2002 TJ budget rebuild - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #601
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Barnes looks good.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #602
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
As usual I stole more parts from the LJ for this build.

Old unknown brand front bumper:

New Barnes 4wd bumper and Champion winch:
Looks much better.
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #603
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got to do some wheeling today!

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #604
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Finally got to do some wheeling today!
How's your **** work?
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #605
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
How's your **** work?
It's hard to say yet.

It rides great on the trails, far better than it did before. The extra wheelbase, better suspension, outboarded shocks, and vertical coils help with that. Should ride even better once I put some quality shocks up front. Very pleased overall from that standpoint

I can't really say yet how well the suspension performs as I have yet to do any hard obstacles. I'll be able to tell more once I do the ledges next weekend at the jamboree (didn't want to risk doing those since I was out there by myself, they've gotten pretty rough lately).

Biggest complaint I have about the Jeep is actually unrelated to the stretch, and has been present since I built the Jeep last year. The check engine light is on (dont remember the codes), and occassionally the Jeep will stall out when the rpms drop, usually when coming to a stop. On road it never really bothered me (didn't drive it much anyway), but offroad it stalls out often. Even in first gear, as soon as you get on an obstacle and the tires bind up and the rpms drop under a grand, it stalls. It doesn't just putter out like when a car usually stalls out, the damn thing just dies. I'm clueless when it comes to motors and whatnot so I open to ideas on how to fix it. While it is very annoying that it stalls out, it is even more embarrassing than annoying because it makes me look like a total newb with a clutch.
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #606
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It's hard to say yet.

It rides great on the trails, far better than it did before. The extra wheelbase, better suspension, outboarded shocks, and vertical coils help with that. Should ride even better once I put some quality shocks up front. Very pleased overall from that standpoint

I can't really say yet how well the suspension performs as I have yet to do any hard obstacles. I'll be able to tell more once I do the ledges next weekend at the jamboree (didn't want to risk doing those since I was out there by myself, they've gotten pretty rough lately).

Biggest complaint I have about the Jeep is actually unrelated to the stretch, and has been present since I built the Jeep last year. The check engine light is on (dont remember the codes), and occassionally the Jeep will stall out when the rpms drop, usually when coming to a stop. On road it never really bothered me (didn't drive it much anyway), but offroad it stalls out often. Even in first gear, as soon as you get on an obstacle and the tires bind up and the rpms drop under a grand, it stalls. It doesn't just putter out like when a car usually stalls out, the damn thing just dies. I'm clueless when it comes to motors and whatnot so I open to ideas on how to fix it. While it is very annoying that it stalls out, it is even more embarrassing than annoying because it makes me look like a total newb with a clutch.
Does it idle low or rough? I guess throttle position sensor.
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #607
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got some good wheeling pictures from last weekend at URE. I omitted the best ones though for use in TJotM this month.

Unread 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #608
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking perfect! Any other plans for it?
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #609
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Looking perfect! Any other plans for it?
Not much really. I want to get some better shocks for the front and replace the worn out RC 2.5" coils and 2" spacers with the RC 4" coils I'll be removing from the front of my LJ soon. It also needs rear flares to match the front. I mainly just want to keep it in one piece while I focus on upgrading the LJ, so no more major mods for a while.
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #610
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice photos man! Rig is looking great, nice and classy looking. Glad to see you out using it and it looks like it's working good. As far as your stalling issue.... the first thing I would do is pull the code, and look it up. One thing I REALLY like about Dodge / Jeep, is that the diagnostic trouble codes usually DO lead you to the problem. If I was making an educated guess though I would say you have an intermittent crank shaft position sensor problem that manifests itself at low RPM. Luckily that part is easily changed and inexpensive. If not that then as the other member suggested, I'd be looking at the TPS, although when I've seen them fail you usually get an abnormally HIGH idle RPM.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #611
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Had a friend that works at a machine shop custom make an engine skid for me. I gave him the measurements and it took him all of five minutes to make. I had it made from 3/16" steel. I just need to add a lip to the front edge and make some mounting brackets for the front and it will be good to go. Better than spending $300 on a UCF skid.

Attachment 413421
sweet TJ! do you have any specs on the skid after you finished it?
SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #612
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellars View Post

sweet TJ! do you have any specs on the skid after you finished it?
What kind of specs are you wanting? It's just a simplified copy of a UCF engine skid and is functionally identical.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #613
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the skid looks identical to theirs and I have access to a break so it would save a ton. Not one in my area has one to measure to copy so I didnt know if you did since you had one made
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #614
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellars View Post
the skid looks identical to theirs and I have access to a break so it would save a ton. Not one in my area has one to measure to copy so I didnt know if you did since you had one made
I had measurements initially but they have disappeared, otherwise I would've had more made. I'll try to get some for you later.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #615
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I had measurements initially but they have disappeared, otherwise I would've had more made. I'll try to get some for you later.
Thanks man!

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.