If you have read my rebuild thread on my 2006 LJ, then the process I'm about to document should be familiar. Unlike my LJ, where I did a thorough rebuild, including full body work and paint, and then majorly overbuilt it, this build will be fairly simple. It will be classified as a budget build because I plan to spend as little money on it as possible. We'll see how long that plan lasts!
What am I starting with? I have two TJs, both 2002 models. One TJ has major frame damage, the other has major body damage. The solution? Make 2 out of 1 of course!
The Khaki TJ below will be the tub doner. It has a some pretty serious frame damage. The tub however is in excellent shape considering the damge done to the undercarriage. Has some damage to the rear corners and the front left side is crumpled a little below the door frame, but it's nothing that bothers me. As far as the damage, it looks like someone had a little too much fun with some jumps!
Completely trashed the Rubicon Express long arm kit, and the Ford 8.8 in the rear has a pretty severe bend in it. Transfer case and transmission are busted. The MetalCloaks will be removed and sold (they are posted in the classifieds right now, somebody PLEASE buy them). Now for a picture:
The silver TJ below will be the frame doner. It took a pretty nasty roll. Frame is in great shape. The front axle needs new upper and lower control arms brackets on the passenger side (probably won't use that axle anyways though). Engine is VERY clean (more about the engine later on). Now for pictures:
It has a 2" budget boost on it, and when I bought it it had 32" BFG ATs (which I traded for the 35" BFG ATs I run on my LJ sometimes). The wheels on it now came off of my MJ.
My goal for this Jeep is a nice daily driver for myself. I want to keep it on smallish tires (probably 32x11.50) and around 2" of lift (handed down from my LJ). It will be getting stock fenders (which I managed to snag here on JF already the right color for cheap). It will have other mods too (like a tummy tucker, SYE, lockers, etc) that I will get to later.
That is all for now. More updates soon. I'm hoping to have this thing going by the end of the week, though the definite goal is by the end of the month (2 weeks).