2002 TJ budget rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97

Yeah, that's not gonna last too long man.

Looks like this TJ will end up being pretty sweet. You'd probably have more fun at URE in a more stock-ish TJ since your LJ makes Daniel trail look like paved road

How come you didn't just keep the 'Cloaks on it though?
2 jeeps with Metalcloaks and 35s is a little excessive wouldn't you say? :haha:

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd be interested in seeing some damage pics of the frame on the jumped Jeep if you have any.
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
2 jeeps with Metalcloaks and 35s is a little excessive wouldn't you say? :haha:
Well, I was just figuring you'd want to have the TJ on 35's for when you decide that 35's are too small for the LJ
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 4

Got the rear axle out to prep for sale:

25.jpg

Got the Rubi Express skid dismounted from the bad frame. Since I am not using the long arms, I don't need the braces that wrap around the sides of the frame. The main bottom pieces have nutserts in them for the side braces to bolt to it, and they require you to drill big holes in the bottom of the frame for the nutserts to fit through. Since I have no need for the nutserts and no desire to drill holes in my frame, I just took a grinder to them.

26.jpg

The khaki TJ had a Ford 8.8 rear end that was destroyed in the wreck. It also took the side of the CV shaft connected to the 8.8 (broke the ears off). The side with the CV joint is still good though. I found another CV shaft inside the khaki tub when I was cleaning it out. It is exactly like the one mounted on it, except the CV joint is broken on it. Pretty lucky that I have 2 broken CV driveshafts that can be combined in to one!

27.jpg

Put the khaki tub outside until I need it:

28.jpg

Also got the SYE taken off, but no pics.
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So is this thing gonna be ready for URE?
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
So is this thing gonna be ready for URE?
I hope so. That is the plan anyways. Should be doable at the rate I am working on it. Still have 3 more days before school starts back up.
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 5

Worked today on the SYE and TT.

SYE and good transfer case ready to be mated:

29.jpg

SYE and TT installed:

30.jpg

Clearance with the Rubi Express skid:

31.jpg

I gotta say, transfer cases are very simple considering what all they do. I expected it to be way more complicated than it was. It was time consuming for sure, but overall a very easy job. The skid went on surprisingly easy considering it was transfered from one wrecked Jeep (with frame damage) to another wrecked Jeep. Bolted right up no problem though.

This post was from today, so the thread is finally up to date.
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07 View Post
I'd be interested in seeing some damage pics of the frame on the jumped Jeep if you have any.
It really isn't anything spectacular to look at. You can't tell by looking at a picture that it is bent. The other damage was:

busted transfer case
busted oil pan
broken rear track bar mount
bent catalytic converter
obliterated Ford 8.8
bent Dana 30
bent front driveshaft
broken rear CV drivehsaft
destroyed 6 out of 8 RE control arms
damaged 2 of the 5 rims (all tires were okay)
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I hope so. That is the plan anyways. Should be doable at the rate I am working on it. Still have 3 more days before school starts back up.
Yeah, you're really moving! Wish I was on break for a week. I had a three hour Physics test and a two-and-a-half hour Calc test today
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 6

So... today was technically my last day of Spring break, so I decided to take a lazy day. Work will resume first thing in the morning though.

So I think I've changed my mind on how to build this thing again. Believe it or not that has only happened every single day.

For now I am going to keep it on the stock suspension, with only a 1" BL. I'm going to run a set of 265x75r15 Hercules Terra Tracs that I already have. Still undecided on rims, might just go with the hackneyed Soft 8. They are pretty small for a 265, barely any bigger than my 30" Cooper STTs I ran on first TJ back 3 years ago. Still going to have the Rubi 44 rear w/ 4.10s. Then I'm going to daily drive the crap out of it and do some light offroading.

Hopefully working full-time this Summer with fund my mid-arm project for the LJ (which will score this TJ a set of Currie arms) with enough dough left over for a few mods to the TJ. Namely, I would like to do a custom 0" deep tranny skid, DIY highline fenders, outboarded rear shocks, and extended front shock towers (around 10" travel because I will be keeping stock coils). A set of 33" Mud Dawgs I used to run on my LJ before upgrading to 35s will finish it off for a nice mild LCOG set-up. Don't hold your breath though, I will probably change my mind again by then!

Here is the tire I will be running, but not with that rim (since I don't have a full set and they have been discontinued):

23.jpg

Any questions?
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't you in college? Where the **** are you getting the money and time for these projects?
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Aren't you in college? Where the **** are you getting the money and time for these projects?
Don't you know what kind of "stuff" you can haul with all that extra cargo room in an LJ?

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97

Don't you know what kind of "stuff" you can haul with all that extra cargo room in an LJ?

Well we are in nc after all. Jankoid, you movin hooch in that big red wagon?
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Yup, sophomore in college.

Time? I'm on spring break so I've had the entire last week off. Money? I set up my schedule so I only have classes 3 days a week, and I work 8 hour days the other 4 at my dad's body shop.

Though technically this project hasn't costed me anything so far. My dad owns the Jeeps, so eventually he will sell the finished product and I will be left with just my LJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post

Stop implying things.
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #30
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fair enough, I'm impressed you can fit all that into a week

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.