2004 LJ Rollover - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2004 LJ Rollover

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #61
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Sssssh, don't tell anybody. It'll ruin my reputation
Thanks for the tip I will certainly try that. Should have everything ready for Friday evening

jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #62
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Okay got to make an update here for those interested.

I installed the corner guards next and button everything up.

I worked on the rocker guards some more and wanted to give a few photos to show people where the nutserts are mounted. There are 6 on the bottom and 4 on the sides. The rest can be reached and a nut installed.

There are some earlier photos for the holes on the sides of the tub. I then decided I would buff and polish the sides of the rocker guards and it came out pretty nice.

Had to do lots of painting and this is was the result

I then installed the rockers with the steps on and it went pretty well. The bad thing was that the paint in the countersunk holes started to flake off when I torque the screws down I am going to have to touch up the area around the screws. I didn't get a perfect color match so down the road I will be tempted to hit it with some paint again.

Next came the front bumper. It went pretty well. Very top notch product I must say.

The rear bumper was a pain to install. I will have details later on.
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #63
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's really starting to come together.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #64
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the support. I will explain the Savvy rear bumper and things to do so that you can get it together.

First thing you want to do is take your studs that will be used in the rear of the bumper. There are 4 studs and two aluminum plates. You need to press the studs into the plate. I used a deep socket and my vice to press them in. I believe a hammer would work as well. Make sure to get them nice and flush.

Now these plates with the studs have to be fished through the inside of the bumper. There are two access holes to get them in there. If you got some plastic washers in your kit to thread onto the studs do that now.

If not, I suggest putting some two way tape or duck tape on them and then fishing the in. You will have difficulty keep them there if you don't use tape to keep them there. I also put some superglue on the holes where it meets the stud. This will help keep them there nice and tight. Now let the glue dry up The reason you want to do this is that when you are installing the bumper you will carefully wedge the bumper onto the frame and take care to not put the studed plates back into the bumper.

Next lets move onto the frame tie-ins. First start by removing your rear body mounts. Take the bolts and the rear rubber isolation out. Taking them out will give you more room to work on the frame tie-ins. Each tie-in has an opened face which has to face in body mount.

When you try to fit the frame tie-in you might have this problem.

This means that your frame tie-ins are too snug. You will have to grind off some material. I used my angle grinder to remove the surface here.

Work on them till you can slide them in. If they fit a bit snug you can use a block of wood to tap them in the rest of the way. Now that you are confident you can get them to fit you take them off so can paint them up and set them aside.

Back to the bumper stud. Now take the bumper with the stud brackets installed and press the bumper on. You might have to tap the bumper with a mallet to get it on. Try to to keep it going on level and work it on each side slowly. Doing this will ensure that your studs don't back out and fall into the bumper.

When you get the studs through the frame you I suggest putting the serrated nuts on and tightening them down. This way the studs snug up into the holes of the frame and won't come out very easily. Next you can take the nuts back out and time to install your frame tie ins. Slide your frame tie-ins on and then for added insurance I loosely threaded the nuts back onto the studs.

Each frame tie-in will require you to drill one hole into the frame. Take the time to mark the hole, and drill it out. I removed the frame tie in one more time and drilled my hole out on each side.

Bolting the frame tie-ins will be easy if you a plate in your hardware bag that has two nuts welded on. If not, you can install it without. First remove the two bolts that hold your muffler to the frame. This will give you some extra room you will need. You will need to use a box end wrench and some tape. I put just a little bit of masking tape against each nut and then fish the wrench into the frame. Then you can thread your bolts on so that they are snug. Now you can pull your wrench out.

The last bolts you will have to install is two carriage bolts on the bottom of the bumper that will tie into the frame tie-ins. When you get them installed this is what it should look like Don't forget your rear bodymounts and your muffler bolts.

Unread 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #65
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So here are some photos of the close to finish product. Still have much more armor to put on but I need to work on getting my inspection done this weekend. Have to blend the paint. Getting the tires all balanced and the bad ones replaced. It looks like I have a hole in the axle housing where its plug welded to the axle tubes as well... More to go but here is what I have now.

Unread 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #66
Geister

Amazing work. You really brought this one back to life
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #67
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to show some semi finish pictures.

Unread 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #68
65th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Woah, what a transformation! Looks great
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #69
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

wow! Looks great!
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #70
jharvey615
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks mighty Savvy!
Unread 12-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
skydizzle
2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice work man!
skydizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #72
TJLover99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Amazing work dude I think LJs w/ hard tops are awesome
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #73
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's looking awesome man. What a transformation.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #74
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right on!
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #75
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are those Rubi flares? Looks good.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.