2006 Rubicon First Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2006 Rubicon First Jeep

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #46
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks. Yeah money is always tight naturally. What are your thoughts about the LoPro? needed? or unnecessary? 1" BL and 1" MML enough room for the UCF Ultra High Clearance Skid?

Unread 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #47
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You keep talking about getting the parts to make 35's fit, and always mention the tummy tuck. You do know you don't need a tummy tuck to make 35's work, don't you? As mentioned before a TT will require a new drive shaft, or two and adjustable control arms. You may be able to get on 35's with the lift you have and adding a body lift.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #48
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red93yj View Post
line up a 35 with one of your tires.see if it clears pretty good and go from there. i have a yj that has a 3 bl on it ant only rubbed sometimes with 33s. if anything try a 1inch body lift,with 35s
Whatever you do please dont run a 3in bl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Looks good. But don't even worry about the steering until you start getting into rocks. It will give you $500 to use elsewhere on your build.

You will know when you need a beefier steering setup. Until then stock will be fine.
I respectfully disagree. If you plan to come to Rausch with us it is like 85% rocks so I highly recommend a steering upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter7158 View Post
Ok, thanks. Yeah money is always tight naturally. What are your thoughts about the LoPro? needed? or unnecessary? 1" BL and 1" MML enough room for the UCF Ultra High Clearance Skid?
With a rubicon tcase you cannot fit a ucf ultra high clearance skid without a minimum 1" BL and lopro mount. It simply is to big and will not fit. If you want to make it easier on you get the extra clearance skid that requires 1" bl only. Still provides lots of clearance compared to stock.

EDIT* And like jeffro said you will need adjustable control arms to set your pinion angle if you do a tuck
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #49
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ

I respectfully disagree. If you plan to come to Rausch with us it is like 85% rocks so I highly recommend a steering upgrade.
Fair enough, Colorado is 100% rocks and I won't upgrade steering until I bend it. But it is a great upgrade.

And it looks like you can almost fit 35's, if not a 1" BL should clear them and you can setup bump-stops accordingly.
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #50
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Fair enough, Colorado is 100% rocks
very true, I just think its a great upgrade especially if upgrading to 35in tires
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alright just got underneath the jeep in my driveway to try to decode the current lift. I have stock front UCAs, new lowers, adj. rear uppers, and new rear lowers. I found a chart on here to see how much lift you have by measuring coils. I believe it is a 3" but the 31" tires make it look like more. I have so much room. Thanks angrytj about the extra clearance. I'll change my plans accordingly. I guess I'm asking. How should I spend my money to best outfit my jeep. Buy a whole different lift to replace the worn out lift? Piece it out?
image-485107021.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #52
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What makes you think the current lift is worn out?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #53
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alot of squaek coming from the rear. probably shocks. Just so overwhelmed with what route I should take. If it is a 3" suspension lift. Should I go 1" BL, 1" MML , Driveshaft, TT while im at it and throw on 35's? I want to wheel it as it sits now. So angryTJ and KevKaos can help me diagnose my current lift. See what I want to upgrade and what I can wait on. and just get alot of opinions in person. AngryTJ and my jeep are basically twins. And I want to put on 35's like him. So I think wheeling with him will help me make up my mind...
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #54
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You just need to determine what order you want to do upgrades and how your budget will allow it. You have a lift so if you want get some tires and just come wheelin before spending any money.
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #55
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ
You just need to determine what order you want to do upgrades and how your budget will allow it. You have a lift so if you want get some tires and just come wheelin before spending any money.
Yep. Buy your 35's, adjust from there.

Unread 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06

Yep. Buy your 35's, adjust from there.
Exactly.
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #57
Hunter7158
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. Here is what I'm working with suspension wise and armor wise. PO put on engine skid. Warn differential skids. Looks to be a 3" or 4" suspension lift. And a pro comp steering stabilizer.
image-1469639706.jpg   image-3154054468.jpg   image-667729702.jpg   image-2507019055.jpg   image-2934580545.jpg  

image-3370633746.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #58
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok hunter, where to start? We chatted in text already but lets recap based on what we see here. Like I said earlier, armor up. That the best advice I ever got, but it took awhile for it to set in with me. The good news is that you already have an engine skid, and it is tied into your belly skid. Man, I forgot how far down those stock skids hang. The best news is that since your skids are tied together like that, you won't have the same shovel effect as if they were not tied together. You will want a gas tank skid, but who am I to talk, as I don't have one yet. If you are thinking of doing a BL at some point, you might want to hold off on the gas tank skid in hopes that you may be able to raise it up a bit more. AngryTJ has a nice tank skid you should check out. I noticed that you don't have a steering box skid, so that's a cheap upgrade you can do now. If it were me, and you really think you are going to be into wheeling (of course you will) you should look at getting a rear bumper with a recovery point. If you are unsure exactly what you want to do for bumpers long term, I would look online (used or new cheap) for a basic bumper with either D rings or a trailer hitch receiver. I have a Warn bumper that has a hitch receiver. Then I bought a Harbor Freight recovery point that slots into the receiver. Works great. BTW, I mention the recovery point as a priority because I believe that all vehicles being used at Rausch are supposed to have recovery points.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #59
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you actually have 3-4 inches of lift, there is a good chance that the previous owner already put in a double Cardan driveshaft. If not, one is likely needed. Do a search door double Cardan driveshaft to see one, but the quick way to tell is if you have two universal joints, you DON'T have a double Cardan, but if there are three univsal joints, you DO. It will make sense once you look at one. I have what I think are some good pics from when I did mine on my build thread. The thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to be doing a MML, a BL, and a really shallow TT, all those things can make a difference in your driveline angles. It looks like you have aftermarket rear control arms, so you should be able to adjust your pinion angle.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #60
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lu raised a good point on the steering. I would look into upgrading your steering to either the way cheaper ZJ setup, or the more expensive Currie steering setup. You could go for the even more expensive Ultimate steering setup. We can talk about the pros and cons of each, but if you are going to play in the rocks (which is most of what we do here on the east coast) you will probably want upgraded steering sooner rather than later. Ask me how I know. And now that I think about it, there are a coup,e other things you can do in regards to steering.

Also in the category of ask me how I know, upgraded axles shafts.

And lastly, to everyone seeing all my multiple postings in a row and wondering who the heck does this clown think he is. I'm nobody special. It's just that Hunter texted me and we had a long conversation which via text is kind of hard and I am just filling in the gaps of our conversation.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.