2002 TJ-7 Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
TJ_Dan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
2002 TJ-7 Build

Having posted previously about building my TJ on a "budget", my plans have changed. Thankfully the lack of progress on my build has allowed me to change my mind and go with something I've been wanting to see done for a while, a CJ throwback. Even if I'm not the only one who has done a project like this, it will still be unique to me. My plans are to modify the stock panels and parts to resemble a CJ, but still retain the TJ styling. I call it the TJ-7. I haven't started on this project yet other than some research of what parts I'll be using and the prices of them. So without further adue, the build plans:

CJ turn signals mounted on grille, stock TJ turn signal holes filled in.
Ford 8.8 rear with 4.10's and LSD out of an Exploder
2" coil lift
1" body lift
33x12.50 tires (probably General Grabber AT2's because of price, and I've had them before on a previous vehicle and really liked them)
CJ tailgate conversion
bumper mounted tire carrier
Dana 44 front axle (or possibly keep the 30, not 100% sure)
Custom CJ style "baby crusher" roll cage utilizing factory TJ cage
CJ windshield mounted mirrors
Bestop original Supertop
4.6L stroker
CJ fender mounted marker lights
Classic D-window styled steelies

Since this Jeep will remain as my daily for the foreseeable future, I don't want to turn it into an extreme trail rig, but it still will get trail time. I do have other plans for another Jeep to be used as only a trail rig, which I'll post about once I acquire said other Jeep. If anyone has any ideas of what I could do to this Jeep, I'd be happy to hear them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

For 33s, you could probably keep the 30/35 and never have a serious issue. The 8.8 has a huge center section and will hang low on that small of a tire. No need for a 44 front on 33s as well. 4.10s should be about perfect for that tire size and trans.

06 WK 5.7 Hemi Overland - Daily
87 MJ Chief 57k original miles... getting built in the backyard. 37s, waggy axles, D300, 6 speed, etc.

Gone - 05 LJ on 37s, 79 FSJ Chief on 38s, 85 CJ-7 on 31s
post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
TJ_Dan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
For 33s, you could probably keep the 30/35 and never have a serious issue. The 8.8 has a huge center section and will hang low on that small of a tire. No need for a 44 front on 33s as well. 4.10s should be about perfect for that tire size and trans.
I've decided against the 44 for the front axle, though the 8.8 was decided more because I don't plan on leaving the motor stock, and I can get one for pretty cheap. Probably a 4.6 stroker or a 5.3 Vortec (probably built up a bit). I might end up with 35's as well. I have quite a lot of experience with the 8.8 being a former Ford mechanic and actually really like the setup, even though it does hang a bit lower

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
TJ_Dan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Installed a Cobra 29 wx nw st that I got for free into the center console today. Ran all wires under the center trim. When I hooked everything up I went to tune it and found out I had 1.3 on 40 and 1.1 on 1. Plenty good for me. Very neat install, if I took the antenna off, no one would know I had a CB in the console.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.