Progress has lagged some. I didn't get much done over the weekend. On Saturday I pulled the front axle I'm going to be using (LP D30 from a '99 4cyl TJ). It needs some work, but it's from a Jeep I already have, so I can't complain too much.
Most obvious is the surface rust it has all over. Nothing too major to keep it from being used though. Since it is from a '99 model it has the old style rotors, and the hub assembly and axle shafts have some rust issues. To solve this I am pulling the shafts and everything from the 3.73 D30 I pulled from the frame I'm using and swapping them to the 4.10 axle. I finished the passenger side on Sunday (yesterday), but still need to do the driver side. I'm also pretty sure the driver side tube is bent from the wreck it was in though, so that will get fixed while the shaft is out. I also pulled the cover yesterday to check the gears and they looked pretty good. The axle also needs a new passenger side upper control arm mount and driver side lower control arm mount. If I have time I hope to get the axle done tomorrow, but I have a lot of work to get done at the shop so I don't know if it will happen or not.
I still have yet to pick up the Rubi D44 rear from a friend of mine. It is currently mostly dissasembled (long story) and he has been so swamped with work that he hasn't been able to get all the parts together for me. It's looking less and less like I will have this Jeep together in time for my URE trip on the 31st.
Picked up my rear axle yesterday. Still don't have the shafts or brakes yet, but I can at least get it painted and swung under the jeep. I plan on getting it washed and painted after classes today, along with the front axle, and then installing them tomorrow.
Both axles are in. All the bolts still need to be tightened, but that is the easy part. Gonna get that taken care of today after school, and then get the frame pressure washed. Then tomorrow morning I am going to paint the frame first thing, and once it dries the tub is going back on!
Today I got the front end finished up. I didn't notice until I had removed it, but the steering that was on the frame I'm using has a badly bent drag link. Good thing I replaced the whole thing with my old LJ steering.
Stock TJ on top, V8 ZJ on bottom:
Got the steering on, installed rotors, and bought new calipers:
Got the front end on its own weight:
Started on the rear axle, but only got as much done as seen here:
Back when I swapped my Rubi axles into my LJ, I had to replace one of the locker pumps. It costed about $100 for the one pump. I thought that was a reasonable price.
Fast forward one year. I need a locker pump for the rear axle I swapped into this TJ. Called up the parts dealer I use, tried to order the pump, and he tells me you can no longer order the pumps individually. You have to buy both pumps and the mounting bracket together for $330!
Looks like I am going to rob a pump from a wrecked Rubicon I will be fixing up to sale sometime in the future. I will try to find a used one for that Jeep.
Edit: Just found one online, but it won't get here in time for me to use it this weekend, so I'm just going to get it from the rubi anyways, and put a new one in that Jeep.