2003X TJ Build !! - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2003X TJ Build !!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #736
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'd be interested to see how they enhance night time driving. I've got the factory fogs and would like to upgrade to give the headlights some help.
As soon as I get them installed ill post pics.

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #737
djflyy
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'd be interested to see how they enhance night time driving. I've got the factory fogs and would like to upgrade to give the headlights some help.
I've got 2x 55watt driving lights recessed in my front bumper and I'll tell you... driving at night is MISERABLE without them on. They truly define the lane in front of me in a way that the headlights never have and never will (granted I've got slightly upgraded stock lights, not H4) but still. The first thing I do when I get in my TJ is turn my front drivers on.

The lowest ones in this pic. Make all the difference in the world.

__________________
Boston Jeep Build Thread
North Shore Jeeps Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosing View Post
Cleaning this thing up is similar to a slightly abused pornstar throwing on a bunch of makeup to try to hide her eternal scars, but I think she doesn't look too bad
djflyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #738
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Received and installed 5" KC 55W Apollo Series Driving Light Kit. The Hella 500's I had were old and worn out and didn't throw any light. The KC's are much smaller then the Hella's and would not fit good on the lower part of the bumper. I ended up mounted them on the winch fair lead using two existing holes. I like them a lot better there, I was able to angle them down a bit on the road so they aren't blinding to on coming drivers. They are very bright for 55W, I am very happy with them.
What was interesting was the directions don't call for a relay for the lights, just a 20amp fuse inline. I have included a picture of the directions and some install pictures.
img_1222.jpg   img_1223.jpg   img_1224.jpg   img_1225.jpg   img_1228.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #739
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
KC 5" Apollo Driving Lights. Old wiring I removed and cleaned up. Double heat shrink the wires. Mounted the new lights in two different spots. I like the winch lead better.
img_1232.jpg   img_1233.jpg   img_1235.jpg   img_1236.jpg   img_1237.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #740
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
KC 5" Apollo. Wiring done and cleaned up. Finished pictures.
img_1238.jpg   img_1239.jpg   img_1240.jpg   img_1241.jpg   img_1242.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #741
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
KC 5" Apollo's Finished.
img_1243.jpg   img_1245.jpg   img_1246.jpg   img_1247.jpg   img_1248.jpg  

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #742
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Wow dude! That's some serious light! So since they didn't come with a relay, do you think the KC's would be a direct replacement for the stock fogs? And, do you think they would be an improvement over the stockers?
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #743
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Wow dude! That's some serious light! So since they didn't come with a relay, do you think the KC's would be a direct replacement for the stock fogs? And, do you think they would be an improvement over the stockers?
I am going to assume because they don't draw as much power as the Day Lighters that they don't need a relay, just the 20 amp fuse. I know KC sells a version of the lights that "plug" into the stock harness. These are super bright that they have to be better than the stockers.

EDIT: here is the direct replacement light, buts its $85 for one light. The kit I got was the same price.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_120X_PG.htm
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #744
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Also - I got tired of my D-Rings banging around, and I was looking on Quadratec and found rubber isolators that go around the pin to stop that. $20 shipped for 4 sets. Ordered them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_1900.htm
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #745
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Sorry if I missed it, but did you upgrade your factory headlights as well?
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #746
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but did you upgrade your factory headlights as well?
Yes, a few months ago I installed HID's. They were not that great, too bright, blinding on coming drivers. Then they kept cutting out.
I swapped those out for Hella E-Code Lenses with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 Bulbs. What a difference, so much happier with them. The beam is strait and thrown to the sides. They have a slight blue/hyper white tint to them. You can see the color difference in the picture above (2nd pic) with just the new KC's and headlamps on.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #747
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
Yes, a few months ago I installed HID's. They were not that great, too bright, blinding on coming drivers. Then they kept cutting out.
I swapped those out for Hella E-Code Lenses with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 Bulbs. What a difference, so much happier with them. The beam is strait and thrown to the sides. They have a slight blue/hyper white tint to them. You can see the color difference in the picture above (2nd pic) with just the new KC's and headlamps on.
I upgraded my stockers with the Rampage H4 conversions about 4 years ago.
It was a noticable improvement over the stockers, but I'm wondering if your setup is even better?
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #748
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03

I upgraded my stockers with the Rampage H4 conversions about 4 years ago.
It was a noticable improvement over the stockers, but I'm wondering if your setup is even better?
I dont have anything to compare it to other then the HIDs. But the Hella E-code lenses are a very nice glass housing.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #749
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I dont have anything to compare it to other then the HIDs. But the Hella E-code lenses are a very nice glass housing.
Yeah, I've heard the HID's just aren't quite there yet. LED's are getting closer, but not quite there yet either. My Rampage housings have a glass face with a plastic housing. I may give those Silverstar's a try. I assume they'll work ok off the factory harness, or do you have to add a relay?
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #750
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03

Yeah, I've heard the HID's just aren't quite there yet. LED's are getting closer, but not quite there yet either. My Rampage housings have a glass face with a plastic housing. I may give those Silverstar's a try. I assume they'll work ok off the factory harness, or do you have to add a relay?
I used the factory harness, just plugged the light in and go. Auto Zone sells the bulbs.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.