2002 TJ budget rebuild - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #76
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
After the fun I had adjusting my pinion , I wish I had adjustable uppers . Though your still going to need to adjust the lowers to keep the wheel centered .
Should be okay considering I'm at stock height. I'll be getting lowers for it as soon as I redo the suspension on my LJ.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #77
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Should be okay considering I'm at stock height. I'll be getting lowers for it as soon as I redo the suspension on my LJ.
Hopefully it wont roll too far forwards on you . I wonder if the additional strength of the new uppers will put additional stress on the stock lowers ?
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #78
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hopefully it wont roll too far forwards on you . I wonder if the additional strength of the new uppers will put additional stress on the stock lowers ?
It rolled it back a little, but not enough to make a difference.

I got the arms installed yesterday. It was a total pain I the ***, but worth it in the end. I no longer get vibes at high speeds, though they weren't bad to begin with. Savvy no longer puts wrench flats on their uppers, which makes it a major pain in the *** to adjust them and an even bigger pain to get the jam nuts right. I don't see what the big hype about Savvy is, but whatever.

forumrunner_20120518_092842.jpg

forumrunner_20120518_092934.jpg

forumrunner_20120518_093008.jpg

forumrunner_20120518_093026.jpg
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #79
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I wonder if the additional strength of the new uppers will put additional stress on the stock lowers ?
Where's the logic in that?

No wrench flats? WTF. That makes or breaks the difference of being a piece of cake or a PITA.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #80
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
No wrench flats? WTF. That makes or breaks the difference of being a piece of cake or a PITA.
Yep. I emailed gerald because I thought maybe the arms were wrong or something, but he responded saying they no longer used wrench flats because "people were abusing them." Had I known that when I ordered I would have gone with currie instead.
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #81
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, now that I think about it--just take a crescent wrench on both jam nuts simultaneously (both will want to rotate the arm the same direction) and give em hell. That will ensure that both are tight AND will ensure that both joints are concentric. Then just rotate the arm back to neutral and you're good to go. I guess the only problem is adjusting the arms. When I installed a set of these for a buddy, I used a jack under the pinion to set the axle where I wanted it and just had one end of the arms bolted up (frame end) with the other end resting inside the bracket. I rotated one so that I could just slip the bolt through and then did the same with the other one. Before you do that, you want the rig at ride height, the axle centered, and the axle square (using the lowers).
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #82
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, now that I think about it--just take a crescent wrench on both jam nuts simultaneously (both will want to rotate the arm the same direction) and give em hell. That will ensure that both are tight AND will ensure that both joints are concentric. Then just rotate the arm back to neutral and you're good to go. I guess the only problem is adjusting the arms. When I installed a set of these for a buddy, I used a jack under the pinion to set the axle where I wanted it and just had one end of the arms bolted up (frame end) with the other end resting inside the bracket. I rotated one so that I could just slip the bolt through and then did the same with the other one. Before you do that, you want the rig at ride height, the axle centered, and the axle square (using the lowers).
I only had one adjustable wrench with me so I had my dad hold the arms with a big pair of channel lock pliers while I tightened each of the jam nuts. Worked out okay, but wrench flats would have made it 100x easier.
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #83
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Rokmen uppers have wrench flats.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #84
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz
My Rokmen uppers have wrench flats.
Where is that double flip-off smiley when you need it?

If savvy carried rokmen arms I would have ordered those instead. I used my TJotM discount to get these arms.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #85
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
. Savvy no longer puts wrench flats on their uppers
The ease of adjustment is what differentiated their arms from others and made them the more logical choice ? I dont feel as bad now having stuck with the JKS arms that were a PITA to adjust .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Where's the logic in that?
It was merely speculation based on the uppers being so much stronger now and possibly putting more load on the lowers . Again just speculation .
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #86
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure, the uppers are stronger. That has no bearing on the lower arms, though. Just think about what they arms/links are actually doing.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #87
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The ease of adjustment is what differentiated their arms from others and made them the more logical choice ? I dont feel as bad now having stuck with the JKS arms that were a PITA to adjust .

It was merely speculation based on the uppers being so much stronger now and possibly putting more load on the lowers . Again just speculation .
I won't be recommending these arms to anyone, I am highly disappointed in them.

The uppers may be stronger than the lowers but the misalignment of the johnny joints will alleviate that issue, if there even is one.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #88
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jank, I get the frustration....I'd be a bit frustrated at that as well. But you still got yourself a nice pair of 6061-T6 aluminum threaded arms with JJ's at both ends and that's what matters....and having two forged JJ's = more available adjustment. Much superior to anything with rubber bushings, regardless of the adjustment method. They removed the flats for a reason and it makes sense--cranking on it is way too easy and can cross the threads in the tube if there's too much of a load on the arm. And FYI, I made a LH/RH arm for my front upper link and I didn't put wrench flats in it--with my welding gloves on, I can turn it under load and I locked down the jam nuts exactly as I told you to.
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #89
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jank, I get the frustration....I'd be a bit frustrated at that as well. But you still got yourself a nice pair of 6061-T6 aluminum threaded arms with JJ's at both ends and that's what matters....and having two forged JJ's = more available adjustment. Much superior to anything with rubber bushings, regardless of the adjustment method. They removed the flats for a reason and it makes sense--cranking on it is way too easy and can cross the threads in the tube if there's too much of a load on the arm. And FYI, I made a LH/RH arm for my front upper link and I didn't put wrench flats in it--with my welding gloves on, I can turn it under load and I locked down the jam nuts exactly as I told you to.
I understand that they are good arms, and I was going with double johnny joint arms regardless, I'm just peeved that they changed their arms and didn't advertise it. Even the pictures on their website still show them with wrench flats. I didn't get the product I expected.
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #90
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just scored a Detroit Truetrac for a D30 from the classifieds.

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.