2004 LJ Cummins 4BT 1 Ton Transformation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2004 LJ Cummins 4BT 1 Ton Transformation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORS

Unread 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

2004 LJ Cummins 4BT 1 Ton Transformation

Hey everyone, I thought I'd share my build with you guys. Its an ongoing project that has taken over a year so far, as I am a full time student and I work part time, so progress can be very slow at times. I started this thread on wrangler forum, but It has and will have a lot of axle tech and 4bt stuff for people who want to do the same. I'm posting what I have up to this point. Enjoy

I've had a few jeeps in the past, a wrangler, scrambler, and cherokee, but I've wanted to do a diesel swap for a while now, and I decided to go with an LJ for my base. I scanned Davey's Jeep's for a while and finally found a rolled 04' that was mechanically sound, and only had a little body damage, save for the hood, fenders, grill, and roll bar. I ended up selling my cherokee in a hurry and getting the wrangler for a little under 4k

I drove up from Tennessee to Ohio with my good friend and trailered it back down here, getting 12mpg up, and a solid 9mpg back down with his Powerstroke f550, haha.

The overall plans for the build are as follows:

- Cummins 4bt out of a bread van
- Ford ZF5
- Dana 300
- 14bolt and Dana 60 with Detroit lockers out of a CUCV truck
- Clayton Pro series long arms, with 5 inch springs
- H1 double beadlocks, recentered, in 37 inch Goodyear Mt's
- Tube fenders, or Hi-line tube fenders
- Genright Cage

I began work on it when I got it home. The plan was to completely strip the entire thing, interior, exterior, and remove the tub from the frame.

I got the axles, engine, transmission, and transfer case out and sold them all. I removed the body from the frame with my cousins crane that he had down in TN to remove trees and debris that had fallen from the tornadoes that swept the area.
[/URL]

The tub was off and in its resting place for the next year. I started school again and had no time to work on it. I did start working on the frame though. Also, I searched many sites and found a bread truck where I would get the 4bt from.

I waited and scanned all the local craigslists, but no breadvan was found. almost all had the gm diesels, or 350's.

I heard of a website through 4btswaps.com, a place called dovbid.com. They have auctions of vehicles, equipment, etc, and I found several on there. I ended up finding one and getting it for $1800 out the door, not knowing if it ran or what needed to be done. I drove 3 hours with a buddy of mine and low and behold, it started on the first crank, and ran flawlessly. On the way back though, I blew a rear tire, thinking that the engine had blown. But I was pleased to find it was just a rear tire. However, the bolts were seized up and we had to drive 30 minutes to get a cheater bar at a hardware store.

My LJ Cummins 4BT with 1 Ton's Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ation-2703513/
Beowill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
sjones26573
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Took out the engine and trans, which was an sm456. Then I cut up the entire body in strips, because it was aluminum, and its a pretty good scrap price. Between the frame, axle, and body, and wheels, I ended up getting about $900 for everything at the scap yard. I wend through probably 20 sawzall blades lol.

It ran perfect when I drove it home, but since it is already out of the frame, I thought I would go ahead and do a master rebuild kit on it, which isn't too expensive for some peace of mind.

The body had some surface rust underneath, and the frame had some pretty bad rust in certain places, as well as trapped inside the rails. It amazes me how some people literally never wash their frame once when they live up north and drive through salt constantly

I began by almost completely stripping the frame of all the brackets and etc, and grinded and sanded most of the rust off. I bought a couple quarts of chassis saver, which you can paint directly over rust.

My LJ Cummins 4BT with 1 Ton's Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ation-2703513/
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was originally going to use the chevy adapter plate that was on the back of the 4bt, which meant I would need a chevy nv4500 and a chevy np205. This however changed when I got all the parts together and found out that I did not have the correct pattern and shaft lengths in the transmission. I had bought chevy axles so that I could use the np205 but that changed. I didn't find this out until after the suspension was already under and the body was back on. So pretend that hasn't happened yet. I would much rather have a ford dana 60 because of the driver side drop, and everything fits better steering and suspension wise.

These are the axles I picked up

Unread 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you need to straighten the frame at all?
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I also ordered a clayton pro-series long arm kit, a 1 inch body lift to clear the down pipe and extra height of the 4bt, and all the suspension brackets. Also, I ordered the 5 inch clayton coils, and bilstein shocks as well.

The clayton stuff is phenomenal, let me just say that ahead of this. The build quality is high, and the stuff is just beefy. I lost some of the pictures of the process, but here is all the suspension mounted on the frame and a picture of the axle with the bracket on for the 4 link.

Also, I got the tires and wheels in from Trail worthy fab. Their stuff is high quality, but the turnaround time was a little more than I would have liked, over a month.

[URL=http://s818.photobucket.com/user/wmeyer1106/media/Unlimited%20Wrangler/NCM_0202_zps450dc5bc.jpg.html]

The steering is not done. I was waiting to know the final ride height before I measured out the links and such.

Unread 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here is the wheel and tire. Don't mind the ugly axle

Unread 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be posting the rest of what I have later tonight for those interested.

Unread 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Beowill

2004 LJ Wrangler 

No I did not have to straighten the frame. It was fine. The body was tweeked some but not enough for me to care.

Also, all the brackets I have bought from either ruffstuffspecialties.com, or ballisticfab. Ruff stuff is a great site, run by a good team of people. Dan, the owner, is a nice guy and good to work with. He knows his stuff. If you guys have any questions on the brackets or anything for that matter, let me know.

Unread 09-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think everybody should have a crane like that just sitting in their drive way! Was it a strain for it to lift to tub, I bet those outriggers weren't needed for the tubs weight, rather the booms weight.

Thanks for the thread.
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is awesome. Your doing what I've always wanted to do. I have an 05 LJ and think the cummins 4bt would perfect for it. Keep updating the thread when you can. Your going to have what many of us dream of....a diesel powered wrangler!

Best of luck finishing the build.
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Crawled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Please post more pics of your upper front suspension!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribing
bthompson12994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great project to follow. !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.