old School'..but 'White, Black and a Lot of Chrome' still catches my eye !
Gudtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #49
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post

How do you and Tanimal like the TF mount? I am debating between it, the GenRight carrier, and the ORF carrier.
Walle, congrats on your JKOTM win. We had a knuckle biter there for a while.

In regard to the TF carrier, I was somewhat skeptical when I went that direction over the ORF carrier (my second choice) but I couldn't be happier. I am running 295/75-17 Toyo (just shy of 34") which are heavy tires but so far even banging around in Moan for a week and various trails in the NW, the mount, spare and gate are still solid as day one. I will keep the TF carrier when I step up to 35's as well. The selling factor was that I wanted to have a carrier that opened with the gate and not separately. I would definitely do it again.
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #50
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPM171 View Post
It's wonderful to see other folks that are insanely detail oriented when building up their rigs as I am. I'm in a 2013 JKUR and debating the same AEV suspension set up when I do finally break down and get a lift.

Keep up the posts.
Thanks.

I have been extremely happy with the AEV lift. For the 2 door, the 2.5" works great and the street handling is still good without the need for the geometry correction brackets. The 3.5" inch would like make the 2-door a bit flighty without them. Your longer wheelbase of the Unlimited wouldn't need the bracket at all. However, with the 2.5 lift, the boot of the front drive line just barely touches the exhaust crossover at full droop. The 3.5 lift would need the exhaust spacers (but are kind of cheesy in my opinion) or a aftermarket drive line to get away from burning the stock boot on the exhaust. As the build continues, I will likely keep the 2.5 lift even when I do get around to upgraded drive lines and larger tires in order to keep a low CG.

Keep in mind that any mod is a balance of compromises. The AEV lift is no different. The progressive rate coils are awesome on the road and even on wash-boarded dirt roads, but when truely off road I think that they are a bit stiff and reduces some flexibility in the suspension. Other folks with softer suspension seem to go through obsticles a bit faster and smoother. With that said, the rig has still proven to be far more capable that my nerves and the suspension hasn't been a drawback to me at all. Since it is a DD and weekend warrior, I am extremely happy with the setup.
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudtime View Post
Kewl Pics.. Maybe its just me.. but I have seen the 'Gecko Green and now this color' at the local Jeep Dealer..and I am sorry.. but I 'Hate them Both' ! My Son has a 2012 JK..in 'Dark Blue'..looks okay, but shows the Dust more than my 'White Cherokee Sport' does ! (Mud is a different story, eh !) Each to his own I guess.. but the 'Orange, Gecko Green and GI Joe Green'..are sure not my color preferences !
I maybe 'Old School'..but 'White, Black and a Lot of Chrome' still catches my eye !
If we all had the same preferences, every vehicle would be exactly the same and that would be boring. The other thing to keep in mind is that opinions are like butt-holes: everyone has one and most of them stink. :-)
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #52
OR-TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think the both greens and both oranges are sweet. Black and white are boring colors. And today no one likes chrome unless its the wheels on a Chevelle. You got a cool color man
OR-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR-TJ
I think the both greens and both oranges are sweet. Black and white are boring colors. And today no one likes chrome unless its the wheels on a Chevelle. You got a cool color man
Thanks man. I saw the jeep on the dealers lots and fell in love with it right off. I think it is one of the best colors in years. There was a similar color a few years back, but had a bit of gold flake in it. The commando green doesn't have any metallic and is reminiscent of the olive drab roots of the jeep. It is not a common color and that makes it cool in its own way. I personally love it. The wife wants the same color in a Unlimited now! We might be a two-jeep family in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #54
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

With summer around the corner, I threw my summer top on - a Bestop NX Trektop - just in time for more NW rain. This past Memorial Day weekend we tagged along with the Timber Tamers to the Tillimook State Forrest ORV park in Oregon for some fun in the mud. Good news, the top is nice and rain proof (and mud proof). Also gave the skid plate and rock sliders a good workout.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #55
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazman

Walle, congrats on your JKOTM win. We had a knuckle biter there for a while.

In regard to the TF carrier, I was somewhat skeptical when I went that direction over the ORF carrier (my second choice) but I couldn't be happier. I am running 295/75-17 Toyo (just shy of 34") which are heavy tires but so far even banging around in Moan for a week and various trails in the NW, the mount, spare and gate are still solid as day one. I will keep the TF carrier when I step up to 35's as well. The selling factor was that I wanted to have a carrier that opened with the gate and not separately. I would definitely do it again.
I just saw this...

Thanks! You should enter again! So, I've decide between the GenRight aluminum carrier and the TF carrier. Right now, I am leaning towards the TF one, but I absolutely love the look of the GR carrier. I am with you...I like the idea of the carrier swinging open with the tailgate. We will see. I just bought some more toys, so the carrier will have to wait.

Awesome pics by the way. Looks like you had fun this past weekend!
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #56
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Updates? We miss sarge....
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #57
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Body Armor Trail Doors

Updates? Of course!! Life has been busy so I am a bit behind on updating the build and adventures. Most recently was the addition of a mount for my Nexus7 for GPS, Nav, and topo maps, but since I don't have pictures (yet), that update will follow shortly. However, with the nicer summer weather here in the Northwest (finally), I did find time to install the trail doors.

Body Armor trail doors:
I researched all of the trail door options for the JK (at least the major ones) and other than the BodyArmor ones they all seem to take the easy way out and fall short in one aspect: on install, they require adjustment of the door striker on the vehicle. With the inconsistent weather on the Northwest (if you don't like the current weather, wait an hour and it will change), switching back and forth between the trail and stock doors is a frequent occurrence and I don't want to have to constantly be adjusting the striker.

The Body Armor latches are adjustable and don't require adjustment of the striker. The doors are solid and fit fairly well. The passenger door did rub low on the b-pillar a tad and resulted in a rattle that was easily cured with a strategically placed thin rubber pad glued to the tube of the door. The driver side door fit perfect. They are solid and close securely. The only notable detail in switching doors is that holly [censored] the stock doors ccare heavy!

I will admit that at first I wasn't a fan of the "speed gussets" but I really like the netting. The net could fit a bit more snug (if i had to gripe about something) as there isn't really a clean way to cinch up the netting. However they are function and effective at keeping branches from reaching into the cab and whipping the legs.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the trail doors.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Nice update! Look forward to the nexus 7 mount as I would like to do the same.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.