2006 Jeep TJ Khaki Auto Light Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
2006 Jeep TJ Khaki Auto Light Build

I wasn't really planning on making one of these threads but I figured why not! I'm not planning on wheeling too much but I do want a capable 4x4 that can go over anything the street provides. Here are some pictures of when I picked it up a few months ago. First few things I did were Oil Change, Front and Rear Differential oil Change and a good cleaning. Will do a transmission and transfer case oil changes soonish.

Some info:
2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Khakis Metallic Automatic
No mods

Attached Images

2006 Wrangler Sport - Light Khaki Metallic
2005 Wrangler Sport - Impact Orange - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
A few weeks after buying the TJ I was able to pick up some Freedom Edition wheels AND Adapters from JK Bolt Pattern to TJ Bolt Pattern. Looks like it needs a lift but I did not notice any rubbing so I decided to keep them and sold the original ones.
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
First problem appears! The driver's side hood latch was loose. Looking at it more closely I noticed that the rubber part was cracked and on its way out. I ordered a new one (should've ordered both) and replaced it. Tip: Its easier to just tear up the old one with some a sharp set of pliers than to actually remove it normally.
Attached Images

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
Second issue: Shifter Bushing broke and for a whole week I couldn't find a way to fix it. Turned out that even though I had the right part, I wasn't installing it correctly. After a week of trying, some Vaseline, and using a ratchet as a lever I was finally able to slip the stupid bushing into the nipple. I tried these generic ones from Pep Boys but at the end of the day I bought the OEM one. I know I could've done the permanent fix (thanks jeepforum) but if this one lasted 5+ years that's good enough for now. I did not take pictures of these at the time but I found these online which are exact same.

Attached Thumbnails
bushing.jpg  
Attached Images

post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
I wasn't feeling the adapters and JK Wheels (especially without a lift) and found a cheap set of 31s on American Racing Ventura wheels so I picked them up. AR Venturas are not the pretties wheels out there but they weigh 19 lbs - some of the lightest ones I've seen. Tires are Silent Armor..I don't think they make these anymore. Anyway, my brother picked up an XJ and I sold them to him since he's already lifted.
Attached Thumbnails
xj.jpg   IMG_2215.jpg  
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
Fun Times:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2147.jpg   IMG_2203.jpg  

post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
This post brings me to present: I bought a Rough Country 2.5 Lift with N2.0 Shocks. I was going to get it installed at a shop but they wanted $1,700 for everything. This included retorques after 500, 1000, and 1500 miles as well as the kit and front/rear adjustable track bars plus double something steering stabilizer. Seems a little excessive so my brother helped me with it instead. I also purchased a Rough Country adjustable FRONT Track bar although I've read its not really required.

The bolt on the track bar that holds the bar to the axle broke and a different one was used but I'm noticing that the whole body moves left when I steer right when the Jeep is not moving. I looked underneath and it seems that the issue is coming from that area so I will need to look for the original bolt I think... I also had issues with the steering wheel being way off center but I fixed it by adjusting the steering drag link (thanks Jeepforum) I will eventually need to have it aligned but I think that will wait until I get a set of 32s as these are on their way out anyway.

Other than this I really like the lift, its stable and comfortable...just a little harder to get into the Jeep now. I was considering some Sahara type steps but I've read that they suck when wheeling. Here is a pic of it raised. Sorry, didn't take pics of the install. I'm a little low on funds now so nothing major coming soon.
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
sandplasma

Garage
I think I am due for a retorque after driving 500 miles on the lift. Does anyone what exactly needs to be torqued? I'm guessing the bolts on top of the shocks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.