2002 TJ budget rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 2002 TJ budget rebuild

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2002 TJ budget rebuild

If you have read my rebuild thread on my 2006 LJ, then the process I'm about to document should be familiar. Unlike my LJ, where I did a thorough rebuild, including full body work and paint, and then majorly overbuilt it, this build will be fairly simple. It will be classified as a budget build because I plan to spend as little money on it as possible. We'll see how long that plan lasts!

What am I starting with? I have two TJs, both 2002 models. One TJ has major frame damage, the other has major body damage. The solution? Make 2 out of 1 of course!

The Khaki TJ below will be the tub doner. It has a some pretty serious frame damage. The tub however is in excellent shape considering the damge done to the undercarriage. Has some damage to the rear corners and the front left side is crumpled a little below the door frame, but it's nothing that bothers me. As far as the damage, it looks like someone had a little too much fun with some jumps! Completely trashed the Rubicon Express long arm kit, and the Ford 8.8 in the rear has a pretty severe bend in it. Transfer case and transmission are busted. The MetalCloaks will be removed and sold (they are posted in the classifieds right now, somebody PLEASE buy them). Now for a picture:

2.jpg

The silver TJ below will be the frame doner. It took a pretty nasty roll. Frame is in great shape. The front axle needs new upper and lower control arms brackets on the passenger side (probably won't use that axle anyways though). Engine is VERY clean (more about the engine later on). Now for pictures:

1.jpg

It has a 2" budget boost on it, and when I bought it it had 32" BFG ATs (which I traded for the 35" BFG ATs I run on my LJ sometimes). The wheels on it now came off of my MJ.

3.jpg

4.jpg

My goal for this Jeep is a nice daily driver for myself. I want to keep it on smallish tires (probably 32x11.50) and around 2" of lift (handed down from my LJ). It will be getting stock fenders (which I managed to snag here on JF already the right color for cheap). It will have other mods too (like a tummy tucker, SYE, lockers, etc) that I will get to later.

That is all for now. More updates soon. I'm hoping to have this thing going by the end of the week, though the definite goal is by the end of the month (2 weeks).

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wicked awsome man, and I tried lookin up the Metal Cloaks on Classified but didn't seem em but this lookes likes its gunna be a great build. And good luck!

[QUOTE=freedommachine;12840223]If it makes you paranoid and requires forum discussions it belongs on a Jeep.[/QUOTE]

"Well boss, a diesel needs its oil like a sailor needs his rum."- Capt. Ron
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotparty View Post
Wicked awsome man, and I tried lookin up the Metal Cloaks on Classified but didn't seem em but this lookes likes its gunna be a great build. And good luck!
Thanks! And the link to the cloaks is in my sig.
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Build plans

As I stated before, this is going to be a budget build (mainly because that is all I can afford right now ). I also want to make it a capable trail rig in its own right. My dad has been wanting a rig for himself so that he can come wheeling with me when I take the LJ out, so I figure I can build a DD for myself a and light duty trail rig for my dad.

I'm going to keep it on small tires. My current plan is to order a set of 32x11.50r15 MTRs (I am selling the stock D44 that is in the silver TJ). Why am I selling a perfectly good D44? Because I am putting a stock Rubicon rear D44 in it, that is why. It will have a 4cyl D30 in the front so the gears will match. The 4.10 gears should work pretty good with the 5 speed and 32" tires.

For a lift I will be utilizing parts from my old RC lift I had on my LJ. This includes RC 2.5" front coils, and a full set of RC 2.2 shocks. For the rear it will be keeping the stock coils and some 2" spacers. The frame I am using already has a 1" M.O.R.E. motor mount lift, and I am trying to decide if I am going to use the 1" body lift that is already on it. For now it will be using stock control arms, but when I eventually do a custom mid arm on my LJ it will get the Currie arms that are on the LJ now.

The khaki TJ had several mods done to it, some of which will be carried over. One such mod is the Rubicon Express transfer case skid. It is made for the long arm kit, but I am going to just use it with short arms like a tummy tucker. It hangs only 2.5" below the frame rail and is smoothe on the bottom. The khaki TJ also had a SYE, which will be transferred to the new frame. I have to remove the SYE and install it on the other transfer case because the transfer it is mounted is cracked in half.

I am removing the MetalCloaks and returning the fenders and flares back to stock. Since I am not doing any body work at this time, this will leave all of the holes in the tub. The rear flares will cover the holes from the MC flares, and a pair of Trail Gear rock sliders (which I have had for quite some time) will replace the MC rock sliders.

Other than the tires, I plan to purchase a set of either Rokmen or PSC trail corners (to cover up some damage on the tub), adjustable rear upper control arms, and a UCF engine skid (should bolt up to the RE skid no problem).

That was a LOT of typing. Next will be a real update.
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 1

I started out by prepping the silver TJ for removal of the tub. First thing to do was remove the damaged fenders. I have done this a dozen times by now, so it is second nature to me.

7.jpg

6.jpg

Here is a pic of the M.O.R.E. motor mount lift:

8.jpg

The final task I completed in day 1 of this project was to remove the dash. Again, I have done this so many times it is a half hour job at most.

9.jpg

I only had half a day to work on it on day 1, so I didn't accomplish very much.
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 2

Once again I only had half a day to work on the Jeeps, so this was all I accomplished on day 2:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

It already has a Borla exhaust, and the axle in that pictures has already been removed and will go bye bye tomorrow!
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Day 3

On day 3 I started on the khaki TJ. First step was to remove the MetalCloaks.

13.jpg

Stock flare covers all of the holes from the MetalCloak flares.

14.jpg

The khaki tub has a nice bedliner job already.

15.jpg

This was a nice suprise when taking the dash out: Pioneer speakers, with a matching set in the speaker bar. It also has a Pioneer head unit already installed!

16.jpg

Finished pulling the dash:

17.jpg

Another couple hours of work and I got to this point:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Not bad for a day of work I'd say.
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Crawled... very excited to watch this build.
OME HD Springs and Shocks
Kongo Rack
76silvercj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You have entirely too much time on your hands ! I havent finished my LJ and your on your third build already !
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome man. I still am looking for a place here locally I can do the same some day.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76silvercj5 View Post
Crawled... very excited to watch this build.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You have entirely too much time on your hands! I havent finished my LJ and your on your third build already!
To be fair, I haven't done a thing to my MJ since I bought it. You are right though, I do have too much time on my hands. I am on Spring Break from school this week so I am trying to get as much of it done as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Awesome man. I still am looking for a place here locally I can do the same some day.
Thanks. It is definitely nice to have the space to work on projects like this. Working on Jeeps in a garage blows!
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd, this will be pretty fun to watch
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
donshaw

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
donshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Helps having the right tools, ie...forklift. Looks like you'll have er whipped into shape in no time!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #15
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I plan to spend as little money on it as possible. We'll see how long that plan lasts!
Yeah, that's not gonna last too long man.

Looks like this TJ will end up being pretty sweet. You'd probably have more fun at URE in a more stock-ish TJ since your LJ makes Daniel trail look like paved road

How come you didn't just keep the 'Cloaks on it though?

Tags
nc guys , needs to clean the garage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.