2013 JK Rubicon "Sarge" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2013 JK Rubicon "Sarge"

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Sliders and Steps

With the jeep sitting a bit taller, I wanted some steps ....well, actually the wife wanted some steps. I looked at several options and ordered a set of Wheel-to-Wheel Nerf bars with steps from N-Fab. Upon receipt, they struck me as purely ornamental and not likely to offer much in the way of protection. The oversized tubing was surprisingly thin walled and the mounting brackets just seemed too thin and week to take much punishment beyond hitting a mosquito at any speed faster than a brisk walk. My opinion continued in a downward spiral as attempts to install them revealed that the bracket would not match up to the mounting holes on the pinch seam and the adapter bracket for the 2013 JK was apparently an afterthought. I aborted the mission and hit the forums looking for alternatives.

Enter, the Ace Rock Slider. I order up the Ace Sliders from Northridge 4x4 and had them sitting in the my garage two days later (free shipping too!). I did watch the YouTube install video and read the forum reviews. However, as it turned out, installing the sliders was by far the easiest add-on I have made yet. Not only did they bolt right into place using the body mounts (and letting me retain the factory Rubicon sliders), they look amazing, seem very sturdy, and double as a viable step as well. The rig is really starting to come together!

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

EVO C-Gussets

Catching up on progress… Last weekend I installed EVO Inner C gussets on the front axle. If by any chance, lifting the jeep and changing the suspension didn’t void the warranty, I suspect welding on the axle will.

Overall, it went fairly smooth, though I was pushing the limits of my MIG—a bit more amperage would have been nice! My welder also seems to have a poor sense of humor. I got the brackets tacked in place and then starting on the front side. Fizzle, pop, fizzle, pop. I had a tough time getting the bead to lay down—again, pushing the limits of my welder. I finally got decent penetration and the weld, albeit less than artful, is functional. Switching to the back side of the bracket, BZZZZZZZZZ, and tada—a nice clean, even bead. Of course, it is on the less visible back side of the axle! Switching to the drive side gussets with the welder dialed in I started on the front side with renewed confidence: Fizzle, pop, fizzle, pop. Suma*****! Of course, the back side again went smooth. I think it is time to have a stern talk with my welder.

So it ain't pretty, but it is functional and will serve its purpose until next year when I am planning on putting a Prorock 44 axle in. I also cut down the AEV sway bar link brackets as a temporary fix until my extended links arrive.

This final mod basically concludes my Stage 1 build and with that we have made plans to hit the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab.
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks great. What trails are you planning to run in Moab?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Moab or Bust

Trail Sign up:
3/25 Fins and Things (4-rating)
3/26 Gold Bar Rim (5 rating)
3/27 Flat Iron Mesa (5 rating)
3/28 Hells Revenge (6 rating)
3/29 Steel Bender (6 rating)

No 7's this year. Perhaps next year after I am bit more "seasoned".
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Sarge Earns His Star

This weekend marked the inaugural outing in Sarge since the last couple of months worth of weekends doing all of the Stage 1 mods. We met up with the local 4x4 club and tagged along on trek through the northwest woods at the Tahuya ORV Park, part of the Washington State Parks located on the Olympic Peninsula near Belfair, Washington. We actually had a break in the rain and were graced by some rare sunshine for our trek. While I wimped out and took the bypass around some of the hairy parts, there were still several good challenges which had the suspension completely twisted and flexed out-balancing on two tires on opposing corners. All-in-all I am aptly impressed with the performance of rig on and off the trail and am really looking forward to Moab now!

See my quick YouTube montage here:

Considering how well Sarge performed this weekend, he definitely earned his star.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazman View Post
Trail Sign up:
3/25 Fins and Things (4-rating)
3/26 Gold Bar Rim (5 rating)
3/27 Flat Iron Mesa (5 rating)
3/28 Hells Revenge (6 rating)
3/29 Steel Bender (6 rating)

No 7's this year. Perhaps next year after I am bit more "seasoned".
If you get a chance run Poison Spider mesa as well. It's well worth the time.

I was there two years back in my stocker and ran Gold Bar, Poison Spider, and the mistake of Golden Spike (7). That made for a long weekend (broken axle, hub, and 3 wheeling out). Hope you enjoy it!

Edit: How difficult was it to install that hood vinyl/sticker/whatever you want to call it yourself?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Seeing Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
If you get a chance run Poison Spider mesa as well. It's well worth the time.
Thanks for the input. I debated about signing up for the Poison Spider Mesa trail. Problem is that there are more trails than we have days to run them! Guess that means we’ll have to take another trip back there! I was looking seriously at Cliff Hanger (7) but hopefully by easing into the difficulty levels we can avoid too much carnage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
How difficult was it to install that hood vinyl/sticker/whatever you want to call it yourself?
The decal wasn’t too bad to put on, other than balancing on the front bumper and leaning over the hood without putting too much weight on it. The decal came from Alpha Vinyl and is available in several different sizes and colors. I went for the largest one they offer which is 20-inches for $20.49 in Black (matte finish, though they have gloss black too). The smaller ones are less $$$ as well.

http://alphavinyl.com/shop/customhoo...nvasion-style/

Installation wasn’t too bad. I opted not to wet the surface with their optional application fluid as this “floats” the decal and with 6 individual pieces I didn't want things moving around. The down side is that it’s more prone to air bubbles—but those cane be rectified with a pin and patience. I did clean the hood with window cleaner to remove any dirt, grime, grease, wax or other potential annoyances. The decal have both the transfer tape on top to maintain relative positioning of the pieces during install and a backing covering the adhesive side. With it aligned and one edge (front) taped, I laid it over, removed the backing, and then carefully laid it back in place using a plastic squeegee on top of the transfer tape to work the air bubbles out. Once it was fully rubbed out, I peeled the transfer tape off to reveal the plethora of air bubbles that were persistent enough to survive the rigors of the squeegee. Using the sharp point of a sharp xacto knife, I lanced each of the bubbles as I further work the vinyl with the squeegee to get it to lay flat (mostly). Total install time took about an hour.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice build up! I ran into the same "issue" with the AEV kit on the front brakelines. Great color choice by the way.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Catching Up

Its been a awhile since posting but no shortage of activity in the garage so here is a bit of catching up.

One of the my now favorite additions is a Smittybilt tailgate organizer. I almost ordered it in Black, but at the last minute I went with the olive drab color and as it turns out it is an almost perfect match for the commando green of the JK.

On the outside of the of the tailgate, I mounted the hi-lift jack. While TeraFlex has released a jack mount for their HD hinge and tire carrier, it is seemingly on perpetual back order. With EJS rapidly approaching, I wanted something sooner rather than later so I ordered a Rugged Ridge jack mount and modified it to fit the the TeraFlex hinge by welding a couple of tabs to pick up existing holes. I also added a bit of reinforcement to the mount since it seemed a bit flimsy. After a bit of cutting, drilling and welding, the end result turned out great and seems plenty stout to take the punishment of the trails now.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Almost Ready to Go.

Amongst the other mods, I have also rigged the rig for towing behind the RV. I installed a Cool Tech flat tow wiring harness which made the setup very easy. The hardest part was snaking the wire up through the frame rail. I used MIG welding wire to snake the frame tube and then enlisted the help of my wife to feed the wire harness through. The tow connector is mounted on the front bumper next to the driver side light. I did hit it with a coat of Rustoleum rattle-can spray-on truck bed paint which gives it a rough finish matching the bumper almost perfectly. On the passenger side, I mounted the breakaway for the Blue Ox Patriot brake assist- also painted in attempt to camouflage it against the bumper. One thing that was somewhat frustrating is that the Smittybilt bumper d-ring mounts are actually 1.00" diameter holes and the tow bar pins are 7/8". I wasn't comfortable with the slop, so I made some stainless spacers on the lathe at work so everything fits snug. We are ready to go now!

After researching the forums on various options for mounting a CB antenna, I mounted mine on the license plate bracket. Nothing fancy, but functional.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #26
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

How is the SWR on the cb? It seems like the tip is at or below the roof line, which is less than ideal. You may have issues sending/receiving 360 deg. around the Jeep. I had mine on a Teraflex tailgate mount with a 4' Firestik and it worked ok. It was above the roof line about a foot ,but have since decided to mount it off the drivers side windshield light mount. It raises the tip over the roofline by a good 2' which I'm thinking may help with range and reception around the Jeep. Just a thought , if you haven't already tested and tuned.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

SWR blues.

The SWR is admittedly less than ideal but will work for keeping in touch on the trail. However, location relative to the *fiberglass* roof of the jeep is irrelevant. The roll bar will be a bigger influence. Ideally, the antenna would be mounted in the center of a horizontal metal ground plane. The jeep is lacking suitable mounting places short of mounting it in the center of the hood. Thus, any given mounting is just a balance of compromises. I could probably find a worse place to mount the antenna than at a corner and parallel with the body panel, but it would take some creativity. Though, with the tree overgowth on the trails in the NW, keeping the antenna low does have a benefit. Not to mention, I can still drive it into the garage to work on it. I looked at various gate mounts, but with the factory subwoofer in the JK, there is a propensity to pinch the coax when closing the gate, but admittedly it would be a more effective location for the antenna..
- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazman View Post
The SWR is admittedly less than ideal but will work for keeping in touch on the trail. However, location relative to the *fiberglass* roof of the jeep is irrelevant. The roll bar will be a bigger influence. Ideally, the antenna would be mounted in the center of a horizontal metal ground plane. The jeep is lacking suitable mounting places short of mounting it in the center of the hood. Thus, any given mounting is just a balance of compromises. I could probably find a worse place to mount the antenna than at a corner and parallel with the body panel, but it would take some creativity. Though, with the tree overgowth on the trails in the NW, keeping the antenna low does have a benefit. I looked at various gate mounts, but with the factory subwoofer in the JK, there is a propensity to pinch the coax when closing the gate, but admittedly it would be a more effective location for the antenna..
I see we have a man who knows his CBs.

Jeep looks great, can't wait to see some EJS pictures.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Crazyantix_TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build
Crazyantix_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
jefro_97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice build, very detailed and informative wright ups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.