2010 JK...Slow Build as money allows!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2010 JK...Slow Build as money allows!!

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

2010 JK...Slow Build as money allows!!

Well I purchased my first Jeep Wrangler!

I come from a background of drag racing and have never owned and off road capable vehicle before.

Here is the proof: YouTube - GTO From Stock To Modded!! Oh Yeah Racing.

[youtube]q-76pkOUcpM[/youtube]

Here is my jeep when I first purchased it.

I was tired of looking like a mail carrier...so I purchased 15x8" Cragar Soft 8's w/ 32X11.5 Wild Country XTX Tires. Unfortunately, I do not have any driveway pics to show just the wheels and tires. Only wheeling pics...LOL I use my jeep!

By the way, this is at a State Forest.....so not ilegal. LOL

And for the aftermath of a nice day of wheeling!

After going on another little wheeling trip to nice little climbing spot, I bottomed out coming over the crest of the climb. As a result, I decided to purchase a Rough Country 2.5" Series II BB Lift Kit. It was fairly simple to install with a friend on this site with our basic tools. The advanced Auto spring compressor made the install even easier and I recommend it to anyone.

After lift:

Haven't been able to go wheeling post lift due to the holiday's but I hope to have some pics soon. I am looking forward to doing more installations and slowly building my JK.

2010 Wrangler Sport M6 16" MB72 wheels, 35" Duratrac tires, 2.5" Rough Country Lift Kit, Hella Black Magic Driving Lights mounted on Rugged Ridge Windshield Mounts, 4.56 gears, F/R Trutracs, Sleeves and gussets, and more.......
Clermont Jeep Club
ucfgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice to see that you are using that jeep for its intended purpose! What are your plans for it?
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Nice to see that you are using that jeep for its intended purpose! What are your plans for it?
The same basic idea that I had with my GTO. A badazz street vehicle. I want to be able to drive it to the wheeling spot, go over and through everything everyone else does, then drive her home.

As for the future mods; rock rails are next simply because the wife has a hard time getting into the Jeep...., windshield driving lights, under body armor, lockers with 4.10 gears, I would like to get 33" tires when these wear out, and a modular front bumper. As for anything else, I am not sure at the moment but I will figure it out as I go.
2010 Wrangler Sport M6 16" MB72 wheels, 35" Duratrac tires, 2.5" Rough Country Lift Kit, Hella Black Magic Driving Lights mounted on Rugged Ridge Windshield Mounts, 4.56 gears, F/R Trutracs, Sleeves and gussets, and more.......
Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Amills
2000 TJ Wrangler 

this will be an interesting build, looks good so far. Good Luck!
Amills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Mlehnert85
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeh I'll agree it doesn't look too bad...for a JK! Haha just kidding I'm just the angry child. I should start a build thread and then we can see who has the slowest build in history....I love being a poor Jeep owner
'06 TJ 42RLE, 3" Currie Front Springs, 2.25" Rear Budget Boost, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, 32x11.5 Wild Country XTX Sport, Besttop Safari Top, Besttop Tonneau Cover, Hella 500 Driving Lights, Herculiner Interior, MetalCloak Front Bumper........Blue Jeep Member #365
Mlehnert85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
warbuk
1995 ZJ 

looking good

poor jeep owners FTW!
warbuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

First white knuckle ride. Trust me the hill was pretty steep. And a long way down. LOL My back wheel was a good couple o feet off of the ground. Jeep was doing some nice teetering back and forth. After all said was done, a lot of fun!

Dfloyd with the cig hanging out! LOL

This kind of shows how steep the hill was.

After the wheeling trip, I don't really know what I need next. I am open to suggestions.
Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have been busy but I have added since my last post: Hella Black Magic Driving Lights mounted on the windshield using Rugged Ridge mounts, Rough Country 2.5" lift coil springs and Skyjacker shocks.

Note: to anyone planning on running Skyjacker shocks please order shocks based off of extended and collapsed legnths. Not by what the company deems a 2-3" lift shock. I found out the hard way. The first set of shocks I ordered for 2-3.5" lift JK's. When I mounted them to my Jeep, the front shock only extended past the lower mounting location by about 1".......=not good. I called the company and they advised the shock was the correct part number. I then turned around and ordered the 6" lift shock which has an expanded length of 26.75" and collapsed 15.5". Come to find out the so called 2-3.5" lift shock has a expanded length of 22.xx" and collapsed length of 13.xx".

All in all, basically my suspension now does this!

The other side on the same obstacle.

Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

It has been a while since I have last posted on this site.

Since, I have added a K&N Air Filter, Superchips Programmer, AFE High Tuck Exhaust, stock Bumper Chop, Angry Eyes, and some other little interior mods.

Playing at Hardrock

Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

As the build continues it was time for some larger tires.

I attempted to go with 15" MB72 wheels and Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires but received a call from the shop advising it would take many months before I received the order. The shop advised me it was there fault and they would make it right. As a result, they gave me a great deal on 35" Duratrac tires and 16" MB72 Matte Black wheels.

The following week, Dfloyd and I went to cutting my fenders. I want to be able to flex out the axles so this was a must. The end result, 35s and a 2.5" lift. I love the look. After the picture was taken, I spray bed lined the rear wheel well area for added strength against rock chips etc.

Next on the build sheet will be 4.56 gears and a locker.
Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Went to test clearance of the rear tires. Next I will be disconnecting the front sway bar to see if I will need some more bumpstop.

Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks great! Whats your opinion on 32's vs 35's for driviablity. Do you feel it is required for the regear, you said you wanted 4.56, but i would think 4lo would give it enough tq? Does it wander on the highway and downshift a lot? What did you end up using to cut your fenders with? -Jon

OLD YJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
Yonco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonco View Post
Looks great! Whats your opinion on 32's vs 35's for driviablity. Do you feel it is required for the regear, you said you wanted 4.56, but i would think 4lo would give it enough tq? Does it wander on the highway and downshift a lot? What did you end up using to cut your fenders with? -Jon
Well as I have 3.21 gears it def. has power loss but I can live with it. 4lo works great off road but I still want to be able to crawl slower. To be honest, you don't have much of 4HI as it is too fast. This is why I want to switch out gears.

I would say, if you have a 6sp and 3.73s, then 33s would not require a gear change. Anything bigger and you would want to do so. Doesn't wander that bad. It will tend to follow the road b/c of the tire width but nothing you can't handle.

Cut the fenders with a dremel, tape to mark everything off with, sawsaz for some of the skeleton supporting the fenders, sand paper, a drill for the rivets, and a lot of patience.
Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Again, it has been a while since I have updated my build.

Since the last photos my new mods include the following: detriot trutracs front and rear, 4.56 ring and pinions, Tereflex D30 axle sleeves, Evo C-gussets, Cobra 75 CB, Firestick CB antenna, Cooltech LLC mount for antenna and CB, River Raider spare tire delete cover, and I have had a spider web shade trailmesh cover for some time now. Here are some photos.

By the way, all of the installations have been done by me except for the gears, sleeves, gussets, and trutracs.....when the shop had my Jeep, I was a nervous wreck LOL....I like to have work on my Jeep done right! I must say, the install shop did a fantastic job!

Here are some photos:

Hardrock Ocala

Testing out flex with the swaybar disco'd: very slight rubbing but nothing that will damage anything. I need to order some longer bumpstops one of these days.

Back in the swamp.

And with more mods, I think I become more invincible. Until you meet a mud hole that has two very deep ruts that cause you to sit on your axles with tires spinning freely like paddle wheels and everyone else enjoying the moment..LOL Not to mention friends racing to be the one to pull me out...so they can say they without me you'd be ****** haha!

Cooltech LLC license plate mount. Overall, it was very easy to install. Just a little bit of modifying the license plate bracket and done. I like the factory look as the only thing visible is the antenna.

Here is the Cooltech LLC CB mount. It bolts to a screw that holds the radio onto the dash. Again, I liked the factory appearance. The only wire visible is the one attached to the CB. A very clean install. Oh and yes, those are fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror.

This is a picture of the following day from wheelin in Ocala National Forest. Jeep was pretty much covered with orange mud. A great trip overall.
Just got done waxing and putting back to black on the fenders.

On our last ride to the Ocala National Forest, to our luck there were two fighter jets practicing bombing runs on the range. We opened the top and watched as they flew right over us practiced doing what ever they were doing and throttled back up doing as my wife called "tricks" and back to do it again. It was an awesome sight and sound! This photo was hard to get as they were obviously traveling very fast. And by the time you heard them, they were already past you.

And because of the washing I always do to my Jeep when we get done wheelin, the Clermont Jeep Club loves to make fun of me LOL.
-Alex
Clermont Jeep Club
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I got side tracked after visiting a junk yard the other day. Found an old DJ (Postal Jeep) from probably 198X. Maybe someone could chime in with a better guess. The grill was very rusted but straight. I thought it would be a cool (man Cave) item. So after myself and my uncle pulled it 20 bucks later it was at the house. I spent a good amount of time sanding it all down and re-painting it. Turned out pretty cool. So who else has an old original Jeep grill hanging in there garage?

Before:

After:

I sanded and sprayed the backside too but don't have a photo. By the way, the grill was not hacked up or modded in anyway. I would not have changed it in case this was a piece another would need for a restore down the road.

On the wall:

I might move it later to a higher spot in the back of the garage. But this works for now.
Clermont Jeep Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.