2004 LJ Rollover - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2004 LJ Rollover

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Okay, while we are waiting for the painting I had some time to do some other updates. I got the Savvy body lift installed and it was pretty typical. I started by loosing up on side of the vehicle and then worked on removing the other side. Using a block of wood on my jack I rasied one side of the tub and installed the body lift. The savvy body lift is different than most others out there. It is concaved and convexed so that it fits perfectly on the rubber isolaters.
Here is a close up on the mount as well as the new bolts included. Torque them to 35 ft-lbs

Here are some photos of the BL locations. The only ones I left out are the ones that are for the rubber snubbers. I intentionally left those since I have replacing this grill with the one that is in the paint shop.

Front grill

Side view where 3 are located

Rear Bumper

There are two located near the shock studs, one on each side.

jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #32
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Okay on to the savvy motor mount lift. There are few key points to take note of. I will try to address them as best as I can. Remove the bolts that hold the transmission to the skid.
Loosen the through bolts that go through the motor mounts. Next you must remove the studs on the bottom of each motor mount located here:

Next you can loosen the bolts that are on the motor mounts that thread into the frame. At this point you can use a block of wood on your jack and apply light pressure on the oil pan.
If you have AC then you will have to work a bit harder on the driver side of the vehicle (left hand drive vehicles, not if it matter or not but thought I would say that).
You have to remove the motor mount bracket inorder to get the mount out. The through bolts you loosen up earlier cannot be taken out on the driver side of the vehicle. Here are the 3 bolts:

Get these bolts out in order to get the driver motor mount out. Now you should be able to work on the passenger side of the vehicle as well. This side should be easier to access since the through bolt can be removed.

Now each motor mount has a stud molded into them. Since you are raising the motor mounts you need to extend these studs. In your package you should ahve recieved the studs but you need to make a small adjustment. Here is the issue:

We need to cut just a little bit off with a cut-off grinder or applicable tool:

Now use some locktight when putting the studs back on so they don't turn back out on you. Here is how you should installed the MML blocks. Both should have their threads facing towards the grill. The L shaped block should be on the passenger side.
passenger side

driver side
Unread 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #33
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Torque you motor through bolts to 48 ft-lbs, the stud bolts to 30 ft-lbs and the motor bracket bolt to 40 ft-lbs.
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #34
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Next up is the Savvy Rockers and Steps. Here are some photos of what they look like.

Rocker Reinforcements

Steps

Great welds on the steps, very stout.

Unread 10-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #35
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I love those so much... can't wait to get a set.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here are something to note above the installation worksheets provided. Take your time and get the rockers tight up against the tub. Try your best to keep them centered, leveled and preloaded as the instructions said. I found that I preloaded the center and clamped it down on the inside of the tub, then I preloaded the ends and clamped those down again. Lastly preloaded the center. I check with my trust level to verify that they were level before marking each hole to be drilled.

When marking the holes don't get to crazy thinking you need to drill every hole on the rocker. The row of holes on the bottom closest to the edge of the tub DO NOT need to be drilled out. These holes will line up with your steps and can be bolted on when you are ready to install the rocker and step together.

Needless to say, but there are quite a few of holes that need to be drilled and a number of them need to have nutserts installed. Take your time and drill each hole out and mark which ones you need to drill larger to accomodate the nutsert.

I will provide more photos of the holes that need to be drilled out to accomodate the nutserts when I start on them. Be sure to clean up your holes and any rust spots that are in the area behind the rockers so that you don't have any issues trapped behind them.

Today I had to work on getting the rockers prepped to be painted. I am going to paint these myself since I can do them hopefully successfully in my garage. I got the steps and rockers primed up today.
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #37
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I love those so much... can't wait to get a set.
I agree! They are really well designed. They mated against the tub so well.
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #38
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
I agree! They are really well designed. They mated against the tub so well.
I have found that when installing the rockers, the best way is to get them preloaded and then clamped to the side of the tub. Once that is done, drill through every hole in the aluminum rocker backer with a 3/8" drill bit. Sides and the bottom and all of the ones for the slider on the sides.

When that's done, drop the backer and any hole that you can't use a through bolt on, drill out for the nutserts.

Works well, fast, and very easy.
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #39
Ramathorn
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see those rockers installed! I'm still debating what I want to use on my lj...
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #40
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Okay two small updates. I got the rockers primed and ready to be painted. Also got my parts back from the painter and got them installed. Now to work on getting the door interior back on while painting the rockers.
Rockers and Steps Primed

Front End

Unread 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
MisterO

wow amazing work!
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #42
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Small update for me here. I was out of town all week and got back this weekend. I managed to put the interior on both doors. I also test fitted the Rocker Panels to be confident that my drilled holes were okay. The plan is to work on the corner guards while prepping and painting the steps and rocker guards. I will have detailed pictures coming soon!
Unread 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #43
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome! I love watching these rebuilds, especially with a very thorough writeup!
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #44
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice unlimited! I think the "brought back from the dead" builds are the best! What flares do you have in mind?
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
Nice unlimited! I think the "brought back from the dead" builds are the best! What flares do you have in mind?
Hey thanks for the compliments! I am keeping things simple for this part of the build and putting some rubiflares on it. I am considering color matching them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.