2006 TJ Rubi Build from bone stock - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2006 TJ Rubi Build from bone stock

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
Steering and brakes for sure for those new 37"s
I have changed the tire order to 37's and re-gearing at the same time to 5.13 (thanks Dmcastino and Impede)....so yes....brakes and steering good call.

What should I be looking at for brakes and steering ? I kinda thinking about just going right to D60's with 5.13's installed.

Thanks for the ongoing help.

Unread 11-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with going to Dana 60s and 37s is that while your axles will be just about bulletproof with those tires, you will loose ground clearance with the big differentials. Dana 60s would be totally awesome, and would be a good idea since 37"s are kind of rough on your Rubi axles, but you would be losing some ground clearance. On an up note, you could help pay for those 60s by selling your rubi axles, they should easily sell for more than 2k total.
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

With Dana 60's and that lift, plus the hyline (I'm assuming you are hylining the front AND the rear) you could squeeze 40" tires no problem if I'm not mistaken. Its all about where you want this build to go and what kind of wheeling you do.
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With Dana 60's and that lift, plus the hyline (I'm assuming you are hylining the front AND the rear) you could squeeze 40" tires no problem if I'm not mistaken. Its all about where you want this build to go and what kind of wheeling you do.

Good ideas all ! Thanks. For now I will go with 37's and re-gear to 5.13.

May or may not do the highlines, calling TNT tomorrow to make final decision.
Doing the "extended" rear corners, not the Comp Cut, for sure on that.

If I go to D60's it will be a couple years at least. (Update: D60's now planned for 6 months out)

You said the 37's will be rough on my Rubi axles.....how so ? Would it help to upgrade the shafts in a few months ? Worth doing ?

Good call on selling the D44's...that would help offset some of the upgrade costs.

Last edited by CRWDDYZ; 11-12-2009 at 10:39 PM..
CRWDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #20
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrade your shafts for now to something stronger...

You sure are dumping a lot of money into this thing at once.....i like

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWDDYZ View Post
Good ideas all ! Thanks. For now I will go with 37's and re-gear to 5.13.

May or may not do the highlines, calling TNT tomorrow to make final decision.
Doing the "extended" rear corners, not the Comp Cut, for sure on that.

If I go to D60's it will be a couple years at least.

You said the 37's will be rough on my Rubi axles.....how so ? Would it help to upgrade the shafts in a few months ? Worth doing ?

Good call on selling the D44's...that would help offset some of the upgrade costs.
There is a lot of debate about how well the TJ Rubicon Dana 44s hold up to 37" tires. I don't have any first hand info for you as neither I nor anyone in my club runs this combo, but I will say you definitely want to upgrade axleshafts and might think about doing some CTM u joints. You might want to PM someone who actually runs this combo and see what they have done to make it work, I believe "nriver" runs this combo, you might see what he has to say.
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #22
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pm spyder6 as well...he has 37s on his rubi 44s and already has wheeled them

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Upgrade your shafts for now to something stronger...

You sure are dumping a lot of money into this thing at once.....i like

Yup...made myself the promise that I'd pay it off in 3 years and THEN put that payent money to good use. I am at about $ 9,500 right now and will likely be a little over 10k when all the parts get installed and other things are discovered as "required" during the build.

Looks like I may be adding axle shafts now too
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #24
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a lot of debate about how well the TJ Rubicon Dana 44s hold up to 37" tires. I don't have any first hand info for you as neither I nor anyone in my club runs this combo, but I will say you definitely want to upgrade axleshafts and might think about doing some CTM u joints. You might want to PM someone who actually runs this combo and see what they have done to make it work, I believe "nriver" runs this combo, you might see what he has to say.
Thanks for the info...I'll check it out....I will look at the CTM U-joints too.

I wonder if axles trusses are in order ??
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool...thanks...PM sent
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #26
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWDDYZ View Post
I wonder if axles trusses are in order ??
I mean they are never a bad thing
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #27
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks....I ordered chromoly axles front and rear today and CMT -joints !
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #28
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks...we exchanged a few PM's....I love his rig ! He also said definately upgrade the rear axle shafts now. So just went ahead and ordered front and rears and the CMT U-joints.

See my opening post in this thread for all updates.....the jeep should be built in about 3 - 4 weeks time. Pics will be posted.

Thanks to all for the input.
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #29
CRWDDYZ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally...some real progress made...here are a few pics

Some parts....yet to go in...

RE 4.5" Extreme LA kit progress...frame and axles housings sprayed black...

The shocks in the pics are temporary....Bilstein 5150's have not arrived yet.

Knuckle for Teraflex HD High Steer kit...yet to install...

Some pics of the sweet 5.13's...front

Rear 5.13's installed and stock 4.10 ring gear in hand for comparison.....

Chromoly D44 axles shafts....

37" x 12.5 x 15 Super Swamper SSR's....not mounted yet....HUGE

I should have more pics and more progress on Friday or Saturday.....hopefully it will be sitting on 37's by then....the hold up will be the Bilstein shocks possibly. My TNT tube fenders, stretched corners and sliders should be here within the next 7 days. Got to get them powder coated black and installed.

Then I will be done for now.....next summer hope to have Vanco Big Brake kit and Rubicrawler installed.....between now an then I'll get the smaller miscellaneous stuff done.

Thanks for all the help and advice on this build so far. Please keep the suggestions coming. I have thick skin so feel free....
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #30
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

yep you bought the lift i want lol and 5.13's look sweet too, only thing is...i like the good year mt/r's or the bf km2's though in a 37", can't wait till i build mine like yours

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.