2009 Rubicon Unlimited build-up, 41" tires ~ 9.5" lift - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2009 Rubicon Unlimited build-up, 41" tires ~ 9.5" lift

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #46
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Bennettj13 is on 35's......not 41's. You're comparing apples to oranges. Yes, the JK 44's are stronger than TJ 44's but that is a totally moot point on anything larger than 37" tires. IMO, that thing looks like a big show truck. Way too much height, way too underbuilt. To each his own.
x2 on that one. 9.5" isnt practical but like you said each to his own

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #47
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Bennettj13 is on 35's......not 41's. You're comparing apples to oranges. Yes, the JK 44's are stronger than TJ 44's but that is a totally moot point on anything larger than 37" tires. IMO, that thing looks like a big show truck. Way too much height, way too underbuilt. To each his own.
That thing could definitely be abused. Look at the cover Jeep on JP Magazine from May 2010. Joe's Daily Driver sported the stock rubicon dana 44s with superior shafts, 538 R&P, 40" MTRs, etc and it is getting absolutely thrashed on the first annual North American JK Experience. It is possible...... Jeeps friggin rule!
Penn State University --- Class of '96
mazegang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #48
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The jk axles are stronger yes, but they are not 60's. Close, but not quite. The op knows this and has said he's going to buy 60's. Being that I run jk axles in my tj, I will say that they are pretty badass for a 44. However, I strongly doubt I'll ever run bigger than a 37 on them. I just don't think they'd hold up to my wheeling style.

As for whoever it is running 40's on a stock rubi axle, i hope they can fix te inner c bending up, and with all that leverage... they can kiss the ball joints goodbye, ujoints (either axle shaft, or drive shaft) probably won't make it through the first trip, and the r&p won't be far behind if one of those shafts does hold up long enough to be "absolutely thrashed". This I will promise you. Now, with some upgrades, perhaps... But all you are doing is playing hot potato with the weak link. Where do you stop it? Shafts are almost a must, but what then?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #49
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
The jk axles are stronger yes, but they are not 60's. Close, but not quite. The op knows this and has said he's going to buy 60's. Being that I run jk axles in my tj, I will say that they are pretty badass for a 44. However, I strongly doubt I'll ever run bigger than a 37 on them. I just don't think they'd hold up to my wheeling style.
I think that is apparent in in this photo. Haha

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #50
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post

As for whoever it is running 40's on a stock rubi axle, i hope they can fix te inner c bending up, and with all that leverage... they can kiss the ball joints goodbye, ujoints (either axle shaft, or drive shaft) probably won't make it through the first trip, and the r&p won't be far behind if one of those shafts does hold up long enough to be "absolutely thrashed". This I will promise you. Now, with some upgrades, perhaps... But all you are doing is playing hot potato with the weak link. Where do you stop it? Shafts are almost a must, but what then?
Then its time for Arvin-Meritor 3-ton axles and 54s!!! However some TTC competitors feel that a trussed 14 bolt with chromoly axles can spin 54s also. It is all relative to driving style and how heavy the right foot is....along with how you get the power to the ground.
Penn State University --- Class of '96
mazegang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #51
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazegang View Post
Then its time for Arvin-Meritor 3-ton axles and 54s!!! However some TTC competitors feel that a trussed 14 bolt with chromoly axles can spin 54s also. It is all relative to driving style and how heavy the right foot is....along with how you get the power to the ground.
Mud is much much different than rocks. If I were only doing mud, I'd beef up the axles the same and run 40's, no problem.

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #52
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
I think that is apparent in in this photo. Haha

You weren't there to catch me doing the wheelies on Red Trail were you? lol

I'd hit it with my back wheels about 4 feet from the wall, the front of the Jeep would come up, all I'd see was sky, and then I'd slam into the wall and almost get over it. The guys said it looked like I was sitting on my tailgate. lol Eventually I got it though.

Unread 10-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #53
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy has no issues with his JK 44s. He wheels the hell out of his rig.

Build thread here: Comp Cutting and Stretching a 2-Door - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners
jon-jk.jpg   jon-jk-2.jpg   jon-jk-3.jpg   jon-jk-4.jpg   jon-jk-7.jpg  

Unread 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #54
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ hijack much? Bad *** JK to the OP, despite me not being a fan of JKs, there are a handful of exceptions, this being one of them.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #55
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta love crap work network = double post <----
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #56
jeepmtnbiker
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sweet jeep, how is the braking on a JK I didnt see that on your list of upgrades, and I know our TJ brakes suck with much over stock size tires.

Id hold off on the 60's, until you at least have a failure. This would be a great way to feel out the strength of a JK44.
jeepmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #57
ChimChim
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome build..Thanks for the pics...Kudos on all the hard work!

PS -- can we get an interior shot or three? I'm curios on the Katskinz on the seats and how they look

thx!
AEV JK231R
ChimChim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #58
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice *** Jeep! Great build!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-tj-build-1127470/[/url]
RedTj01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #59
P0paWheelie

Nice jeep man, looks like you have a lot of fun putting $$ into it making it your own.
P0paWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #60
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

not a fan. I think the lift is too tall, the tires are too big for the stock axles, the rims are too pretty to wheel, and frankly, it looks like A$$.

But I'm glad you like it - rock on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.