2003 Wrangler Sport, 4.5" RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2's and a never ending wish list. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2003 Wrangler Sport, 4.5" RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2's and a never ending wish list.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2003 Wrangler Sport, 4.5" RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2's and a never ending wish list.

Well I guess its about time I start a build thread
Here is how the story begins:

May 2009: Every kids most anxious birthday is there 16th birthday when they have the opportunity to learn and start to drive. Just like everyone other teenager I couldn't wait until I turned 16. The day had finally come and I could now receive my drivers license, I was so excited!! After receiving my drivers license my parents gave me the privilege to drive our 2003 Jeep Wrangler! I have always loved to be out exploring new places and a jeep was perfect for that, I was so excited and I couldn't ask for anything better!

Here was me and my Jeep just after I started driving it.

My First time out stock wheeling with some friends

I started driving my jeep to school as soon as my junior year started. My best friends would always joke around and tease me on how small and stock it was so after some convincing I started to look around for some new tires. I found a deal on some new 31 10.50 r15 BFG All-Terrains and that when the addiction hit I headed down to Las Vegas with a friend of mine the next day and we picked them up. My friend was the auto shop TA at our high school so he mounted and balanced my new tires for me.

Of course on my way home from school I had to take it on a mini 10 minute drive and test it out. Here is my Jeep with the new 31" BFG AT TA's on our drive.

I love my new tires and they were a huge improvement over the stock 235 70r15 Brigstone Dueler AT tires. I was so excited to take them off road for real so that next weekend by buddies and I headed out for a days adventure of Geocaching and off roading. We go to the third cache and I got out and heard a hissing noise coming from under my jeep, I looked around and yep you guessed it a nice 4" long stick was right through the sidewall of my brand new tires. That was the start to a really bad day! Seeing that there was nothing we could do about it in the middle of nowhere we put on my stock spare and found one last cache to at least end the trip on a somewhat happy note as headed back to the main road. We got out to look for the last cache of they day and yet there we go again this time a much louder hissing noise from the back tire. What do you know to my wonderful surprise another nice fat stick through another side wall. Of course they went in the middle of the tire because that would be easy to patch. So we headed slowly to my friends house stoping to pump air back into the tire as we drove. We got to there house and called around only to find that the sidewall is unable to be patched. Without any money to replace the tires because I spend my entire spring breaks earning on these tires in the first place we went to Walmart to get some tire plugs to at least let me drive back and forth the 5 minute drive to school. Just when I thought the day was as bad as it could be with the patched tires back on the jeep I went to put it in drive and the little plastic holder to the wire for the center automatic shifting unit snapped off. OH JOY! I called up our local jeep dealer and they talked me over the phone how to remove the cover and reach down and manually pull the metal pin and get it into gear. At leased Its all fixed now

My Next upgrade was a CB to use with my friends when we hit the trail. I ordered a Uniden Pro 520XL with a external PA mic. My next step was to find a way to mount it. I looked around at many many different mounting options and I decided to go with a CB mount bar from arizonarockroad.com, with there rear tire antenna mounts. I installed them the day they came and I love how it looked! I have always been interested in law enforcement so I purchased a Uniden Bearcat 15X Scanner that I mounted right never to my CB on my mounting bar. I ran all of the coax cords between my roll bar padding and the roll bar, and all the power cords I ran through my bar mount and then down the windshield side panel to my battery. All the cords are hidden and I am really happy with how it turned out.

Here is my CB and Scanner on the mount from arizonarockroad.com

A Good friend of mine has a Jeep LJ that had a 2.25" Old Man Emu suspension lift that he was upgrading from to a 5.5" Lift so I bought his old lift from him and he helped me install it. I was SO excited! Every jeep you hear about has a lift and now mine was finally getting one! My jeep was growing up slowly in the world of Jeeps. I headed to his house and we put my new lift on in his garage. This was the first job that I really did hands of with my jeep and it was lots of fun!
We swapped out the new shocks, new springs, new steering stabilizer, added a track bar relocation bracket, and bam! All done!

Here is my 31" BFG AT with the new 2.25" OME Lift

The 2.25" alone didn't last long because the addiction had already hit! A few months after that I added some 2" Spring Spacers all around and added a transfer case lowering kit just to be safe as well.
A Resent Rain Provided a great reason to test out the new hight! I don't think the gas station enjoyed my muddy mess too bad

The next thing on my list that I wanted was a winch, but obviously as a high school student that was far beyond my budget. So I did some research and got a highlift Jack that would work if I needed it to until I could afford a winch. I looked at many different ways to mount the jack and I found these hood mounts that I can lock the jack on that I liked the best.

Being a 03 in the hot desert sun of Southern Utah, my poor stock fender flares were looking very faded and sad so while my friend was rhino lining his XJ rocker panel protectors I rhino lined my fender flares, and running board steps. That made a HUGE difference!!
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I was out enjoying some trials near southern utah with a friend of mine and we started to heard a weird rattling/smacking noise as I drove. It turns out that with the added lift and the hot desert sun on the rubber bushings I snapped one of my stock disconnect, What a perfect time to upgrade to some sway bar disconnects!
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Now with a total of 4.25" of lift those little 31's were looking a little small, and with three of the four with plugs from off roading I decided it was time to switch to a thicker sidewall. The problem is that in order to get a BFG AT tire with thicker than a C load range sidewall rating you have to swap to 16" rims.
I like the look of a 33 much better on a 16" rim then a 15" rim so I wasnt mad. I found some ION 174 rims that I really like so I ordered them from jcwhittney.com and then found some cheap used BFG AT tires on craigslist that I put on to work untill I can afford some new tires.

At The tire shop! Bye Bye 31's

Heres the rims in the box.

Heres is my Jeep as soon as I got home with my New rims and the used 33's I got

After graduating from high school and getting a summer job at a local screen printing shop, I earned enough money to add some more upgrades. My jeep at the lift it was at was just on the border of needing to swap all of the relocation brackets and lowering kits and go for the real things so I replaced my now sagging 2.25" OME lift & 2"spacers which now were probably only around 3" and shocks and added some fun upgrades along the way. My compressed sagging springs had gotten so bad on the passenger side that when I would change lanes on the freeway my entire weight of my Jeep wound rock from one side to the other and that wasnt the funnest feeling going 75mps down the road. So I replaced my old stacked OME lift and spacer with a full short arm suspension lift that I put together with all my favorite brands and parts that I could afford.
  • Rubicon Express 4.5" Shocks
  • Rubicon Express 4.5" springs
  • Daystar Adjustable front upper and lower control arms,
  • Adjustable JKS front and rear track bars
  • Slip Yoke eliminator with an
  • Extended CV style drive shaft
  • Clear Marker Lights
  • Tint
  • JVC KD-R720 stereo
  • KC Lights
  • Rocker guards
  • Rocker Panel guards
  • Smittybuilt XRC-10 winch
  • BFG Mud Terrain KM2 33X12.50 Tires!
Well there went all my savings haha.
My best friend and I put all of these upgrades in together, it was a LOT of work but we had a good time!

Quote:
Jeep, The most accessorizable Vehicle in the world!
Well all of the parts had to be delivered to my dorm here at college until I could get home to put them all on.
The mail desk sure hated all of my heavy boxes especially the winch and rock sliders hehe

And those are just a few of the boxes!

I couldn't wait to finish my finals and get home and start working on the jeep!
The day after I got home I headed over to my friends garage after he got off work and we started the project!
It took almost a full week working only a few hours after he got off work each day but we completed it!
Swapping out he control arms/shocks/springs/brake lines

Last edited by jeepinjeffrey; 01-10-2012 at 12:34 PM..
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Rubi4Us
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It was fun watching all the changes.
LJ 2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara" Limited Edition #0146 of 1000
35 inch KM2's with 5.5 inch Rock Krawler Long Arm
Rubi4Us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My old OME shocks and springs with the 2" spacers on top.

New Rubicon Express 4.5" Shocks and springs.

I needed to extend my bump stops to prevent my tires from breaking off my fender flares when I flex so I did some research and fount out making my own hockey puck bump stops at the bottom would be the best way because you can only extend the top so much before you will rub against the springs when you flex.

Today I went and got my windows tinted. WOW I was so suppressed how much of a difference that made. it looks SO much better! I went the darkest Legal limit all around.
After with tint:

My Rock sliders came in the mail today so of course that was the first think I did! haha

its coming along slowly but surly.
My Rocker panel protectors came in to hide the nutserts left behind after I removed the plastic rock guards

This is my new JVC KD-R720 stereo. It came with a Jeep wrangler install kit from crutchfield, and a Jeep wrangler wiring harness so we just had to soder in the new wires to the wire harness and it snapped right into where the stock stereo plugged in. The faceplate was an easy plastic panel that fits great and makes the rectangular stereo fill the oval in the stock console.

Any Finally the long awaited real which! I wanted a Warn but it was to high for my budget so I went with the Smittybuilt XRC-10 and I am very happy with it! It looks great and gets the job done!

And now the final product!
Drum roll please…….

I love how it turned out and it looks exactly how I wanted it to!

Here is my Best friend and I the week we finished putting it all together.

Hes in the White two door XJ
Check out his build thread!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/mil...r-build-92126/
I Hope you all Enjoyed it! It brought back a lot of fun memories making this thread.
More updates and pictures will be coming so stay posted!
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today I re-wired my KC Lights to hide the wires and make it look better over all. I removed the cowl and ran the light wires from my relay in the engine area through to the cowl and then to the lights on each side. I used heat shrink tubing to cover all the wires and make it look better.

Here is the Cowl that I pulled off and ran the lights under to hide all the wires.

I ran all of the fuse and fuse wires into the Jeep fuse & relay box and put the two KC Fuses in the empty side of the fuse box to hide them.

I ordered a OEM Style switch that goes in the blank where a rubicon locker switch would go, I am really happy with how it looks and turned out
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple of the Jeep as a whole as it sits today.
Quote:
Sometimes I like to look from afar

Unread 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Moose340
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love it man, thats a sweet Jeep!
Moose340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose340 View Post
I love it man, thats a sweet Jeep!
Thanks! Its a lot of fun!
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
ZEEROX1TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey
Here are some more pictures of the lift. I know there not that good but they at least show the tire clearance.

Front:

Rear:

Here are a couple of the Jeep as a whole as it sits today.
I like the ions I just picked up the same ones can't wait to get them on!
ZEEROX1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I really like them! and i'm sure you will too!
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! those KM2's are sweet!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep need some flexing pictures, i wanted to run 33's on the RE 3.5" lift cause i thought that their 4.5" would be a tad to much but it looks great on yours

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
Nice jeep need some flexing pictures, i wanted to run 33's on the RE 3.5" lift cause i thought that their 4.5" would be a tad to much but it looks great on yours
Ill post some once the snow melts and I can finally go somewhere up here. I miss my Southern utah rocks year round!

I really like the 4.5 I think its great for 33's I like a little extra clearance and the look.
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
jeepkid93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It looks great!
jeepkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Currie Control Arms

My New Currie adjustable front upper control arms came in today, and I started swapping them in for my current daystar adjustable control arms. They are much more heavy duty and better built i'm excited! Sadly it started raining so ill have to finish the last side tomorrow. The lowers whould be in any day as well.

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Currie Control Arms Part 2

I got my Currie adjustable lower control arms in the mail this week and finally got around to swapping them in for my old Daystar adjustable arms. They were groaning every time I went over a bump because of the polyurethane bushings on one side (see video) so I swapped them out for the Currie control arms with a Jonny Joint on each side and it fixed the noise.

Old Daystar Control Arms

Daystar bushing rubbing spot.

New Currie Adjustable Lower Control Arms

Old vs. New

I went and got an alignment after I was all done today. Now i'm all set, and in love with my Jeep again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.