2006 TJ Rubi Build from bone stock - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2006 TJ Rubi Build from bone stock

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #61
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A couple things:

1) What are you planning on doing about your track bar/drag link relationship? I wouldn't be surprised if your rig steers like crap.

2) What do you mean your sway bar link is hitting the high steer arm? When disconnected? If not, you shouldn't be on the ramp connected anyway.

Things look OK but you're going to have some bugs to work out. You doing the work?

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #62
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
A couple things:

1) What are you planning on doing about your track bar/drag link relationship? I wouldn't be surprised if your rig steers like crap.

2) What do you mean your sway bar link is hitting the high steer arm? When disconnected? If not, you shouldn't be on the ramp connected anyway.

Things look OK but you're going to have some bugs to work out. You doing the work?
1. Don't know yet...have not driven it. The shocks from Bilstien are delayed and it is killing me. The mechanic doing my build has driven it and said it feels very close to stock in every aspect and drives very nice. I'll have to see what that means when I drive it. Hope to have it back in my hands in a week or two.

Can you define "steers like crap" ? I am a noob so I apreciate all help and advice. What should I be looking for and feeling with regards to steering and in what situations (i.e. slow or high speed, on-road or off-road).

2. Yes, when disconnected on the ramp the upper high steer arm (see pics) on passenger side was contacting the the lower sway bar disco mount. The only possible fix was to install a Currie AntiRock type disco in order to move the disco forward for more clearance. This required cutting the lower disco mount off and fabbing/welding a new disco mount forward.

See the pic of the Rock Lock on the passenger side...look at the high steer arm near the passenger side. You can see an abrasion where the Rubi Express disco mount was hitting the arm on the articulation ramp. Any of the antirock type devices solves that problem since they move the discos forward a bit. If I did not have the high steer kit, this would have not been an issue at all.

Lastly, no I am not doing the work. I do not have the skills needed for all this work.. Worse yet, I do not have the time. My job requires ton's of overtime, so I have more money than free time. I am happy with the shop this far. They have been very honest and presented many possible options along the way, but never have pressured me one way or the other during the build.

Last edited by CRWDDYZ; 01-22-2010 at 11:09 AM..
CRWDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #63
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

what he means is that the drag link and the track bar need to be as close to perfectly parallel as possible - as it sits right now your track bar i slower in angle than your drag link. this leads to shaking, light steering, deathwobble and severe bumpsteer.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #64
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice buiild Crwddyz!
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #65
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
what he means is that the drag link and the track bar need to be as close to perfectly parallel as possible - as it sits right now your track bar i slower in angle than your drag link. this leads to shaking, light steering, deathwobble and severe bumpsteer.
OK...I see what you are saying, but don't the bends on each end of the trackbar correct that...even though the straight part of the track bar is at a different angle than the drag link ? I mean, the track bar that came with the Rubi Express Lift is designed for the amount of lift I have...is it not.

If I am wrong, likely I am since I am a noob, what are my options to improve/correct the issue ?

Also...can someone please explain what bumpsteer actually is ? How do I tell if I have it ?

Thanks
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #66
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWDDYZ View Post
OK...I see what you are saying, but don't the bends on each end of the trackbar correct that...even though the straight part of the track bar is at a different angle than the drag link ? I mean, the track bar that came with the Rubi Express Lift is designed for the amount of lift I have...is it not.

If I am wrong, likely I am since I am a noob, what are my options to improve/correct the issue ?

Also...can someone please explain what bumpsteer actually is ? How do I tell if I have it ?

Thanks
The mounting points need to be parallel with each other. Both bars could be S shaped for all it matters as long as the mounting points are parallel with each other. Ideally, you want the mounting points to be in the same plane, parallel with each other, and the same length. You will not be able to get a factory-type setup with these characteristics. It will take some fab work and a skilled person. Look at what happens when your axle moves through its cycle. It doesn't droop straight down. It droops down and to the drivers side due to the track bar. Ideally, the drag link needs to travel through that same arc or binding will occur. The differences in arcs traveled causes bump steer.....AKA, when you hit a bump, the arc that your axle travels through is different than the arc that your drag link travels through, causing your steering wheel to violently turn. This is due to the fact that the drag link is connected to the pitman arm, which is connected to the steering shaft. In a bumpsteer situation, your steering accounts for the difference in arcs, if that makes sense. I know you're not doing your own work but if you look at the steering, you can understand this.

And on an unrelated note--you're calling your sway bar links 'discos.' They are sway bar links. The sway bar runs across the front of the jeep and connects to the links on both sides.

And I don't mean to sound like a ****, but have you even wheeled this jeep? You're spending a boat load of money on parts and I have yet to see any mention of using the jeep.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #67
iwishihadajeep

Are you on PbN?
iwishihadajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #68
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishihadajeep View Post
Are you on PbN?

What is PbN ?
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #69
BrandNew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

any more pics?
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #70
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And I don't mean to sound like a ****, but have you even wheeled this jeep? You're spending a boat load of money on parts and I have yet to see any mention of using the jeep.
....yes I have...but it was all in stock form so obviously I could not do too much...at least not what I want to do. The parts will allow me to do what I want. I just joined a Jeep offroad club where all the members are serious rockcrawlers. I will be going out with them to learn the ropes and come this May we have a trip planned for the Rubicon Trail in Nor Cal....so yes this Jeep will see serious offroading. So....you will see many references in the future....
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #71
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew View Post
any more pics?
Not yet, but very soon....once the New Years holiday is over I hope to have my shocks and be out wheeling. I'll post plenty more pics then...
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #72
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A couple things:

OK...finally drove it the other day...just in the parking lot...but so far so good. Steering seems fine lock-to-lock in both directions...very smooth and no more effort than when it was stock. More update to follow once all the work is done. It is getting very close now.

The Bilstien 5150's were on backorder forever and were just installe two days ago. I have been prepping and painting my TNT Tube Fenders, Tube Sliders and Extended Corners. Corners and sliders done and should have installed by tomorrow. I put the first coat of black on the front fenders today, hopefully I'll get two coats on tomorrow and install them Thursday or Friday. If all goes well it will be wheeling this weekend.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #73
Rocker555
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I want to see what this thing will do
Rocker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #74
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think you should just donate it to me and start over and build another.
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #75
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK....finally more pics...had my camera set to low quality so sorry for the poor pics. I will get some good ones once she is complete.

Primer on the TNT fenders, extended corners and sliders

Rear Extended TNT Corners installed...note trimming off body required to enlarge wheel opening for the extended corners. Trimming started at top of wheel well and went rearward. About 3" trimmed out at the lower rear of the wheel well.....LED Tails are very bright. Anyone know where the stock flasher relay is located on a 2006 ? I have the LED flasher, but can't locate the stock one...got the "fast flash" going on now.

Above and below is the Evap cannister in the rear pass side wheel well. A plate will be fabbed to cover/protect the Evap.

Front fender tear down begins....

Bilstien 5150's Installed....

I should have the it all done now by around January 25, 2010....finally. It has been a long 2 months waiting for stage 1 of this build to get done.

Last edited by CRWDDYZ; 01-22-2010 at 11:35 AM..
CRWDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.