2002 TJ budget rebuild - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #91
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Tentative build list for this Summer:

RC 2.5" front springs (already have, already sagged)
AEV rear coil relocators
33s (already have)
UCF aluminum engine skid
UCF aluminum front bumper
EMP steering box skid
High clearance stock GTS
Rubi flares
CA mount skids/braces
Solid D30 diff cover
Tie rod flip
CV driveshaft (shortened front TJ CV)

Still undecided on how Im going to do the shocks. I would like to go full outboard in the rear and extend the fronts for at least 11" travel front and rear, but might just end up using standard 2" lift shocks in the front and 4" lift shocks in the rear with Tera relocation brackets. Plenty of time to decide.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #92
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So a couple days back I went wheeling with my dad again. This time I let him take the LJ up daniel (hardest trail at URE). First time I ever let him take the wheel of the LJ offroad. Needless to say, he has been bit by the jeep bug, hard.

Now he wants to build this jeep up so he can take it offroad like I take the LJ. Best part is, I get to build another jeep on his dime. Well, at least partially on his dime, I'm benefiting from building this thing too.

One thing he was really impressed by was the LJs wheelbase. After I subtly informed him of a genright ext tank on the classifieds, I convinced him to do a wheelbase stretch! I'll go more in depth about my plans later, but you can expect to see at least 5 inches of extra wheelbase in the next couple of months!
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #93
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
So a couple days back I went wheeling with my dad again. This time I let him take the LJ up daniel (hardest trail at URE). First time I ever let him take the wheel of the LJ offroad. Needless to say, he has been bit by the jeep bug, hard.

Now he wants to build this jeep up so he can take it offroad like I take the LJ. Best part is, I get to build another jeep on his dime. Well, at least partially on his dime, I'm benefiting from building this thing too.

One thing he was really impressed by was the LJs wheelbase. After I subtly informed him of a genright ext tank on the classifieds, I convinced him to do a wheelbase stretch! I'll go more in depth about my plans later, but you can expect to see at least 5 inches of extra wheelbase in the next couple of months!
Nice now your not only a wheeler your also an enabler
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #94
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't see what the big hype about Savvy is, but whatever.
I'm with you. I've spend over $2600.00 with Savvy in the past year, and I've had problems with every single order so far. The only thing I've gotten from Savvy that I haven't had a problem with is my Novack cable shifter.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #95
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My next trip to Coal Creek is middle of next month, and I am obviously taking the LJ. Now that I have my dad hooked on wheeling, he wants to take the TJ there. That leaves it up to me to get this thing ready for some serious wheeling. Stock suspension won't be cutting it at this place.

I spent all day the day before yesterday working on it. First up was to lift it. Started with the front end. I used a set of RC 2.5" coils and RC perf 2.2 shocks. While I had the coils out I added a 1" spacer to the bottom coil pad. Hopefully 1" will be enough bumpstop extension.

1.jpg

Then I moved to the rear end. Since I am still using my RC 2.5" coils in the rear of my LJ, all I had to lift it with was a couple of 2" spacers, which I also paired with RC 2.2 shocks. Forgot to get a picture of the rear suspension.

Stock control arms are a bad idea at Coal Creek. Some of the trails we go on have a lot of creek crossings that are filled with large rocks, but the water level is so high that you can't see some of them. I have no intention of testing my luck with the stock arms, as my local wheeling spot (which is easy by comparison) has already bashed both front lowers:

4.jpg

5.jpg

For the front I have decided to rehab what is left of the Rubicon Express long arm that came with the Jeep. The passenger side arm is perfect, other than the poly joints needing to be replaced. The driver side is in pretty poor shape though. The upper arm is thrashed, the flex joint is busted, and the poly bushing is trashed. I have already ordered Daystar replacement bushings, a new coupler for the broken flex joint, and I am going to make a new front upper using the only remaining rear upper control arm. I know a lot of people on here hate y link arms, but its a cheap upgrade for me, and if I don't like it I can go back to short arms later with custom mounts. Hopefully the parts I ordered will get here quick so I can get the arms installed soon and go test the suspension at my local wheeling spot.

6.jpg

7.jpg

While I had the coils and shocks out of the way I decided to take care of the rear lowers. Back when I installed my RC X-series lift on my LJ, 2 of the lowers came with messed up threads. I called in and had them warrantied, so they only got used for a couple weeks and one wheeling trip. Other than needing a vice and a 3 foot ratchet extension to adjust the joints, they are basically brand new. They will only be used temporarily until the wheelbase stretch occurs. The flex joints and poly bushings suck, but the arms are beefy, and that takes precedence where I wheel.

2.jpg

For tires I am using my old set of 33x12.50 Mud Dawgs. They are about 50% tread, and they are mounted on a set of 10" wide alloy rims that came with the 35" BFG ATs that I bought for my LJ a while back. Not a great set-up, but should work good enough for now. Once I wear them out I would like to get a set of 33x10.50 BFG KM2s on 8" rims.

Here is how it is currently sitting:

3.jpg
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #96
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For an econo build it looks great . Hopefully it wheels good for your pop at Coal Creek .
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #97
Dash
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good call on replacing the stock lowers before Coal Creek. July is the wettest month of the year there. The creek crossings will be Deep.

Stretching the wheelbase will be a fun project but it is time consuming.
Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #98
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
For an econo build it looks great . Hopefully it wheels good for your pop at Coal Creek .
Thanks! Other than the cost of the two Jeeps I used to build it, I have very little money invested in it. The stuff I am currently purchasing for it is being funded by the parts I have sold from it (MetalCloaks for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Good call on replacing the stock lowers before Coal Creek. July is the wettest month of the year there. The creek crossings will be Deep.

Stretching the wheelbase will be a fun project but it is time consuming.
I remember it from last year. Trails 12 & 16 should be fun. The wheelbase stretch will have to wait until after Coal Creek.
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #99
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got tired of driving around with no sway bar, so I installed my old rough country quick disconnects. Similar to what happened with my control arms, the disconnects got damaged the first time I took them offroad, so I had them warrantied and they shipped me out a new set. However, I decided not to run a swaybar at all on the LJ (until I upgraded to the antirock) and never even installed them... So I sold them. I still have the damaged disconnects though, and other than the bars being bent, they work perfectly fine.

forumrunner_20120605_125347.jpg

Here is a picture of the rear suspension that I forgot to take:

forumrunner_20120605_125438.jpg
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #100
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Genright comp tank came in yesterday. Hopefully I can get it installed someone next week. I won't be doing the stretch before the coal creek trip, but at least I can benefit from the heavy duty high clearance gas tank skid. Plus, with my rear lowers at stock length and the uppers adjusted for the pinion angle, the track bar and diff cover are both against the stock gas tank skid.

forumrunner_20120606_131601.jpg
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #101
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool thread. Good looking tank too, is that the 19 gallon replacement?
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #102
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Cool thread. Good looking tank too, is that the 19 gallon replacement?
Its the 15 gallon comp tank. Allows for 7" of stretch. The 19 gallon EXT tank only allows 5" of stretch.

When I do my stretch I will be shooting for 7" if possible, haven't decided yet how I'm going to do the flares. I don't like the comp cut look much, and I would like to keep a flat back there.
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #103
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fedex dropped off my SOLID front diff cover and JKS mini skids yesterday. Only problem was, they didn't drop them at my house.

The tracking info said it was delivered yesterday, so fedex and knowwhere2jeep were about to get some angry calls. Luckily I have good neighbors, and they returned the package to me this morning unopened.

For how cheap they were I am impressed with both of these products. The SOLID diff cover is beefy.

Last time I did control arm skids on my LJ I made them myself. This time I figured it was more worth my time just to pay $22 for the JKS skids and save myself the trouble.

forumrunner_20120610_102901.jpg

Now that my diff cover is here I will be dropping the jeep off tomorrow to have the front truetrac installed.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #104
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had a friend that works at a machine shop custom make an engine skid for me. I gave him the measurements and it took him all of five minutes to make. I had it made from 3/16" steel. I just need to add a lip to the front edge and make some mounting brackets for the front and it will be good to go. Better than spending $300 on a UCF skid.

forumrunner_20120611_173214.jpg
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #105
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Had a friend that works at a machine shop custom make an engine skid for me. I gave him the measurements and it took him all of five minutes to make. I had it made from 3/16" steel. I just need to add a lip to the front edge and make some mounting brackets for the front and it will be good to go. Better than spending $300 on a UCF skid.

Attachment 413421
Thats a good looking skid. He did a nice Job on it.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.