2004 Rubicon Project Rocksanne - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2004 Rubicon Project Rocksanne

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 Rubicon Project Rocksanne

Well my love for jeeps all started back in 2010 when i got my first 1999 xj. Eventually the xj grew from completely stock to a mild dd/wheeler. Mods consisted of a 4.5" short arm lift, some 16" icon rims, bushwacker flat flares, and a set of 285/75/16 bfg all terrains. Eventually i got the chance to change things up a bit. My grandparents had a 2004 Grand cherokee laredo in immaculate condition with very low miles, so i sold the xj and started to mod out the wj. I ended up with a pretty decent setup. I stetted with a 4 inch IRO kit, ARB bumper, 17" jk moab wheels, and a set of 255/75/17 Goodyear Kevlars. I loved the WJ but the jeep was just way too nice to wheel, so on to looing for another build. Well this past summer i came across a very good deal with my papa. He knew i always wanted a wrangler and he happened to have an 04' rubicon that he just took in at his dealership. He ended up letting me trade in the WJ for the rubicon, and this is where project rocksanne all began! First day home!

1st-day-home.jpg

mxzach733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep made it home safe and sound, but after a few days of driving it, it started making a horrible noise in the rear end. Sounded like a pissed off dinosaur. So went to the shop and ended up replacing the outer bearings. Problem solved. New fluids and shes good to go.
outer-bearings-replaced.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Next came a little wheeling trip to Gulches ORV park in Laurens SC. Its my local wheeling spot. Great place with plenty of obstacles from mild to wild. Also found out that my lockers wont engage.. Turns out i ran the drain plug too far in the rear. Took out the plug, grinded some off, put it back in and still doesn't work.. Ill get around to fixing it in the next week or so. Im thinking maybe an air leak, or sensor issue. Weird cause they were working when i got the jeep. Anyways, heres a few wheeling pics. Nothing special just messing around. I was suprised at how well just the limited slip pulled all day. Made it up heartbreaker, TNT, and palmetto crossing. Still would like to get the lockers working.
first-day-wheeling.jpg

first-dayt-wheeling.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now its time for rocksanne to get a face lift. Ended up going with the RC 4" long arm kit. Best bang for the buck i'd say. I've been running the kit for a few months now and i'm impressed. Only option i would change is a different set of shocks, maybe a little longer. The shocks seem to limit the travel. Heres a little flex test.
new-long-arm-kit.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up going to a meeting with the local club, Palmetto 4x4. The event was in Fountain Inn SC and was to help get kids out and active, and to prevent them from getting in trouble. The turn out was great and a lot of kids thought the jeeps were pretty cool, especially when they saw my jeep up on a buddy of mine Zach Nelsons.
palmett0-4x4-meeting.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now it was time for some bigger tires. A friend of mine got a new set of tires and was getting rid of these mickey thompson baja mtz with about half tread. I gladly took them considering he has a jk and i have a tj with 17"moabs, which i don't like. The tires are 315/70/17 so about a 35" tire. This was more of just a test to see how the jeep would perform with the 35s. No rubbing issues other than at full flex. This helped make my mind up. I hate the 17s on the tj, so I decided to drop down to 15s and 35s eventually. But for now, here is the jeep with the 17s and 35s. It actually does look pretty good with 17s and 35s I'd say, but i still want to swap out eventually.
some-donor-35s.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got some 15" rock crawler wheels and a new set of 35/12.50/15 KM2s.
Much better!!
15s-35s.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did some flex testing, and I could definitely add some bumpstop up front. I ended up taking the bolt out for the bumpstop that came with the kit and measure to see if i had enough thread to add about a 1" puck. Ended up having to go to Lowes and get some longer bolts, but they only had 6" long bolts and i only needed about 5". Got back and grinded the bolts down about an inch to where i needed them, added the puck on top of the other bumpstop and bolted it back up, that simple! Flexed her out and i couldn't be any happier. I have about a pinkey fingers worth of room left before it rubs even at full flex and turning lock to lock.
bumpstopped.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up going to Gulches ORV again this weekend with Clemson Offroad Club. Had a blast with these guys and the jeep worked great for wheeling without lockers once again! Still need to fix the lockers. I checked the air hoses for leaks, and there are no leaks anywhere. I put the jeep in 4-lo and neutral like i am supposed to and push the locker button and that light just keeps on flashing in my face. I push the button down again and the front turns solid and locks... That doesn't make sense because the lockers aren't selectable.. Could it be a faulty sensor or an electrical issue thats making the light flash but the locker is actually engaged? I had the diff covers off the other day to put my new G2 diff covers on before the wheeling trip and the lockers would lock mechanically without the covers, but when i drove home and tried it the locker light would't turn solid for the rear. It just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone help... Please?...
gulches-flexed.jpg  
most-recent-wheeling-trip.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
harrell79cj5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your front locker is engaging(it can engage even if the rear is still blinking). I would almost bet for sure that it is the little piece of air line that is inside the diff. I know that doesnt seem to make sense, but for some reason removing covers etc upsets that line that has been in there for awhile(mine did it and a few others here did too http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/uc...ocker-1373015/). I used some 1/8" (I think its 1/8")fuel line to replace mine. Check a couple of things before you do that. You will have to put yours in 4 low (since I dont think you have the locker mod from the sound of it). Turn the key to on(dont start it). Engage the rear locker. you should hear the pump run and if everything was working correctly it would cut off and the light on the dash go solid. most likely your's will keep running. If that is the case, slide underneath and pull the hose off the barb that goes into the diff(its on the opposite side from the cover or the yolk side, in the picture attached its the brass looking barb on the back). Put your finger over the end of the hose. If the pump stops running, you know you have a leak in the diff(almost sure it would be the piece of airline inside there). If the pump doesnt cut off, you have a leak between the end of the hose and the pump.
d44-9.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
harrell79cj5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

And do check that its not the sensor! Engage the rear locker and try to go forward and turn. Do this in the grass or gravel not on pavement! If it is a little more difficult to turn and the grass or gravel from the tire on the insde of the turn is being torn up some it is engaged and the sensor is likely bad.
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

@harrell79cj5. When i had the diff covers off last weekend the hose was still connected inside the differential and seemed to be working fine. The locker was mechanically locking and unlocking with the diff covers off. It seemed as if when i would lock the front end the locker seemed to move over farther than when i would lock the rear. Even with the lockers "engaging" with the diff covers off, the rear locker light would still flash and the front would be solid.
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And thanks for the advice harrell79cj5. I just read the link you posted and i will definitely try that this weekend. That is such an odd thing to happen, i would've never thought of that! Hopefully thats the case!
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet jeep. What are the specs for those wheels
redrubicon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
mxzach733
2004 TJ Wrangler 

redrubicon11 they are 15x8 rock crawler steelies with 3.75" backspacing running 35/12.50/15 km2. Works perfect with the 4" long arm.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.