2004 TJ X Build/Update Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2004 TJ X Build/Update Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ X Build/Update Thread

Hey all, this is a thread designed for others to follow the progress on my Jeep. I will include a bit of a back story on how I got into Jeeps also. Do not expect a huge, rock crawler/trail only Jeep. This vehicle is my only car that needs to remain reliable, comfortable, and capable for moderate trail use. If something breaks, or needs replacing it will be upgraded. I do any work I can myself, or with help from friends. That is not to say I will not take it to a shop if needed though.

Let me know if you have any questions or offer advice as needed. Thanks for all of the information and great build threads on here! Here we go...

So I have always been a "car guy" since I was around 15, and got into Hondas/Imports when I was in high school. I have had (for those who understand imports) an H22 EK hatchback, 1g DSM turbo, Integra, S2000, as well as a couple of sport bikes.

I went back to school when I was around 21 for aviation technology, I also went part time at work. When I went back to school I had a 2001 Honda S2000 that was not cheap to modify and the car payments were quite high. So I started looking around on my days off at local car lots.

I ended up at a Chevy dealer here in town, and saw a black 2004 Wrangler X. I talked to the guy about it and he told me that they hadn't had it long. It was a 1 owner car, inline 6, auto, D30/D35, hardtop, full doors, 56k mils, ect. Nothing special besides some "Big O" brand mud terrain tires. So I asked if I could drive it...

Drove it, then kept it for a couple of days to see how I liked it. I was sold. I figured it was a vehicle I could drive everyday, and not modify (LOL, I know).

Ended up buying it, and left it alone. I do not have a pic of it in 100% stock form (wish I did). A friend of mine and I started to wheel some and I quickly realized this was going to get interesting...

On to the mods:

-First up was a set of 31" Pro Comp All Terrains, the tires on the Jeep were starting to wear.
-Set of fog lights
-Remove milk jugs

After this I left the Jeep alone, other than oil changes, air filters, and painting the headlight bezels. The Jeep was a great daily driver, and capable for my uses. Around 75k miles I performed a lot of maintenance,

-Transfer case fluid
-Front and rear axle fluid
-Spark plugs
-Front brakes

I got bored with the stock speakers, and the stock CD player stopped working. So I upgraded,

Pioneer head unit:

Apline Type S front and rear speakers:

Painted the fenders. Added front tow hooks, rear tow hook (no pic), and some recovery gear (in the trunk area):

After this I wanted a small lift, a Rubicon Express Budget Boost was installed by Moab Off Road in Louisville, KY. Great guys! Yes, I also refinished that old fuel tank:

Needed a way to communicate with others when off road, CB radio:

Antenna mounted to stock tire carrier:

Skid Row off road power steering skid (hard to see), fog lights broke, and getting dirty:

That is how the Jeep stayed for quite some time.

93civic_Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeper friend and I trimmed my bumper:

Here are a few pics from my first trip to Interlake off road park in Indiana:

I did not get into anything that I could not handle on my own (only took my Jeep with my brother and a friend).
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Time to work on the Jeep, death wobble roared its nasty head. The correction was upgraded steering installed by Moab off road. This is the Crown "Heavy Duty" kit. Basically replacement stuff, with a V8 ZJ tie rod. You can also see the Skid Row radiator skid I installed:

"Wrangler" sticker removed from the hood:

Unread 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interlake off road again, this time with my brother's Land Rover. This was the first off road voyage for the Rover:

Side note on the Rover...it was bought stock, the bumper, fog lights, and winch were added shortly after. These are its only mods still.

Later in the year the blower motor resistor started to go bad (only 2 speeds on the climate controls). I replaced it, no pics.
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Then it started to overheat in the summer. Fan clutch replaced, thermostat replaced, coolant flushed, front bumper sanded/primed/repainted, frame area under the front bumper was sanded/repainted, new Hellas installed:

New wheels, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers. 15" x 8", 3.75" backspacing:

Unread 01-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This pretty much brings us up to date. Most recent mod includes a Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar. If you can tell from other pics the sway bar was removed after the lift went on, one of the links broke.

The links have not been trimmed as of yet, I will be doing that this weekend.
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

nice build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/frankin_rubi-tj-build-1140219
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

So re-threaded the links for my Anti-Rock today. They're still too long, so looks like I will be figuring out who can make new ones locally, or ordering shorter ones from Currie.
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Clay125
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics!!!!!!
Clay125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all.

Just ordered these rods from Currie, they were $30, so the price isn't terrible. Should take all of the guess work out, and they will be shipped directly to me. So no more wasted time.

Here is the link to what I ordered: http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2990

I will update this thread when they arrive.
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Shorter links just arrived from Currie:

Hoping to find time to install them this weekend.
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well finished up the Anti-Rock today, I really like it. Seems to be tighter on the road (obviously compared to no front sway bar). Checked the articulation and seems to be good. Couldn't find anything close by to max it out but looks about right.

Pic:

Unread 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! What mount did you use for your antenna? Any pics withe the tire out of the way?
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It was just a mount I bought at a truck stop when I bought the antenna, I will try to get a pic here soon.

Basically just drilled the mount into the tire carrier, then ran the cable up the larger existing hole in the tire carrier. The tire barley contacts the antenna but not too much at all. Actually helps to keep it plenty stable.

Note on the Anti Rock, ive put about 40 miles on the Jeep today and I really like it, its setup on the middle hole in the arm.
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Joe-b, here is a pic of the antenna mount. Didn't get time to take the tire off and get more. But this should give you a decent idea:

Also had time to take a quick flex picture, had a coupe more inches of up travel on the driver's side front but this was just a quick test. Anti-Rock looks to be setup pretty good:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.