My next trip to Coal Creek is middle of next month, and I am obviously taking the LJ. Now that I have my dad hooked on wheeling, he wants to take the TJ there. That leaves it up to me to get this thing ready for some serious wheeling. Stock suspension won't be cutting it at this place.
I spent all day the day before yesterday working on it. First up was to lift it. Started with the front end. I used a set of RC 2.5" coils and RC perf 2.2 shocks. While I had the coils out I added a 1" spacer to the bottom coil pad. Hopefully 1" will be enough bumpstop extension.
Then I moved to the rear end. Since I am still using my RC 2.5" coils in the rear of my LJ, all I had to lift it with was a couple of 2" spacers, which I also paired with RC 2.2 shocks. Forgot to get a picture of the rear suspension.
Stock control arms are a bad idea at Coal Creek. Some of the trails we go on have a lot of creek crossings that are filled with large rocks, but the water level is so high that you can't see some of them. I have no intention of testing my luck with the stock arms, as my local wheeling spot (which is easy by comparison) has already bashed both front lowers:
For the front I have decided to rehab what is left of the Rubicon Express long arm that came with the Jeep. The passenger side arm is perfect, other than the poly joints needing to be replaced. The driver side is in pretty poor shape though. The upper arm is thrashed, the flex joint is busted, and the poly bushing is trashed. I have already ordered Daystar replacement bushings, a new coupler for the broken flex joint, and I am going to make a new front upper using the only remaining rear upper control arm. I know a lot of people on here hate y link arms, but its a cheap upgrade for me, and if I don't like it I can go back to short arms later with custom mounts. Hopefully the parts I ordered will get here quick so I can get the arms installed soon and go test the suspension at my local wheeling spot.
While I had the coils and shocks out of the way I decided to take care of the rear lowers. Back when I installed my RC X-series lift on my LJ, 2 of the lowers came with messed up threads. I called in and had them warrantied, so they only got used for a couple weeks and one wheeling trip. Other than needing a vice and a 3 foot ratchet extension to adjust the joints, they are basically brand new. They will only be used temporarily until the wheelbase stretch occurs. The flex joints and poly bushings suck, but the arms are beefy, and that takes precedence where I wheel.
For tires I am using my old set of 33x12.50 Mud Dawgs. They are about 50% tread, and they are mounted on a set of 10" wide alloy rims that came with the 35" BFG ATs that I bought for my LJ a while back. Not a great set-up, but should work good enough for now. Once I wear them out I would like to get a set of 33x10.50 BFG KM2s on 8" rims.
Here is how it is currently sitting: