Got the Rubi Express skid dismounted from the bad frame. Since I am not using the long arms, I don't need the braces that wrap around the sides of the frame. The main bottom pieces have nutserts in them for the side braces to bolt to it, and they require you to drill big holes in the bottom of the frame for the nutserts to fit through. Since I have no need for the nutserts and no desire to drill holes in my frame, I just took a grinder to them.
The khaki TJ had a Ford 8.8 rear end that was destroyed in the wreck. It also took the side of the CV shaft connected to the 8.8 (broke the ears off). The side with the CV joint is still good though. I found another CV shaft inside the khaki tub when I was cleaning it out. It is exactly like the one mounted on it, except the CV joint is broken on it. Pretty lucky that I have 2 broken CV driveshafts that can be combined in to one!
I gotta say, transfer cases are very simple considering what all they do. I expected it to be way more complicated than it was. It was time consuming for sure, but overall a very easy job. The skid went on surprisingly easy considering it was transfered from one wrecked Jeep (with frame damage) to another wrecked Jeep. Bolted right up no problem though.
This post was from today, so the thread is finally up to date.
I'd be interested in seeing some damage pics of the frame on the jumped Jeep if you have any.
It really isn't anything spectacular to look at. You can't tell by looking at a picture that it is bent. The other damage was:
busted transfer case
busted oil pan
broken rear track bar mount
bent catalytic converter
obliterated Ford 8.8
bent Dana 30
bent front driveshaft
broken rear CV drivehsaft
destroyed 6 out of 8 RE control arms
damaged 2 of the 5 rims (all tires were okay)
So... today was technically my last day of Spring break, so I decided to take a lazy day. Work will resume first thing in the morning though.
So I think I've changed my mind on how to build this thing again. Believe it or not that has only happened every single day.
For now I am going to keep it on the stock suspension, with only a 1" BL. I'm going to run a set of 265x75r15 Hercules Terra Tracs that I already have. Still undecided on rims, might just go with the hackneyed Soft 8. They are pretty small for a 265, barely any bigger than my 30" Cooper STTs I ran on first TJ back 3 years ago. Still going to have the Rubi 44 rear w/ 4.10s. Then I'm going to daily drive the crap out of it and do some light offroading.
Hopefully working full-time this Summer with fund my mid-arm project for the LJ (which will score this TJ a set of Currie arms) with enough dough left over for a few mods to the TJ. Namely, I would like to do a custom 0" deep tranny skid, DIY highline fenders, outboarded rear shocks, and extended front shock towers (around 10" travel because I will be keeping stock coils). A set of 33" Mud Dawgs I used to run on my LJ before upgrading to 35s will finish it off for a nice mild LCOG set-up. Don't hold your breath though, I will probably change my mind again by then!
Here is the tire I will be running, but not with that rim (since I don't have a full set and they have been discontinued):