2012 JK with a 3.5" Clayton Long Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2012 JK with a 3.5" Clayton Long Arm

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Clayton Offroad
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2012 JK with a 3.5" Clayton Long Arm

Last week we brought in this 2012 lime green 2dr JK for a build. It ended up getting a 3.5" Clayton Long Arm kit, 1/4 skid plates, drag link flip kit, 4.88 gears, Tom Woods driveshafts, and Bilstein 5100 series shocks.

Let us know what you think or if you have any questions on the kit.

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been wondering for awhile about your seemingly exclusive use of square tube control arms. Is there any advantage to these over a round tube? Also your showing the exhaust downpipes being lengthened could you post a photo after it was complete. If you could do a write up on the Tom Woods drive shaft install as I don't recall anyone doing an in depth feature on it yet. Great looking Jeep!

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
BRay

I have a 2012 and I'm looking for a lift. Your is on my list but I have some questions.
With your lift kit the rear control arm mounts bolt to the frame rails is so do you need to drill the mounting holes and what preveents the frame from being squished?
I see the crossmember has been changed and appears to be required. Does this require modifying the exhaust or deleting the exhaust loop on this 3.6 equipped Jeep?
Thanks,
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Clayton Offroad
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I have been wondering for awhile about your seemingly exclusive use of square tube control arms. Is there any advantage to these over a round tube? Also your showing the exhaust downpipes being lengthened could you post a photo after it was complete. If you could do a write up on the Tom Woods drive shaft install as I don't recall anyone doing an in depth feature on it yet. Great looking Jeep!
Hello. Square is structurally a stronger shape, so if you compare the same material, wall thickness and diameter the square is harder to bend. This is also why our lift kits comes with a lifetime warranty against bending or breaking any of our control arms.
On the 2012+ models we use that AFE loop delete on the driver side, and have done it two ways now for the passenger side. You can use a tera or BDS exhaust spacer kit which will space the cross over pipe in order to gain clearance between the driveshaft and the pipe itself. Since its simple for us to weld, in this last install we just welded in a short tube to gain the space we needed.
Not really sure how in depth I can go on the driveshafts, and Im sure the guys at Tom Woods custom driveshafts can probably provide more information. But basically we have figured out what lengths work on each model, and transmission type. So if you order them from us you know they will work with our lift kits. There are a simple bolt in installation. Remove the factory flanges, and install the ones provided by Tom Woods. He sends new hardware and torque settings for the bolts. Once the flanges are installed, simply bolt on the 1310 CV style driveshafts and with our fully adjustable lift kits you can properly set the angles for this CV style driveshaft and you are all set.
Our lift kit instructions are online under Tech, and this might also add some information you are looking for.

Feel free to email us, or post up any other questions.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Clayton Offroad
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
I have a 2012 and I'm looking for a lift. Your is on my list but I have some questions.
With your lift kit the rear control arm mounts bolt to the frame rails is so do you need to drill the mounting holes and what preveents the frame from being squished?
I see the crossmember has been changed and appears to be required. Does this require modifying the exhaust or deleting the exhaust loop on this 3.6 equipped Jeep?
Thanks,
Our brackets are unique because of the pem brackets which clamp them together which means you do not have to worry about the frame getting squished. You do NOT go through both walls for the frame. The pem brackets slide into the frame, so that all the clamping force is on the actual frame itself instead of trying to clamp it together. Check out the instructions for a few pictures of how this works, and let us know if you have any questions.
Our long arm systems come with a new 3 piece cross member. Bolts into the factory location, and can be welded for additional strength. New grade 8 hardware is supplied along with plates to properly secure the cross member to the OE frame mounts. On 07-09 models no exhaust mod is necessary. On 10-11s the passenger side cat needs to be moved about 1" up, and on 12+ models you will need a AFE loop delete kit, and an exhaust spacer to push the cross over pipe closer to the cross members like they are in the 07-11 models.

Check out our instructions here.

http://claytonoffroad.com/tech.htm

And let us know if you have any other questions.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Clayton Offroad
Vendor

Here is a link to another 2012+ JK we did a few months ago. Basically the same as above but we took more pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9207675&type=3

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
BRay

Spoke to a couple of you Clayton on the phone recently. Thanks for your time and information on your product. Your 2012 long arm instructions say to use a 4.5" backspacing on the wheel. With a 35" tire on a 4.25" or 4.5" backspace will the tire clear the lower control arm without making contact turned on a full stuff of the tire?
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Clayton Offroad
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
Spoke to a couple of you Clayton on the phone recently. Thanks for your time and information on your product. Your 2012 long arm instructions say to use a 4.5" backspacing on the wheel. With a 35" tire on a 4.25" or 4.5" backspace will the tire clear the lower control arm without making contact turned on a full stuff of the tire?
Sorry for a little delay here, but a 4.5 inch BS should clear that control arm.

Alex
Marketing Director
Clayton Off Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.