2006 Rubicon First Jeep - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2006 Rubicon First Jeep

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #61
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Forum and Jeep life! I can tell you're excited. My first advice for you is take a breath and chill for a second. There's SO much to learn and do with Jeeps that it's like taking a drink from a fire hose when you start. Here's what I recommend. Get a set of used 33s in the classifieds on the forum and go out and wheel it about 5 times. Learn how to drive it while you save money to build it.

boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #62
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Welcome to the Forum and Jeep life! I can tell you're excited. My first advice for you is take a breath and chill for a second. There's SO much to learn and do with Jeeps that it's like taking a drink from a fire hose when you start. Here's what I recommend. Get a set of used 33s in the classifieds on the forum and go out and wheel it about 5 times. Learn how to drive it while you save money to build it.
That's pretty good advice.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #63
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Haha thanks Kevin and boilerup. Definitely good advice. I'm just obviously so eager to jump into this. Will look for a used set of 33's and upgrade armor. Can't wait to wheel with you guys to get my priorities and needs first and wants later. The only reason I wanted the body lift and MML was for 35's and a tummy tuck. I might just build for 33's. Wheel it. Break it. Upgrade it. I'm not having any vibes with the current lift from the PO. So I have that going for me. I got a set of smittybilt xrc rocker guards. I don't like the grayish color and texture of the powdercoat so I believe I'm going to rattle can them with some bed liner ( after a good long talk with Kevin ). Thank you all for the help. I really just need to get out an wheel it.
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #64
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. After talking it over with my dad and taking another look at the rocker guards. I'm just going to install as is. They do look good. Also. I believe we have 1 or 2 sets of 33's from old trucks. I'll see if those will work with my stock rims. If so. Then I might get some wheel spacers.
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #65
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful with wheel spacers. You probably wont need them with 33s. You may rub your control arms a bit when turned to full lock, but you can fix most of that with washers on your steering stops (thats what I did). It reduces your turning radius, but come on, its a TJ, it will still do a U turn within the space of a two lane street.

Not saying that wheel spacers are bad. Just be careful. They do add stress, but people use them all the time. Your rig appears to already be set for 33's, so if you have them, go for it.

As for the 35s, some of the items I was talking about last night is like going to the Vanco big brake kit like another poster said. Lots of people dont do that, and they do fine, until they really need to stop from high speed. 35s and larger give you a lot of rolling momentum. So much so that it can be difficult for our stock brakes to slow us down. Luckily, with a Rubi, you already have disc brakes in the rear. The Vanco big brake kit is pricey (I think its like $800) but it gives you upgraded and larger rotors, better brake pads, and new calipers with double pistons rather than one piston. I'm not going to harp on it, because it is a major expense and its is important to some and not to others. I know how I drive, and around here I have jack on the brakes pretty hard from time to time. I just dont want to have that "OH CRAP" moment one day if I can help it.

One last word on the 33s vs 35s this early on. A Rubi can do quite a lot on 3+ inches of lift with 33s and skids. Check out the quote from Krash in my sig block. I was on 31s at the time and the only armor I had was the stock TC skid and my rock sliders.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #66
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
With a rubicon tcase you cannot fit a ucf ultra high clearance skid without a minimum 1" BL and lopro mount. It simply is to big and will not fit. If you want to make it easier on you get the extra clearance skid that requires 1" bl only. Still provides lots of clearance compared to stock.

EDIT* And like jeffro said you will need adjustable control arms to set your pinion angle if you do a tuck
I have the UCF extra clearance skid with the lowpro and no BL. Works fine. You will pick up more vibration and noise, but it will work.

Unread 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #67
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I know I change my mind like a girl trying on clothes. But I thought about everything last night. Looked at the smittybilt rocker guards. And I have updated my plan as money allows.
1. Return smittybilt rockers and get A to Z or Rokmen rocker guards.
2. Put on 33's on current wheels and check clearance and rubbing.
3. UCF extra clearance skid with lo pro mount.
4. Armor all I can and change out the steering.

Feel like I should have waited to create a build thread but I love all the help and experience you all are sharing. Rampage soft top is still back ordered. I'm gonna call again about that tonight to see if anythings changed.
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #68
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter7158 View Post
Ok I know I change my mind like a girl trying on clothes. But I thought about everything last night. Looked at the smittybilt rocker guards. And I have updated my plan as money allows.
1. Return smittybilt rockers and get A to Z or Rokmen rocker guards.
2. Put on 33's on current wheels and check clearance and rubbing.
3. UCF extra clearance skid with lo pro mount.
4. Armor all I can and change out the steering.

Feel like I should have waited to create a build thread but I love all the help and experience you all are sharing. Rampage soft top is still back ordered. I'm gonna call again about that tonight to see if anythings changed.
Not a bad start. Try amazon for your rampage top, I had received mine in like 3 days.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #69
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the forum x2.

i'm from St. Mary's just over the solomons bridge. check out the local WHEELING club, there are alot of web wheelers out there, so be mindful of people who give you advice without any first hand knowledge. seems like you have a good group of guys commenting already, just beware. http://www.hardrockcrawlers.org/ is the local group. a bunch of really great guys and gals.

one thing to think about... your engine skid will be sitting lower than your UCF skid in the front (sort of angled downward in the front). in order to gain clearance you will need to adjust the front braces accordingly to gain the most ground clearance. or you should chop it off and give it to me

33's and lockers will get you around Rausch creek just fine. 35's even better. I'm open/open on 33" MTR's and can handle a good amount of RC.

the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade is a cheaper alternative to the Currie or Savvy set up, but is not invincible. I bent one (ZJ) out at Gore VA.

its always nice to know local jeepers.
Steve

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #70
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the record, I am not telling you to NOT do the BL and MML. Just saying that it isnt a must have to go to 35s. What it will do for you is allow you to go to an even shallower TC skid. Compare a side pic of mine to a side pic of AngryTJs and you will see that he has more clearance.

And Jeepinhokie is right about the steering upgrades being bendable. Ask me how I know THAT. hehehe The exception there is the much more expensive heat treated parts from Mr Blaine (Savvy) that are intended to bend but snap back into shape. Not sure if Jeepinhokie is saying he bent one of those and it didnt spring back, but I seem to remember hearing stories of such on JF.

Unread 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #71
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
Not sure if Jeepinhokie is saying he bent one of those and it didnt spring back, but I seem to remember hearing stories of such on JF.
sorry for the confusion. that was worded a bit odd. but i bent a ZJ tie rod.

it got me home just fine, and the repair was $50 or so from a local parts store. for some reason they wouldnt warranty the lifetime warranty from MOOG

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #72
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Haha thanks again guys. Steering is definitely a high priority on my list. My long long list. Lol. Doing some small things here and there. Tinted the door windows today, looks awesome, ill get pics tomorrow. Ordered the gas fill hose so I dont keep leaving a pile of fuel at the pump and down the side of my jeep. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...w-fix-1335243/ Already replaced the blower motor resistor so I can now have full use of all the fan settings for my AC and Heat. Was about to go and cancel my soft top order and order through amazon like you suggested. Called 4wheelparts and they said it had just shipped from CA so it should be here next week. Shipped my smittybilt rocker guards back to them. Im going to go with A to Z or Rokmen or Currie Rock Ribz. I like the look of all of them. Will just be looking into the price. Also planning on bed lining the tub. What are your all opinions on that? what brand of coating? Duplicolor bed liner? Herculiner? Monstaliner?
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #73
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner.....
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #74
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's my A to Zs with tube

image-275573046.jpg
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #75
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go with A to Z or Rokmen, currie rock ribz dont go all the way up to the door opening
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.