2002 TJ budget rebuild - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #106
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Thats a good looking skid. He did a nice Job on it.
X 2 . How thick of metal can he brake ?

Unread 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #107
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
How thick of metal can he brake ?
Don't know, but he can do a lot thicker than anything you would ever use on a jeep.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #108
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dropped off the TJ yesterday. Should be picking it up by the end of the day with the truetrac, SOLID cover, and new inner axle seals installed.

All I have left to get done is the front long arm, the engine skid, and the Genright tank. Should be ready to go after that.

Speaking of the long arms, 4wd.com sucks ***. I placed my order last Sunday, over a week ago, and after never receiving an email confirmation or a shipping notice, I called yesterday to see what the hell was going on. Even though the website said the order was placed, they never received the order. So after waiting a week for nothing, I had to place my order again. Hopefully they ship it out quick. I really want to get the long arms installed, I can't wait to go try this thing out.
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #109
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20120613_204240.jpg

forumrunner_20120613_204251.jpg
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #110
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Two of the three things I ordered from 4wd cane in today. Got my daystar replacements bushings and my rugged ridge steering box skid. For $41 it is actually a pretty good skid, I don't see any reason why anyone would buy a more expensive one.

forumrunner_20120614_192727.jpg

Mocked up my engine skid today. The darn thing could not have fit any better, seriously. Its fits like it was designed for that skid, even though all I did was take some rough measurements with a tape measure. With the skid pushed all the way back against the RE skid, the oil drain hole lines up perfectly, and the front of the skid sits even with the motor mounts, which is what it will mount to (like a UCF skid). There are no clearance issues with the skid and the exhaust, and the only modification I need to make is trimming about two inches off the back of the skid. I made it longer than needed in case my measurements were off, which they weren't. Tomorrow I plan to make the front mounts and then get the skid painted and final installed. If I have time I'm also going to try to get the gas task installed.

forumrunner_20120614_192738.jpg
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #111
Dash
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That turned out nice.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #112
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to take any pictures afterwards, but I got my genright tank installed. Turns out it is actually the alien tank, which allows for 9" stretch. Dont need that much room, and the fuel capacity sucks, but it was cheap so who cares?

Install was a breeze. The tank is set up for an 03-04 model, mine is an '02. Only difference is that the filler hose is a different size. I just so happened to have a spare '04 tank sitting around that I could source one from. Other than that it was a simple matter of swapping the pump over from my old tank and then bolting up the new tank, reconnecting the lines, drilling 2 holes through the frame for the front mounts, and then bolting it down. It was pretty simple.

The skid weighs a TON though. Eventually Im going to drop it and have my friend that made my engine skid make me one out of aluminum. I have to buy a big sheet, but for around $230 I should have enough for an engine skid, tummy tucker, and GTS all out of 1/4" aluminum.
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #113
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

4wd.com sucks ***! I finally called to check on the super flex housing I ordered, and it turns out it won't be in stock until the middle of next month. They could have at least sent me an email or something to tell me! My coal creek trip is on the 12th of next month, so I just canceled the order. I called currie this morning and they had their replacement johnny joints for rubicon express arms in stock, so I went ahead and ordered a couple of those. Should have just done that a month ago I guess. I really wanted to avoid the extra $100 cost (plus shipping) of the johnny joints right now with all of the other money I'm having to spend getting it ready.

Should have some pictures to put up tonight.
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #114
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can see where the cover and track bar were hitting the stock tank.

forumrunner_20120626_211711.jpg

forumrunner_20120626_211803.jpg

forumrunner_20120626_211843.jpg

Need to modify the exhaust hangar. The tank mount is in the way, plus the exhaust clamp hits the new skid. Should be an easy fix.

forumrunner_20120626_211904.jpg
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #115
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How'd you end up mounting that engine skid?
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #116
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97
How'd you end up mounting that engine skid?
Haven't yet. I got busy and never got around to it.

Right now I'm trying to get the stuff done that is necessary before taking it offroad. The gas tank took priority, and once I get my joints in from currie, the long arms will take priority. I'm planning on taking the jeep to URE on the 5th or 6th of next month, which gives me a week to get the front arms done. The engine skid will be done after that.
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #117
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was told when I called Currie that my joints would be here by Friday... It is now Monday and I STILL HAVE NO JOINTS!!! I really need them to get here tomorrow. I have the long arms ready to bolt in other than the joints I am waiting on. I am taking this thing to URE on the 5th and I would really like to have the long arms on by then so I can test everything out before Coal Creek.

I had today reserved to install the long arms. That didnt pan out, so I went ahead and knocked out the engine skid. It was actually a lot easier than I was expecting it to be, it was just time consuming. It took me about 5-6 hours, but a lot of that was head scratching and hole drilling. I forgot to take pictures before I pulled it down to paint it. I will upload pictures tomorrow after the final install. I do have a couple progress pics to upload though.
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #118
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Painted the lowers:

forumrunner_20120702_172633.jpg

Only had one remaining rear upper long arm, so I decided to convert it into the front upper I was missing.

forumrunner_20120702_172705.jpg

Turned out pretty good. I don't understand why the front uppers and rear uppers have different sized tubing and different length threads, but it worked so who cares?

forumrunner_20120702_172729.jpg

I counter sunk the bolt holes where the engine skid mounts to the tranny skid so there wouldn't be anything to hang up on under there. Also trimmed about 3.5" off the back edge (I measured long initially in case my measurements were off, but they weren't) and trimmed one corner where it covered up one of the RE skid bolts. The entire transfer case skid and engine skid can be dropped as one unit with the arms still in place on the frame.

forumrunner_20120702_172751.jpg
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #119
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Skid painted and ready to final install :

forumrunner_20120703_074435.jpg

Note how I had to notch the edge on one side to clear the exhaust. If I left the skid running straight out from the tranny skid, it would have cleared the exhaust. However, I pushed the front of the skid up as high as it would go for more ground clearance, and it contacted the exhaust when doing so. Also note the wings that are folded out at the front. That is the mounting points for the front of the skid.

Final installation is about to begin shortly.
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #120
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good. I'm ready to see it on the Jeep

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.